PDA

View Full Version : Hyperbole is the norm.....Selling Papers now

JustRalph
03-31-2008, 10:55 PM
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1665632.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/usa-2008-the-great-depression-803095.html

Newspapers are getting more and more desperate. They are a forced to try harder and harder to attract attention. Today's dose of Hyperbole is reaching some. The article is in actuality very brief and shows a great disregard for the breadth and width of the real Depression suffered in the U.S. throughout the 30's. The fact that our so called Allies try so hard to paint us as the bad guy in the world is telling. It does nothing but reaffirm to me that United States is still head and shoulders above the rest in every category. They have to try too hard to discredit us.

An example of the ignorance displayed by this rag is an illustration of unemployment between the depression and now. Unemployment in the United States during the depression was over 25% and in many states was near 50%. There is more............but I won't bore you.

They use the recent food stamp numbers to justify this article. If this is all they have............they don't have much to write about. Let alone call it a "Depression" This is apparent by the length of the article. Hitting their followup button ("Interesting?" ) at the bottom of the article reveals more of the same on food stamps, but also refers you to numbers from Europe and Bangladesh? They remind me of the Arabs standing in the street cheering after the 9-11 Attacks.

Related: Newsweek (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/03/newsweek-buyouts-writers-david-ansen-gates.php)

robert99
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
To be fair to the article, it does not mention the 1929+ Depression.

If 28M are on food stamps, and reportedly only 1 in 4 eligible claim for food stamps, then that number of folks with hard times is far more than 50% of the UK population - i.e. a great big number. From the UK perspective, if a number of people representing half our population was on food stamps it would also be a big story and that is probably why they have printed it for their UK readership. How much worse would it have to get then before they could legitimately write an independent article in an independent paper?

rastajenk
04-01-2008, 05:11 PM
From Taranto's excellent WSJ daily trip around the web from today on this very issue:

But neither the Dispatch (Columbus, which had a similar story last week) nor the Independent notes that the Farm Bill of 2002 substantially expanded the food-stamp program. As the U.S. Department of Agriculture Web site notes, that legislation made legal immigrants eligible for food stamps, increased benefits for larger households, and expanded food-stamp eligibility for people leaving the TANF (welfare) rolls.

In other words, the government has made a conscious effort to expand the number of people on food stamps. Accordingly, the number of people on food stamps has expanded. And journalists are misconstruing government largesse as a sign of economic distress.

I'd post a link but mine comes in the form of an email.

Just another journalist agenda that doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny.

JustRalph
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
To be fair to the article, it does not mention the 1929+ Depression.

If 28M are on food stamps, and reportedly only 1 in 4 eligible claim for food stamps, then that number of folks with hard times is far more than 50% of the UK population - i.e. a great big number. From the UK perspective, if a number of people representing half our population was on food stamps it would also be a big story and that is probably why they have printed it for their UK readership. How much worse would it have to get then before they could legitimately write an independent article in an independent paper?

you great big number is less than ten percent of the population of the United States. The article is about the United States.

For the record: 60 million in the United Kingdom
300 Million in the United States not counting Territories.

Tom
04-01-2008, 10:58 PM
For the record: 60 million in the United Kingdom
300 Million in the United States not counting Territories.

Terroritories? I thought they were called illegals? :rolleyes:;)

Lefty
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Glenn Beck tracked dn the picture they used. Turns out it was from 2005 and the people were standing in line to get coats from a PRIVATE charity. And the guy in front has an ipod or MP3 player in his hand.
The govt is actually advertising to get more people on food stamps. Poverty in America. More myth than fact eh?