PDA

View Full Version : Simulcast Weekly

andicap
02-12-2003, 11:20 AM
Outside of using Simulcast Weekly to make your own figures and saving the charts to track biases, and look up trouble lines, are there any other uses to this publication for your handicapping?

cj
02-12-2003, 12:26 PM
It enables me to see all the Beyers for a given day at one time and let me see when the Beyer guy had trouble, i.e split variants, or just outright guessed on a variant for a particular race. With Beyer's being bet so heavily, its pretty useful information. Basically, having all the winning Beyer's for a day's race card at one time allows me to "extract" the variant from the figures.

CJ

Marc At DRF
02-12-2003, 01:07 PM
FYI--

This product is in the process of a relaunch; I expect this to occur sometime this Spring, and not later than this summer. Given that the changes are still being confirmed, we're not ready to announce them yet, but I do believe it will be a more helpful product soon enough.

If you have suggestions for improvements, please e-mail me privately.

cj
02-12-2003, 01:09 PM
One small request Marc:

The most annoying thing about Simo Weekly is the inclusion of charts thru Sunday, but the Winner's Book only going through Saturday. I'm sure it has to do with deadlines, but I'm sure most would wait a day to get the 2 to correlate!

CJ

cj
02-12-2003, 01:13 PM
I've been a regular buyer for 5 years, so one other request:

ELECTRONIC VERSION!

CJ

Marc At DRF
02-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Re: The Electronic version-- The subscription base is too low in print to do that. The product is already pretty pricey, if we made it available both in print and online, the print sales would inevitably diminish. Because it is such a boutique product for more serious players, the small sub base would become too small to justify current print runs... and so the consumer would take the hit. So we probably won't go online with this product until the print sub base is bigger, or a whole heck of a lot smaller. If that makes any sense.

The other complaint (Saturday/Sunday), I'll see what can be done about that.

cj
02-12-2003, 01:23 PM
As always Marc, thanks for prompt and honest answers. Looking forward to the newest improvements.

CJ

Marc At DRF
02-12-2003, 01:34 PM
"As always Marc, thanks for prompt and honest answers."

You're welcome. For the most part I do try, but one of the most unique things about DRF is it's role in the marketplace, both in print and online, as opposed to one or the other. Semi-related:

The enormous marketing database initiative here will hopefully be completed by midsummer. I think this will generate new features, new products and considerably greater efficiency, both upon the completion of the initiative and in the months to follow.

I've never really felt DRF's online handicapping offerings have scratched the surface of what we are capable of, even if we're finally functional on a level that we should have been years ago. I'm increasingly optimistic that in the latter half of this year, we'll begin to do some surface-scratching, and then some. For some on this, it may have a dramatic effect on their relationship with our online features and products, and it may in fact substantially change the way they handicap, hopefully for the better ;-)!

Tennessee
02-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Will the marketing plan reduce the cost of a single card? $2.50 is extravagant.

Marc At DRF
02-12-2003, 02:42 PM
There are plenty of online PP providers out there who offer $1 bare-bones PPs, 1 card at a time. If you want to buy what we've got, but you only want to buy it 1 card at a time, it costs $2.50, as you know. If you have any interest in committing to as little as 10 cards a month (or 30 a quarter) the pricing starts to come down considerably.

There's people who contribute here at paceadvantage who don't want Beyers, don't want closer looks, don't want the handicapping analysis, don't want all the things Formulator does, don't want Tomlinsons, etc. In which case, DRF perhaps makes little sense for them (unless they just want comma delimited files via Formulator). But if you want all these things, or any of them, and you only want to buy one card at a time, it's $2.50.

For what it's worth, since we introduced the extensive pricing options (such as the 10 carder), most of our customers have become much more comfortable with our pricing.

Strictly one man's opinion: It just never struck me that the cost of doing business-- in terms of buying the data at $2.50 (or more) a pop, or even buying Sheets at more than 10 times that-- was that big of a deal given if you're actually doing much in the way of betting at the windows. For what it's worth.

dav4463
02-12-2003, 02:53 PM
I could not handicap without the DRF. The subscription plans are fairly priced in my opinion for what you get. I tried handicapping before with other pp's, but just couldn't get a "feel" for the race until I saw it in the DRF format. I guess the first time I used DRF, I got hooked and now I will pay whatever it takes!

Tennessee
02-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Please don't misunderstand, I'm very fond of the product. I always buy the print version of DRF, which has 5-6 cards and costs $5.00. If I want to play a track not in the print version, say Tampa Bay, it's another 2.50. That seems high, IMHO.

blind squirrel
02-12-2003, 03:42 PM
one of the best use's of SIMULCAST WEEKLY?
the obscure trainer angle in MAIDEN races.

criteria:first time starter winner,owner trainer{preferred,not mandatory},
"slow works",top 10 jockey.these horses usually
pay $20 dollars and up.

here's three trainers to watch:

PHIL SIMMS{KY}no not "that PHIL SIMMS"
although he's from KY.

SACCARADO{SUF}WHEN HE SHIPS TO NY,LOOK OUT!

DELMAR CALDWELL{FG}THE ALL TIME "COUSIN BOUDREAUX"
ANGLE. THIS ANGLE TAKES PATIENCE,BUT WELL WORTH THE
WAIT....