PDA

View Full Version : Cutback or not?

misscashalot
04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Is 1 mile on the Aqu Main dirt a cutback from 1 mile on the Aqu Inner dirt?

gillenr
04-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I've always treated one turn miles differently than two turn miles. Short run to first turn, and the effect of two turns on lead changes.

cj
04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't call it a cutback, as the distance is obviously the same. However, where on the inner the outside is at a disadvantage, on the main it is advantaged.

slewis
04-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Is 1 mile on the Aqu Main dirt a cutback from 1 mile on the Aqu Inner dirt?

Just the opposite.

The one turn mile is much tougher and the better athlete wins more often then the trip horse.

Horses get a breather on the turn as they have to slow down and jockey for pos.
I equate it to a 7 furlong race.

I've complained to the racing office that they should NEVER run a four yr old & up race at 1mile on the INNER track. It gives to much edge to inside horses.

Of course, it fell on deaf ears. At least when I went in to the NYRA stakes co-ordinator Andrew Byrnes and complained that they should NEVER have just 1 two-turn race on important stakes days (or even EVER !.. see the charts of Gotham day) he agreed.
Can you trust Visonaires and Tex wildcatter's 98 beyers with NO OTHER RACES to compare to???????? (two-turn)
Dont dare try to come up with a two-turn variant off a bunch of one turn sprints, trust me, it DOES NOT WORK.
That Beyer is purely subjective.

proximity
04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
obviously as cj said, it is the same distance. in practice though, i kinda treat it as a "stretch out." imo, they are more grinding and demanding races.

cj
04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
At least when I went in to the NYRA stakes co-ordinator Andrew Byrnes and complained that they should NEVER have just 1 two-turn race on important stakes days (or even EVER !.. see the charts of Gotham day) he agreed.
Can you trust Visonaires and Tex wildcatter's 98 beyers with NO OTHER RACES to compare to???????? (two-turn)
Dont dare try to come up with a two-turn variant off a bunch of one turn sprints, trust me, it DOES NOT WORK.
That Beyer is purely subjective.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. At least on Wood day the prior race is also at 9f. Usually the Wood "stands alone".

Tom
04-04-2008, 03:22 PM
:eek:

classhandicapper
04-04-2008, 03:39 PM
This has always been a pet peeve of mine. At least on Wood day the prior race is also at 9f. Usually the Wood "stands alone".

I don't have a huge problem with the 1 mile - 1 1/8 mile races standing alone because at least some of the horses have a long enough record to make an educated guess on the figure and I could always evaluate the field from a qualitative perspective.

I really hate when they run one 10F or 12F race at Belmont because many have never been that far, fewer want to run that far, and they seem to put the gate in different spots and at different angles. It's seems like every single year figure makers debate the Belmont Stakes and a couple of big races at 10F at Belmont.