PDA

View Full Version : Dutrow

kroebuck67
03-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Did he have a nice day or what?.... wow

After divying up all the loot (stable employees, IRS, etc.), I wonder how much $ he's going to put in his pocket from today?

JustRalph
03-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Damn shame too........

JimG
03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
After the FL Derby he acted like he did not even want to talk to J. Edwards. Said he wanted to"get to the horse". Maybe he has not been in the spotlight much, but a casual fan had to be wondering why he was semi-rude. The press is important to the future of racing and it is time all the horse people understood this.

cj
03-29-2008, 07:34 PM
After the FL Derby he acted like he did not even want to talk to J. Edwards. Said he wanted to"get to the horse". Maybe he has not been in the spotlight much, but a casual fan had to be wondering why he was semi-rude. The press is important to the future of racing and it is time all the horse people understood this.

I think it is mostly because he is a jerk.

toetoe
03-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Beg to disagree, Your Honor. Entirely too much interviewing going on. Mindless banter and idiotic questions, designed to sell soap, somehow, to the half dozen in the audience. Opting out should not be construed as rude. Let those who would, opt IN.

jma
03-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Beg to disagree, Your Honor. Entirely too much interviewing going on. Mindless banter and idiotic questions, designed to sell soap, somehow, to the half dozen in the audience. Opting out should not be construed as rude. Let those who would, opt IN.

Nah, Dutrow's a jerk. You should do an interview when you've got one of the few hot horses left in a dying game.

Selling soap? That argument got old in 1954.

ryesteve
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
He may be a jerk (I don't know) but at that moment, he had business to attend to. If you're going to stick a microphone in someone's face under those circumstances, you've got no right to expect that you're more important than the guy's horse.

JimG
03-29-2008, 09:03 PM
He may be a jerk (I don't know) but at that moment, he had business to attend to. If you're going to stick a microphone in someone's face under those circumstances, you've got no right to expect that you're more important than the guy's horse.

I've never seen Lukas, Baffert, Nafzger, Asmussen, or Zito act that way under similar circumstances. Only other one I have seen act that way is Tagg. It's not a matter of being more important, but it is interesting to get the reaction from the connections following a big race. I guess she should have tried to ask the horse. Big Brown did not look like he was even breathing heavily to me following the race.

cj
03-29-2008, 09:05 PM
He was probably afraid the horse would start detoxing before being unsaddled.

ryesteve
03-29-2008, 10:31 PM
it is interesting to get the reaction from the connections following a big race.Very true, and she might have gotten better answers if she asked during the trophy presentation, rather than as the horse was returning to the winner's circle.

shanta
03-29-2008, 10:56 PM

:lol: :lol:

Kelso
03-29-2008, 11:10 PM

Not defending today's episode, but perhaps he had no intention of wasting his time with such inane questions as "how big was this win today?" Edwards isn't alone ... they all do it, for all types of stories ("how did you feel when you saw your dog get hit by that bus?").

The truly amazing thing, to me, is that they get paid ... often big time ... for asking such meaningless questions; for soliciting such correspondingly worthless answers. Complete waste of air time.

Rackon
03-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Normally JW wouldn't shove a microphone in front of a trainer's face who was obviously in a hurry to get to the winners circle - but she was trying to get in an interview of some kind, any kind, with Dutriw before the end of the broadcast, which was just a couple minutes away. Blame ESPN2 for giving scant coverage to racing.

Had she tried to do the stand-up at the trophy presentation it was guaranteed of happening off air.

Still, Dutrow needs to work on his charm factor;)

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2008, 02:42 AM
He may be a jerk (I don't know) but at that moment, he had business to attend to. If you're going to stick a microphone in someone's face under those circumstances, you've got no right to expect that you're more important than the guy's horse.I agree, and I ain't no Dutrow fan....

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2008, 02:46 AM
He was probably afraid the horse would start detoxing before being unsaddled.Let it be noted for the record that Dutrow won two biggies in Dubai, which is, and I quote, "a ZERO TOLERANCE jurisdiction."

So did Asmussen.

Spendabuck85
03-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Let it be noted for the record that Dutrow won two biggies in Dubai, which is, and I quote, "a ZERO TOLERANCE jurisdiction."

So did Asmussen.

Lets hold judgement until post race testing is completed. Remember Brass Hat trained by Buff Bradley?
From drf.com archives:
The disqualification will cost Brass Hat's owner, Fred Bradley, the $1.2 million second-place share of the World Cup's $6 million purse. Stewards at Nad al Sheba Racecourse, where the World Cup was run, disqualified Brass Hat after he tested positive for a banned corticosteroid following the race.

ManeMediaMogul
03-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Let it be noted for the record that Dutrow won two biggies in Dubai, which is, and I quote, "a ZERO TOLERANCE jurisdiction."

So did Asmussen.

The tests don't come back before the race is "official."

Nacumi
03-30-2008, 09:02 AM

So did Asmussen.

Sure. Zero tolerance for things they have tests for and can find. ;)
As impressive as these wins were, I'm not a Dutrow fan and will never be.

DeanT
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I think it is mostly because he is a jerk.

Originally Posted by cj

OK, my Sunday morning laugh is now out of the way :D

magwell
03-30-2008, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=Kelso]Not defending today's episode, but perhaps he had no intention of wasting his time with such inane questions as "how big was this win today?" Edwards isn't alone ... they all do it, for all types of stories ("how did you feel when you saw your dog get hit by that bus?").

Dutrow is a true " horseman" Im one of his biggest fans, cant understand people knocking him on a great day like he just had.....:bang:

Niko
03-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Sure. Zero tolerance for things they have tests for and can find. ;)
As impressive as these wins were, I'm not a Dutrow fan and will never be.

I was going to mention that, when baseball said they were testing sterioids I said so what, still not testing for HGH. I'm sure there's a few of those in horse racing just like every other sport but I don't know for sure.

I agree that it was a terrible time to stick a microphone in front of him. Maybe he could have said we can talk later. I'd want to get to my horse too but I may have been nicer about it. Who knows under the circumanstances. Horse racing does need someone to help it's public image though--and Dutrows not the answer.

Asmussen and Pletcher do a really good job when they're interviewed.