PDA

View Full Version : Happy 19,000th

Bruddah
04-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Terry Wallace's seventh-race call on Wednesday was his world-record 19,000th consecutive race call at Oaklawn.

Congratulations Terry, that's a lot of race calls. :eek: :ThmbUp:

Zaf
04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
WOW ! :jump:

toetoe
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
And here they come into the ("short" sometimes inserted at this point) stretch !

Oddzilla
04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Holy crap. How long has he been calling races?

sandpit
04-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Great guy, but I can't stand his race calls. He misses or forgets things constantly. My friend had a horse race there about a decade ago. He broke on top and stayed there, winning by 3 or 4 lengths in a six furlong race. Terry didn't call the horse's name once the entire time. We were watching at the simo outlet in Louisville, and my buddy was nervous as hell the whole race because he thought he had the lead but wasn't sure since his horse wasn't getting called.

Marshall Bennett
04-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Great guy, but I can't stand his race calls. He misses or forgets things constantly. My friend had a horse race there about a decade ago. He broke on top and stayed there, winning by 3 or 4 lengths in a six furlong race. Terry didn't call the horse's name once the entire time. We were watching at the simo outlet in Louisville, and my buddy was nervous as hell the whole race because he thought he had the lead but wasn't sure since his horse wasn't getting called.
Cal Ripkin struck out a few times during his stretch . At least you know what your getting each time you go to the track .

Semipro
04-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Holy crap. How long has he been calling races? Cut my teeth at Oaklawn and first started attending in1968.Terry was calling then so for at least 40 years.He was really a good announcer for a long time.I think it's grand that Cella has allowed him to stay and will always respect him as a man and race caller. Terry if you read this I hope you make it to 20,000.Guy

Bruddah
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Terry Wallace is Oaklawn's Director of Media Relations and Track Announcer. He begins his 34th season as Oaklawn's track announcer in 2008 and has headed the Media Relations Department since 1984. He is also Simulcast Host during the track's Simulcast Season and a member of the Oaklawn Senior Management Team.

Called "The Most Recognizable Voice In Arkansas", Terry has called every race at Oaklawn since 1975, never missing a day at the track during that lengthy stretch. Through the 2006 live season he has called over 18,000 consecutive races at Oaklawn. One of racing's most versatile individuals, he has performed as race-caller at Ak-Sar-Ben, The Great Barrington Fair, Louisiana Downs, River Downs, Horsemens Park and numerous other tracks; as a journalist he has been a regular contributor for Daily Racing Form and a number of other newspapers and racing periodicals; and as a broadcaster, his race calls have become popular throughout the nation.

Wallace has a B.A. degree from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he majored in modern languages. He also spent a year at The Sorbonne in Paris.

GaryG
04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Joe Hernandez called 15,587 at Santa Anita. Would have had more if he had not died as a result of being kicked in the stomach by a horse.

QuarterCrack
04-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Just saw a program about Joe Hernandez a couple weeks ago - he actually died in the middle of a racecall. He got kicked by the horse in the morning and wasn't feeling well after that, but still went up to call the races. Listening to it, he sounded disoriented somewhat in the first part of the race, and about halfway through, he gave out.
It was pretty interesting - the show talked about him calling all of those races. He would do production work for the Caliente races as well.