PDA

View Full Version : 30Mar08SA *** Selections ***

SRK
03-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Race 1

Not the worst group of older Maiden claimers try 1 1/8 mile on the Turf in today’s opener. Bobby Frankel puts Good Request (5) back on what is probably his preferred surface. Solid works in prep for this, and the right, up close style, go into the plus column. Billion Buck Baby (1) exits the same race as Good Request, draws the golden rail, has wonderful genes, and was a decent 8th (is that possible?) in his first try at the distance.

Hold Your Ground (9) biggest knock is his outside post, which have done very poorly at this distance. Other than that, you get good connections, a close to the pace running style, a near miss at the distance, and some late oomph. A player, but vulnerable on the win end. Deserving a mention on your tickets are Real Big Cozeene (4), who will be passing several late, and surprise package My King (2), who might hang around longer than most think.

Race 2

Old foes do battle once again in the second half of the early double. In addition to reading your PP’s, or your computer printout, in preparation for this race, I suggest you read the results charts and view the race replays of their past battles. I conclude that the best efforts were turned in on the March 10th contest, in terms of class, pace and final time. That leads me to recommend The Supply Program (6) and Larry By The Lake (4) in this one.

After that, I am predicting that either Outside Looking In (5) or Dixie Music Roll (7) will out finish their prior enemies, maybe both. Monk (1) looks to be a vulnerable favorite to win his third in a row, and Mo’s Pocolino (2) (SCRATCH) will be hard pressed to repeat his last effort. Am betting against both.

Race 3

Silk Thunder (3) is the deserving morning line favorite. She ran very well in defeat in her debut, battling a quick pace and finishing in a time that compares well with other races run that same day. She has worked well since, and if she improves in her second start, will be tough to deny. Loses Gomez, however, and that tempers my enthusiasm. Solid, but not a lock. For example, much the same can be said for second timer Enchanting Moment (4). Not sure what to make of the times in her race, as the AW was “off” that soggy day. She also has been training well for her second try, and her trainer does very well under these circumstances.

Several more can hit the board here. Quick Commander (7) is a first time starter who has been training well over at Hollywood. Bella Roja (6) ships in from Churchill for her second try. Finished second in her debut, in decent time, after racing very wide throughout. Four Paws (1) gets the poor rail, but switches back to the AW after a decent try down the hill. Her race two back puts her right there.

Race 4

There are several front runners entered in this one, and that should set things up for the closers. The best closer of them all, is the obvious 4/5 choice Black Mamba (4). She scratched out of the G2 Santa Ana last Sunday, and she’ll find the going much, much easier here.

After that, things get a little tougher to pick. I’ll give long shot Steelin’ (2) a long look in the exotics. She appears to be going good right now, likes Santa Anita, and I like horses stretching out to a flat mile after doing well going down the hill. Connects do not excite, however. Fleet Caroline (6) has been first or second in 3 of 4 tries at this distance. In her last, she won a nice stake, by three widening lengths, at Turf Paradise. Looks sharp and capable of hitting the board versus these.

SRK
03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Race 5

Today is Jockey Richard Migliore’s day to be honored at Santa Anita, and you know he will be giving it something extra at every opportunity (read his bio on the Santa Anita web site, and if you don’t already have one, you’ll gain an extra appreciation for this tough cookie). In this race, he rides Flip The Penny (7) who should be sitting just off an expected pace duel up front. Penny has good tactical speed, and is second off a four month layoff. Cry Me No River (3) appears to be the quickest, and with the other speed being suspect, he might just get things his own way up front.

Warren’s Scooter (5) tries winners for the first time. Is realistically placed, usually gives a good account of himself, and has every right to hit the board here. Quinton’s Fleet (2) drops in price, and having won for $20k two races back, that raises some questions. If he is still in one piece, he could certainly hit the board versus these.

SRK
03-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Race 6

A full field of maiden claimers line up here, and we’ll lean toward those dropping in class or having the fewest knocks against them. Pegasus Lady (12) drops into this maiden claimer after flopping going down the hill. Her debut showed she can handle these. Stingin’ Inthe Rain (10) finished with interest in her come backer. If you consider that she didn’t go for the Del Mar surface, or routing round and round the Fairplex oval, plus the rider switch to Tyler Baze for Mike Mitchell, you have another contender on the win end.

City Heat (7) drops again for Bob Baffert, and figures for an in the money shot. Blazeitgirl (3) has only hit the board once in 11 tries, but looks like she has a shot to do it again against these.

SRK
03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Race 7

I give more than half of this full field a chance to win this, even more to hit the board. You also have to decide if the speed will hold, or if the late runners will be passing late. I think you’ll see enough early pace to favor the come from behinders. Seeking Answers (3) has been successful here at Santa Anita, and at the mile trip. He also appears to have the most potent late kick, and we’ll give a slight nod to him. Raise The Heat (9) attracted Gomez, but I’m not sure who’ll ride him, as I believe Gomez didn’t make it back from Dubai in time. Heat is a 3 time winner at the distance. Frankelstein (6) and Soupy (2) complicate things further. Very wide open. Proceed with caution.

SRK
03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Race 8

With all due respect, this is a pretty weak cast for a G3 event. Lovely Isle (3) drops from a G1 and appears to do better sprinting. If she doesn’t get burned up in a pace duel, she should prevail. P.S.U. Grad (5) has been working very nicely while being freshened. She is 1/1 at this distance and should be making her presence felt late. Sweet August Moon (1) finished full of run taking down an AlwN1X in her last. She hit the board in the G3 LaHabra before that, going down the hill. A couple of good works since last raced, but the rail draw will hurt.

SRK
03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Race 9

What a race! 11 starters, of which only one has run on the turf, and that one has a bad case of seconditis. In fact the only time morning line favorite Justice Is Brief (12) has won, was over the main track. While not tossing him out, I’m going to bet that someone jumps up and beats this vulnerable fave.

Mama Knows Best (3) has the genes to appreciate the switch to the turf, and every right to improve second time out. Cutie Chantal Sutherland gets the nod. She can ride, too. Ladies Day? Mama Luc (5) is another second timer with a shot. Trainer Mike Puype does well with these.

SRK
03-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Race 10

While tough to pick a winner, there are several logical contenders here, and “ya never know,” some sharpie might just still be alive in the Pick 6, or build the right ticket in the High 5. I doubt it. Military Power (13) drops into maiden claiming, and wouldn’t even have to improve much off of that one, to take the nightcap. Stomp Dance (4) also takes “THE DROP.” Been off since Del Mar, and its hard to get a handle on what they’ve been doing with him down at San Luis Rey.

Texas Devil (7) goes first out for Peter Eurton. He’s trained ok, and lets give him an in the money shot. Friendly Half (11) plots for a share, as does Dancewiththedevil (8).