PDA

View Full Version : NEW ORC RULE: Penalize Owners For Positives

Cangamble
04-04-2008, 08:13 PM
The most dramatic ruling includes an "owner responsibility" rule under which any horse testing positive for a Class 1, 2, or 3 medication would automatically be ineligible to race for 90 days.

Previously, an owner could transfer such a horse to another horseman if his trainer were suspended for a positive test.

"Certainly, it's a rule we've been supportive of," said Nick Eaves. "Owner accountability is fundamentally fair. And, it should result in the bettor being more confident in our product."

This is bull crap. How many owners can even read a vet bill let alone know what a trainer is doing in order to win.

In light of Finley's article which states that Lasix masks other drugs, how can you hold the owner responsible?

Who is responsible if parents hire a doctor to take care of a sick kid and the doctor performs malpractise and the child dies?

onefast99
04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
The most dramatic ruling includes an "owner responsibility" rule under which any horse testing positive for a Class 1, 2, or 3 medication would automatically be ineligible to race for 90 days.

Previously, an owner could transfer such a horse to another horseman if his trainer were suspended for a positive test.

"Certainly, it's a rule we've been supportive of," said Nick Eaves. "Owner accountability is fundamentally fair. And, it should result in the bettor being more confident in our product."

This is bull crap. How many owners can even read a vet bill let alone know what a trainer is doing in order to win.

In light of Finley's article which states that Lasix masks other drugs, how can you hold the owner responsible?

Who is responsible if parents hire a doctor to take care of a sick kid and the doctor performs malpractise and the child dies?
For the first 5 years in this business i trusted our trainer like a family member. I began to research every vet bill and the reasons why the horses received a certain medication. Low and behold I have found a lot of real interesting things about the past trainer and the vet group. I am now on top of every bill and suggest that anyone who owns a race horse investigate why a horse would need the meds a vet is giving them. The fact that the racing commission would hold it against the owner is absolutely the worst thing for this sport. Once the owner is out of racing the sport will cease to exist as we know it today.

Pace Cap'n
04-04-2008, 09:16 PM
What is an "ORC rule"?

Shenanigans
04-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe this will mean there will be some real serious contracts drawn up between owners and trainers?

Cangamble
04-04-2008, 09:23 PM
What is an "ORC rule"?
The Ontario Racing Commission.

Cangamble
04-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Maybe this will mean there will be some real serious contracts drawn up between owners and trainers?
What can be in there? "Don't take shots with drugs on my horses, or else?"

Kelso
04-04-2008, 11:20 PM
What can be in there? "Don't take shots with drugs on my horses, or else?"

No ... "or this is how much money I'll collect out of the performance bond I'm requiring you to post by this contract."

JustRalph
04-05-2008, 04:39 AM
No ... "or this is how much money I'll collect out of the performance bond I'm requiring you to post by this contract."

That was exactly what I was thinking..............include a penalty............ this will have a serious effect.

john del riccio
04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
For the first 5 years in this business i trusted our trainer like a family member. I began to research every vet bill and the reasons why the horses received a certain medication. Low and behold I have found a lot of real interesting things about the past trainer and the vet group. I am now on top of every bill and suggest that anyone who owns a race horse investigate why a horse would need the meds a vet is giving them. The fact that the racing commission would hold it against the owner is absolutely the worst thing for this sport. Once the owner is out of racing the sport will cease to exist as we know it today.

This is a load of crap. It may be time for me to exit stage right.

Its like a CEO that wacks the (pick-a-title) when thew company gets caught with their pants down.

Great news.....

John

Cangamble
04-05-2008, 08:52 AM
That was exactly what I was thinking..............include a penalty............ this will have a serious effect.
In the real world, there is nothing being written in the contracts between owners and trainers with respect to this new rule to my knowledge.
And good luck collecting from most trainers in Ontario if something was written in.

onefast99
04-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm sure many trainers will think they are immune to such a piece of paper called a contract. The real story here is how do you find an honest trainer that tells you everything?

john del riccio
04-05-2008, 09:50 AM
The real story here is how do you find an honest trainer that tells you everything?

Anyone that has ever been on the backstretch is laughing themselves into a tizzy after reading this one. Less than 5%.

John

Tom
04-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Hmmmmmm, owners get the money, doesn't it follow they share the responsibility? I think this is great -owners need to hold thier trainers and vets accountable and be punished when they do not.

Cangamble
04-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Hmmmmmm, owners get the money, doesn't it follow they share the responsibility? I think this is great -owners need to hold thier trainers and vets accountable and be punished when they do not.
Trainers are more like contractors than direct employees. They usually have a piece of other horses or own other horses outright, and have other clients.
My example of taking a sick child to the doctor is a good example of this.
I can see the owners being responsible if they have an exclusive trainer, one who doesn't take other horses, but not in most instances.

Semipro
04-05-2008, 12:03 PM
What is an "ORC rule"?Outoftouch racing commission.:ThmbDown:

Semipro
04-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Anyone that has ever been on the backstretch is laughing themselves into a tizzy after reading this one. Less than 5%.

JohnI beg to differ 5% is way to high.:rolleyes:

john del riccio
04-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Hmmmmmm, owners get the money, doesn't it follow they share the responsibility? I think this is great -owners need to hold thier trainers and vets accountable and be punished when they do not.Tom,

Owners also have to pay for the upkeep. It aint cheap. Administering meds is the responsibility of the vet & trainer, not the owner.

John

john del riccio
04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I beg to differ 5% is way to high.:rolleyes:

I was trying to be nice.......

John

Kelso
04-06-2008, 01:16 AM
And good luck collecting from most trainers in Ontario if something was written in.

Hence, a performance bond required of the trainer. No bond ... no work. He pays for the bond up front, or he doesn't get paid anything at all.

(And the less ethically challenged the trainer, the cheaper will be his bonds over time.)

Cangamble
04-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Hence, a performance bond required of the trainer. No bond ... no work. He pays for the bond up front, or he doesn't get paid anything at all.

(And the less ethically challenged the trainer, the cheaper will be his bonds over time.)
It will never happen. Take Fort Erie for instance, without start up credit from feed stores, horses in the backstretch would look like a bunch of Starvin Marvins (South Park reference)

Tom
04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Tom,

Owners also have to pay for the upkeep. It aint cheap. Administering meds is the responsibility of the vet & trainer, not the owner.

John

But isn't the vet and trainer the owner's responsiblity? Aren't bakery owners accountable for thier driver's actions?
When some slimeball trainer or vet steal the pool money, it is very expensive fore the crowd, too. Frankly, I think the owners/trainers should be liable to replace th pool money they stole. Every nickle of it.

CryingForTheHorses
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
It will never happen. Take Fort Erie for instance, without start up credit from feed stores, horses in the backstretch would look like a bunch of Starvin Marvins (South Park reference)

Im surprised at your your accusations,I myself know a LOT of owners and trainers that race at Ft Erie,Seems the ones I do know put themselves behind their horses and would go without to make sure they are well cared for,For a guy who races at Ft Erie,I dont understand why the knock on "The Forts" people.Im sure you also had "Startup" credit during your lifetime.In all the years that I spent at the Fort your post holds NO merit.

Cangamble
04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Im surprised at your your accusations,I myself know a LOT of owners and trainers that race at Ft Erie,Seems the ones I do know put themselves behind their horses and would go without to make sure they are well cared for,For a guy who races at Ft Erie,I dont understand why the knock on "The Forts" people.Im sure you also had "Startup" credit during your lifetime.In all the years that I spent at the Fort your post holds NO merit.
I'm not knocking the horsemen as being non caring. I'm saying that without startup credit, many of them wouldn't be in business. I think Fort Erie horsemen look after horses as well if not better than horsemen at Woodbine do as far as caring for them.
My point is that you couldn't get bond money from them at the start of the season with few exceptions.