PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article by Steve Crist: Fix Six

Dave Schwartz
03-31-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.drf.com/newsletter/04crist.html

DRF's newsletter, which I just received, has an excellent article by Dave Litfin on the FixSixscandal.

Years after Fix Six, little has changed
By STEVEN CRIST
NEW YORK - More than five years after clumsy criminals nearly hijacked $3 million from the pick-six pool at the 2002 Breeders' Cup, are the American parimutuel pools that total $15 billion a year in Thoroughbred wagers safe and secure?

bigmack
03-31-2008, 11:59 PM
More than five years after clumsy criminals nearly hijacked $3 million from the pick-six pool at the 2002 Breeders' Cup
Volponi exposed clumsiness?

"… the fan sees these odds drops every day. Shouldn't this be a warning shot to the industry? We spend $30 million to typically find a few Bute overages and we spend virtually nothing overlooking the pools. I'm not saying that drug testing is not important, but for the first time we have proof that wagering integrity is at the forefront for the typical fan."
Wagering integrity from a network that can’t figure out that it’s 2008 and not 1998 is expected. Crist seems like a nice enough fellow but this cry is in vain to this industry. They don’t get it. Or, they don’t want to get it.

JustRalph
04-01-2008, 12:23 AM
They don’t get it. Or, they don’t want to get it.

Using the auditory prowess of Mort Goldman............Ding!!!

This is why the only way to get anything changed is to take money out of their pockets.

Kelso
04-01-2008, 12:25 AM
From the article:
"It has become clear that past-posting is not always a paranoid delusion by losing horseplayers, but a real problem: A New York official at the convention reported eight incidents in New York in the last two years alone where betting was still available while a race was being run."

Anybody still doubt past-posting is real and widespread?

Thanks for posting this important column, Dave. I forwarded the link to my local rag and urged them to do a story ... or a series ... on the issue.

ManeMediaMogul
04-01-2008, 07:43 AM
There is a new protocol being instituted at tracks around the country to combat the "past posting" problem. Keeneland will have it in full force for the spring meeting so you may bet with total confidence there.

Any time human error is involved there will be screw-ups, but fans hated the "close the windows a minute to post" solution. So now, there are three safeguards to closing the mutuel machines when the gate opens.

rokitman
04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Who is the chickie in the av, Mane?

m001001
04-01-2008, 10:21 AM
From the article:
"It has become clear that past-posting is not always a paranoid delusion by losing horseplayers, but a real problem: A New York official at the convention reported eight incidents in New York in the last two years alone where betting was still available while a race was being run."

Anybody still doubt past-posting is real and widespread?

Thanks for posting this important column, Dave. I forwarded the link to my local rag and urged them to do a story ... or a series ... on the issue.

NYRA runs about 2000 races a year, or 4000 races in two years.

8 incidents out of 4000 races = 0.2% = widespread?

How about see this the other way, when a guy is able to complete 99.8% of his job assignment, would you say he is not able to do his job on a regular basis?

Dave Schwartz
04-01-2008, 10:47 AM
8 incidents that were caught may translate into a cottage industry.

ManeMediaMogul
04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Who is the chickie in the av, Mane?

That is Robyn Caroline Smith, the jockey that rode a lot of Alfred G. Vanderbilt's horses in the late seventies. She also rode Life's Hope for Laz Barrera and several horses for H. Allen Jerkens.

She was a babe back then and is a very attractive older lady now. She was married to Fred Astaire for about the last 15 years of his life and from what I understand, she is now a private jet pilot.

cj
04-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Crist writes great articles. The problem is that few in the industry, outside of NYRA at least, bother to read them. If they do read them, they ignore them.

trigger
04-01-2008, 11:43 AM

How about see this the other way, when a guy is able to complete 99.8% of his job assignment, would you say he is not able to do his job on a regular basis?
You are assuming these incidents were unintentional and not part of a betting coup. Do you think Vegas allows anomalies like this on their high stakes games?

SMOO
04-01-2008, 12:22 PM
You are assuming these incidents were unintentional and not part of a betting coup. Do you think Vegas allows anomalies like this on their high stakes games?

Of course not, Vegas actually attempts to keep things on the square.

rokitman
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
That is Robyn Caroline Smith, the jockey that rode a lot of Alfred G. Vanderbilt's horses in the late seventies. She also rode Life's Hope for Laz Barrera and several horses for H. Allen Jerkens.

She was a babe back then and is a very attractive older lady now. She was married to Fred Astaire for about the last 15 years of his life and from what I understand, she is now a private jet pilot.Wow. Quite a life! :ThmbUp:

Tom
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Would 0.2% bank robberies be acceptable?
Same thing - it is stealing.

PaceAdvantage
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM

How about see this the other way, when a guy is able to complete 99.8% of his job assignment, would you say he is not able to do his job on a regular basis?It should NEVER happen.

I am quite frankly amazed that in this day and age, somebody actually has to press a BUTTON in order to stop wagering.

Why, oh why, isn't the 'STOP BETTING' signal attached directly to the starting gate? If we need newer, more technologically advanced gates in order to get this done, then spend some money!

maxwell
04-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I tracked the GP tote a few weekends and was floored by the shift in odds at post. The final odds had me shaking my head more than a few times. :confused:

jma
04-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I tracked the GP tote a few weekends and was floored by the shift in odds at post. The final odds had me shaking my head more than a few times. :confused:

That's not necessarily illegal---everyone bets in the last two minutes because they can.

Kelso
04-01-2008, 11:32 PM
So now, there are three safeguards to closing the mutuel machines when the gate opens.

So long as the odds keep changing after the start ... no matter the reason or in whose favor ... nobody will have any assurance at all that the safeguards are effective, or even in use.

Only by posting FINAL odds PRIOR to the start will fans know past posting has ended.

Kelso
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM

1) The article refered to 8 "reported" past posting incidents by only one official. All of the other 3992 races - or at least those in which odds changed after the break - remain open to well-founded suspicion.

2) My use of the characterization "widespread" was directed at the number of racing jurisdictions exposed by recent past-posting revelations. I would specifically describe the NYRA example as "epidemic."

3) If a guy's job involves gambling, it means someone cheated AT LEAST 0.2% of the time. That's 0.2% too much. (See #2, above.)

m001001
04-02-2008, 01:08 AM
It should NEVER happen.

I am quite frankly amazed that in this day and age, somebody actually has to press a BUTTON in order to stop wagering.

Why, oh why, isn't the 'STOP BETTING' signal attached directly to the starting gate? If we need newer, more technologically advanced gates in order to get this done, then spend some money!

From the stories I read here, the problem general was not that the starter forgotten to press the stop bet button, but a few betting terminals did not receive the signals properly. Thus allowed some individuals to exploit the lag.

I agree that it should never happen. I also would like to see less swings of odds in the final minutes.

Like trigger said, I assumed and willing to give the benefit of doubt that these incidents were not intentional. Thus I am not comparing these incidents to "criminal acts" like some other here suggested.

Does not look like my view is popular here. So I rest my case. :-)