PDA

View Full Version : 29Mar08SA *** Selections ***

SRK
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Race 1

A typical group of maidens line up for the opener. Seven furlongs for Maiden claimers. The morning line favorite, Boowoogeemalia (3) drops again for O’Neill and I’m not convinced that is going to be enough to do the trick. She has lost ground in the stretch in each of her four starts, and the jock switch doesn’t inspire much confidence either. Vulnerable.

Living our Dream (7) deserves a look here. She showed little in her debut, but she will find the pace much softer here, along with the company as she double drops in claiming price. Eddie Truman’s charges usually improve in their second start. Kathleen M (5) flashed speed before fading in her last. In fact she was racing ahead of the favorite in that race after 6 furlongs. She shortens up today, and deserves another chance.

Paloma’s Flight (1) should get a mention in your exotics. She ran competitively in her last, and a repeat should land her on the board. The rail and the move from state-bred to open company push her down on my list of contenders.

SRK
03-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Race 2

Mananan McLir (8) ran a better than looked third, in his last, going wide all the way, against slightly better company. Some might say that Summer Survivor (5) might bounce off his last. I disagree. The pace was very slow, and if anything, that race could serve as a nice prep for this.

Many of these could hit the board. Speaking of bounce, the winner of Summer Survivor's last race, Judge Gallivan (4) has bounce screaming off the pages of the PP’s. Betting against. Can’t Stop Slew (10) gets a tough draw, but will be coming late. Finished ahead of top choice in their last. The Five J’s (1) gets a great post, and just missed a head in his last. He seldom wins, but is a must use in your exotics. Norway House (3) also exits that same race, as my top choice, and fits with these.

SRK
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Race 3

Three second time starters look to decide this Maiden Claiming event. Devoted Magic (8) raced wide throughout in his debut, then bumped with another horse in the stretch. He attended to a decent pace, and draws a nice outside post for this. Expect improvement. Otisisgold (4) looks like a longshot with a shot. He finished nicely after breaking near the back in an 11 horse field and should do better in his second try. Coolerator (6) exits the same race as Otisisgold, and should also move forward with racing experience.
Happy Prayer (2) closed nicely to finish second in his last, but that race was fairly slow, and I expect him to come up short once again. Vulnerable on top, but with an in the money shot. Big Bien (3) debuts for John Sadler, and this one deserves a mention on your exotics.

SRK
03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Race 4

A toughie to close out the early pick 4. None really jump off the page. Kingdom Come (9) ran a good race in defeat in his last. He went wide into the stretch, and with the rails at 30 feet that day, that means he went out. He owns a good closing kick, and I’ll give him the nod in this head scratcher. Their He Goes (3) will appreciate the drop in class, and will also be coming late. If its tough to pick the winner, you could argue its even tougher to pick the other in the money finishers. Several could complete the exotics, including Blue Torpedo (8) , Full In (5) and Hit and Hope (7)

SRK
03-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Only five are scheduled to go in todays San Miguel Handicap. It looks like the pace will be contested up front, and Sea of Pleasure (2) looks to be the speed of the speed. At odds on, I can’t bet him to win, but I can’t bet against him either. Looks tough. To fill out the exactas, I’ll choose two come from behinders. Salute the Sarge (3) re-appears after getting bogged down in the Breeders Cup Juvenile. He has faced much better than he’ll see today, and has the right come from behind style. Leonides (1) gets the rail, but also got a productive tune-up at Turf Paradise last month, where he dominated. He sports a couple of good works since returning to Santa Anita, and the tactical speed to stay close before unleashing his closing kick.

SRK
03-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Race 6

The favorite looks very solid in here. Sanquine (10) just missed in his debut. He set a very decent pace, and that race was run just a tick slower than N2X types a couple races earlier on the card.

After that, it gets a little tricky. Ginobli (1) will have to overcome the rail in his second start and first try down the hill. He showed speed then faded in his first try, and sports a bullet work since. Magna Cum Laude (9) has been working well for his stateside debut, and he usually gets close. Rumba Along (7) is a first timer, with solid works, who could also hit the board.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 06:05 PM
waz up srk?

late pk4

8th- 3,4,7,9,11,13
9th- 1,6,7
10th-6,9
11th- 2,4

7th race- need these to blow up the exotics

#1 call onthesly
#8 si se puede
#10 buddyandrowdy

SRK
03-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Not too much, juanepstein....still recovering after my colonoscopy yesterday.
(is that more information than you wanted?)
Let's leave it at that....dirty business, but everybody should do it.

You're ahead of me - I'm still doping out the late pick 4.

Good luck.

Got sidetracked watching the Fla Derby.

Big Brown looks solid.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Not too much, juanepstein....still recovering after my colonoscopy yesterday.
(is that more information than you wanted?)
Let's leave it at that....dirty business, but everybody should do it.

You're ahead of me - I'm still doping out the late pick 4.

Good luck.

Got sidetracked watching the Fla Derby.

Big Brown looks solid.

i guess that would be recovering emotionaly.:(

colonoscopy - big brown:lol:

did you do that on purpose.

Tee
03-29-2008, 06:37 PM
#3 Whya Da Whya

Speed and fade - to dead last!!! :)

SRK
03-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Race 7

A large and contentious field with no standouts makes this a good race to either spread or, if you admit you don’t have a clue, pass. One thing I don’t see is a lot of speed signed up. That might make it possible for one of the probable pacesetters to hold on to the wire. Diysem (5) shortens up and drops in class, and has been working well. Merits respect. Corvinus (11) has both good tactical speed and a nice closing punch. Someone has to be the favorite, and Cactus Lighting (13) is awarded that dubious honor. Just missed versus slightly better in his last, but will need everything to go his way to get the job done here. Iffy. Finally Reach for Gold (2) runs for obscure connections, but he can certainly hit the board here.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 06:39 PM
7th- wps- #8 si se puede

SRK
03-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Juan - I don't know if we're on topic for the selections forum !!!

The best part for me was the tranquilizer. I forget the name now, but it certainly did the trick. I asked for seconds, and they gave me one. On the house.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Juan - I don't know if we're on topic for the selections forum !!!

The best part for me was the tranquilizer. I forget the name now, but it certainly did the trick. I asked for seconds, and they gave me one. On the house.

did that in my early 20's. didnt get a tranquilizer but i was bought dinner first.

Tee
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
#5 Niagara Causeway & #8 Mixed Berries

SRK
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Juan,

I forgot to tell you the downside - no alcohol for 7 days.
Let's see how long that lasts.
You remember your early twenties?
I don't (want to).

SRK
03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Race 8

I hate the rail going down the hill, but Battle Won (2) looks like the class of this field. He’s also third off the layoff, and if this old timer even moves one step forward he’ll be tough to deny. Gweebarra (9) should come motoring down the lane. Hamoody (11) is an improving 4 year for the quiet Jenine Sahadi. I do like Tyler at this trip, though. Finally, KrugerPark (13) fits well with these.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 07:37 PM
late pk 3

9th- 1,4,6,7
10th-5,6,9,11
11th- 2,4,5

SRK
03-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Race 9

I’m picking against the favorite, Zappa (7), here. Not convinced that 1 ½ mile is his game. Not a throwout, either. Of course none of these has gone 1 ½ mile on the AW or dirt, so you could argue its not anybody’s game. Church Service (4) has had success at this trip, albeit on the turf. Rocket Legs (3) is training nicely for this, and Big Booster (6), if he takes to the distance, will find the company a little easier in this.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 07:52 PM
good golly!!!!!

i like the #6 int he 10th and the #2,#4 in the 11th but i cant seem to get a pk3 or pk4 to get going.

looks like ill have to rely on the tris now.

and a big double.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 08:11 PM
sa 10th- $1 tri

$2 double- 4,5,6,9/2,4,5

SRK
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Race 10

Smooth and Savvy (9) is back at his level and goes AW to turf. Upset special. Mind the Minister (7) was so much the best he got DQ’d in his last, slightly overbet here, but would be no surprise. Only Him (5) has been patiently handled by Mandella, has been training well, and faced some tough company back in France. Wild Diplomat (4) figures for a slice.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 08:40 PM
race 11- $1 tri

SRK
03-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Race 11

Not the worst bunch of maidens I’ve seen close out a card. However, that doesn’t make this race any easier to pick. Man, I hate picking a 11 time loser to break his maiden. Toppler (11) just might do it this time. He looks to be in decent shape, and should be prominent throughout. Mixed Berries (8) for some reason is the favorite. He looks like he’s getting a little better, but I just think he’s too slow to win this. That second place finish was both better (overcame trouble) and worse (slow time) than it looks. Silver Dust (13) is back in a week, but he doesn’t appear to be razor sharp. Mixed signals. Hebesmallbutmighty (5) goes from turf to AW, and drops from straight maiden to maiden claiming. Beware.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 08:50 PM
race 11- $1 tri

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE DID THAT #6 COME FROM!!!!!!!:bang:

SRK
03-29-2008, 08:52 PM
That's gotta hurt.

Nice call on the 4.

juanepstein
03-29-2008, 09:00 PM
That's gotta hurt.

Nice call on the 4.

ouchy! did have a 5/4 $1 ex so that helps,

thanks, pissed that i played the #13. that #6 didnt look to shabby in the parade either. was on the line about the #13 but you get scared to leave him out of the tri completely so you have to play him because you have a large number of longshots already. so that keeps you from placing other prices.

$1000+ $1 tri i should of went for broke on a large ticket since i was pretty confident about the #4.

now i have to get busy on australia and japan tonight.