PDA

View Full Version : Bill James - Sabermetrics

bigmack
03-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I reckon most have known of this fellow but there was a charming story on 3600 Seconds about an ex-security guard/inventive statistician who has some refreshing takes on stats.

As old as the game is, it's odd it took this long for an alternative view of the game. He must feel a bit like Sartin.

Good stuff.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2006/0605/james0508.jpg

Among the statisical innovations attributable to James are:
* Runs Created. A statistic intended to quantify a player's contribution to runs scored, as well as a team's expected number of runs scored. Runs created is calculated from other offensive statistics. James' first version of it: Runs Created = ((Total Bases * (Hits + Walks))/(Plate Appearances). Applied to an entire team or league, the statistic correlates closely to that team's or league's actual runs scored. Since James first created the statistic, sabermetricians have refined it to make it more accurate, and it is now used in many different variations.

* Range Factor. A statistic that quantifies the defensive contribution of a player, calculated in its simplest form as RF = (Assists + Put Outs)/(Games Played). The statistic is premised on the notion that the total number of outs that a player participates in is more relevant in evaluating his defensive play than the percentage of cleanly handled chances as calculated by the conventional statistic Fielding Percentage.

* Defensive Efficiency Record. A statistic that shows the percentage of balls in play a defense turns into an out. It is used to help determine a team's defensive ability.

* Win Shares. A unifying statistic intended to allow the comparison of players at different positions, as well as players of different eras. Win Shares incorporates a variety of pitching, hitting and fielding statistics. One drawback of Win Shares is the difficulty of computing it.

* Pythagorean Winning Percentage. A statistic explaining the relationship of wins and losses to runs scored and runs allowed. In its simplest form: Winning Percentage equals Runs squared divided by the square of Runs plus the square of Runs Allowed. The statistic correlates closely to a team's actual winning percentage.

* Major League Equivalency. A metric that uses minor league statistics to predict how a player is likely to perform at the major league level.

* The Brock2 System. A system for projecting a player's performance over the remainder of his career based on past performance and the aging process.

* Similarity scores. Scoring a player's statistical similarity to other players, providing a frame of reference for players of the distant past. Examples: Lou Gehrig comparable to Don Mattingly; Joe Jackson to Tony Oliva.

* Secondary Average. A statistic that attempts to measure a player's contribution to an offense in ways not reflected in batting average. The formula is (Extra bases on hits+Walks+Stolen Bases)/At bats. Secondary averages tend to be similar to batting averages, but can vary widely, from less than .100 to more than .500 in extreme cases. Extra bases on hits is calculated with the formula (Doubles)+(Triplesx2)+(Homerunsx3).

* Power/Speed Number. A statistic that attempts to consolidate the various "clubs" of players with impressive numbers of both home runs and stolen bases (e.g., the "30/30" club (Bobby Bonds was well known for being a member), the "40/40" club (Jose Canseco was the first to perform this feat), and even the "25/65" club (Joe Morgan in the '70s)). The formula: (2x(Home Runs)x(Stolen Bases))/(Home Runs + Stolen Bases).

* Approximate Value. A system of cutoffs designed to estimate the value a player contributed to his team to study broad questions such as "how do players age over time".

dylbert
03-30-2008, 11:29 PM
For an excellent account of applying many of his sabermetric discoveries, read book, Moneyball. It details how Billy Beane has used these principals in retooling Oakland A's and saved payroll in the process.

Bill James is employed by Boston Red Sox now. Another Billy Beane disciple is with Toronto Blue Jays. I am sure other major league organizations are using these ideas quietly.

BillW
03-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Disc-SCI has an hour show on sabermetrics at 10:00 EDST tonite (15 Mins.)

cj
04-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Could someone please send a copy to Peter Angelos?

chickenhead
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
it was hard for me to watch the segment where they've a bunch of Joes watching every play of every game and logging where the ball was hit on a grid, how much ground the fielder covered, etc....without thinking about a group doing the same for trips in horse racing.

highnote
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
it was hard for me to watch the segment where they've a bunch of Joes watching every play of every game and logging where the ball was hit on a grid, how much ground the fielder covered, etc....without thinking about a group doing the same for trips in horse racing.

That technology exists for racing -- Trakus.

bigmack
04-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Could someone please send a copy to Peter Angelos?
They sho done got a real pertty park though. As nice as PetCo is, Camden rocks.

Beer @ PetCo $9. Camden: $4?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/camden.jpg http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/796px-Petco_Park_Interior.jpg

BeatTheChalk
04-08-2008, 06:30 PM
For an excellent account of applying many of his sabermetric discoveries, read book, Moneyball. It details how Billy Beane has used these principals in retooling Oakland A's and saved payroll in the process.

Bill James is employed by Boston Red Sox now. Another Billy Beane disciple is with Toronto Blue Jays. I am sure other major league organizations are using these ideas quietly.

My friend Lewie Wolff - I am sure he appreciated the work that Billy Beane
did .. causing the payroll to shrink. When we were in grade school and all
the way through college .. Lew would always talk about houses and real
estate and and ....The rest is history :ThmbUp: