PDA

View Full Version : At The Races-- Update

azmike
02-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Last year Dick Schmidt gave a pretty thorough review on this software. I visited the site and see the price is about $100 now (versus a then price of about $25) and has been updated several times since the review.

I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with this product and whether you recommend it.

I know there is a demo for download (and I'll probably do that) but I was trying to shorten my (and probably others) learning curve with you actual experience.

Thanks.

midnight
02-13-2003, 11:14 PM
You can download ATR at the HTR Site (http://www.homebased2.com/km) .

ATR has a help file built into the program, but most of what is has is easy to figure out.

It offers tons of information, but be warned: you'll almost certainly need Windows 2000/XP to run it, because it uses a lot of system resources in 98 and 98SE.

The program works for 30 days, fully functional. Then you have to buy it, and it's $100 per year.

David McKenzie
02-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by azmike
I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with this product and whether you recommend it.

I've been using it for a couple of months now and am VERY happy with it, especially the spot play alarms you can program yourself.

azmike
02-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I have been demo-ing it for the past 3 days and so far I like it a lot. I emailed the developers a couple of questions and I haven't heard back yet. So we'll se about customer service soon.

I admit I am a "gadget" guy but seeing all the betting options on the screen was very helpful. I actually used the screens for my bets and I am pleased with the results. As of now I will probably purchase it. I doubt I will do the annual $100--I'll probably just buy it for $100 and decide if I want the later upgrades.

BTW, are the spot plays something you can only do with HSH? I see that is the only handicapping program that is integrated with this program.

Thanks again.

David McKenzie
02-14-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by azmike
... I doubt I will do the annual $100--I'll probably just buy it for $100 and decide if I want the later upgrades.

BTW, are the spot plays something you can only do with HSH? I see that is the only handicapping program that is integrated with this program.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

I'm not sure how the updates work, but tracks change their takeouts; it would be a shame to be locked into a percentage which is no longer valid. You might want to ask them about that.

The spot play alarms function by a text file you create easily. For example, if you want to bet Zippy Chippy in the fifth race at SUF when he's 3-1 or more at five minutes to post time, the alarm will notify you when it's time to consider making that bet (if it meets those qualifications). If the Zipster is going off at 5/2 you won't receive an alarm unless you change your settings. That part has nothing to do with HSH.

The HSH part is a seamless integration which works very well with that program, but you don't need HSH to utilize any of the ATR functions. They are seperate animals.

They may have plans to integrate the program with other handicapping software too, but you'd have to check with them about that.

Incidentally, I've had great success and tremendous customer support contacting them at this email address: garypitz@hotmail.com.

azmike
02-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by David McKenzie
You're welcome.

Incidentally, I've had great success and tremendous customer support contacting them at this email address: garypitz@hotmail.com.

You're right. I emailed Gary instead and got instant and very satisfactory responses. He seems very helpful and willing to accept suggestions.

I really like the program and have sent my check to Gary. I fully expect from talking with Gary that there will be some beneficial upgrades in the future.

One thing I would love is the ability to automate the bets from the "At the Races" screen to my youbet account. That would be a great savings of time. I read where some have used a product called "Cherry Picker" to do something similar but I have no direct knowledge. I would prefer that it all be integrated, of course.

Thanks again for your input.

Dave Schwartz
02-17-2003, 07:10 PM
I can tell you there have already been at least two siginifcant upgrades since I have been using ATR Pro.

Dave Schwartz

azmike
02-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Curious how the ATR Pro integrates with your program. I downloaded the ATR Pro and it has a button to your program.

Right now I click between my youbet, ATR.

Does this actually "integrate" with you screens in some way?

Thanks.

Dave Schwartz
02-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Mike,

Yes.

First, the odds, scratches and post times are updated from ATR. (HSH keeps all your races ordered by next post.)

In addition, many of the algorithms are dependant upon the odds (if you choose for them to be).

For example, the horses' probabilities are modified by some percentage of the difference between your opinion (probability) and the publics'. In other words, if you make two horses at 25% each and one goes off at 6/5 and the other at 20/1 they will wind up with different FINAL probabilities. (The difference is dependant upon how much value is assigned to the public's opinion versus yours/HSH's.)

Dave

azmike
02-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks Dave.

I assume you still must manually enter your bets outside either program?

Dave Schwartz
02-19-2003, 04:55 PM
HSH does not currently support entering your bets... not a bad idea, though.

The idea is that the program computes the bets for you based upon whatever system you have designed.

Dave

azmike
02-19-2003, 05:06 PM
I was wondering because I love how ATR helps me structure a bet but if I wait too long watching the tote action I can never manually input all the bets as shown on ATR, so I end up betting a little sooner than I would like and hoping my odds don't change too much for thet worse.

Would be great if you computer guys had some great macro (or whatever you would call it) built in behind a button that said something like "ACCEPT AND PLACE ALL BETS NOW". Now that would a time-saver:)

Dave Schwartz
02-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Mike,

Actually, I'd simply like the ability to connect to (say) YouBet or Philly Park from within software.

Dave