PDA

View Full Version : FREE DRF PPs for The 2008 Dubai World Cup

Burls
03-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Here's the link.
Only time will tell, I guess, but I have a feeling that if Curlin wins big tomorrow, which I think he will, it will pique a lot of interest in horseracing around the world.

http://www.drf.com/internat/pps_international.html

Burls
03-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I just noticed that Niko already posted this link in another thread.

Oh well, two links won't hurt.

ny0707ny
03-29-2008, 01:03 AM
None of the big networks are covering the races though. It is a shame. But anyway Curlin will probably be retired if he does win.

All the horses retire too young today. Before they even hit 4, they are off to the farm. Curlin is the only one from last year still going.

Breeding value is too high. I am sure he will not race at 5 years old.

Burls
03-29-2008, 02:11 AM

Poised for worldwide stardom

By MARCUS HERSH

Should he win the World Cup, return home, and keep winning, Curlin can become the richest racehorse in history. His bankroll already stands at $5.2 million, and first place in the World Cup is worth $3.6 million. Cigar is the leading money winner among North American-based horses with a bankroll of about $10 million.
It's because Curlin could accomplish such things that Jess Jackson, his majority owner, kept Curlin in training. He bought out two partners to control 80 percent of this magnificent animal and bucked recent tradition, turning down riches waiting at stud to bring a top 3-year-old back for more racing.

"I've seen all the great ones in my life," Jackson, 78, said Wednesday night. "I saw Seabiscuit when I was 8 years old. This horse reminds me of a champion. That's what we saw in the beginning."

On paper, the only thing that can beat Curlin on Saturday is Curlin himself. Rated the top dirt horse in the world, Curlin will meet no animal near his established quality, though 12 were entered against him.
The World Cup, contested at 2,000 meters (about 1 1/4 miles), is the last of seven races Saturday night. The card's opener is for Arabians, followed by three dirt races, and two awesome grass stakes - the $5 million Duty Free and the $5 million Sheema Classic. Post time for the first Thoroughbred race is 9:40 a.m. Eastern in the U.S. The World Cup is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Eastern and will be broadcast on tape delay at 2:30 on ABC. The races can be seen live on HorseRacing TV and TVG and on many online wagering platforms and will be streamed in real time on espn360.com. U.S. bettors can play the World Cup online or at simulcasting facilities.

samyn on the green
03-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Let us hope that Curlin wins tomorrow in smashing style for the sake of American racing. People love the big horse. There where 125K people at the Belmont 2004 for Smarty Jones the TV hero. If the right horse comes along the game can hook many new fans. Curlin might be the horse.

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2008, 04:05 AM
None of the big networks are covering the races though. It is a shame. But anyway Curlin will probably be retired if he does win.

All the horses retire too young today. Before they even hit 4, they are off to the farm. Curlin is the only one from last year still going.

Breeding value is too high. I am sure he will not race at 5 years old.Complete coverage of all the Dubai action can be found on TVG and I think HRTV.

And ABC will be providing tape-delayed coverage starting at 2:30, or so I've read....TV Guide online listings do not have any listing for Dubai on ABC....

Bruddah
03-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Let us hope that Curlin wins tomorrow in smashing style for the sake of American racing. People love the big horse. There where 125K people at the Belmont 2004 for Smarty Jones the TV hero. If the right horse comes along the game can hook many new fans. Curlin might be the horse.

I have been a Curlin supporter, since he won the Ark Derby at Oaklawn. I have supported him at the windows, in every race he has run. I applauded Jess Jackson for buying the controlling interest, and deciding to run him as a 4 year old. Unfortunately, should Curlin win today, from post 12, I am afraid the Saudi's will offer more money than humanly possible to refuse. He will go to stud in Saudi Arabia. That will p*ss me off to no end. Not that if, I were in the same position, I could refuse all that money. But because, we have all paid for it, every time we fill up our cars. :bang: :mad:

Go Curlin Go! But, come home safe. There will be plenty of beautiful ladies waiting for your service.

DrunkenHorseplayer
03-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Jackson won't retire him until he's passed Cigar as the all-time leading money earner; as soon as that happens he's gone.

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Jackson won't retire him until he's passed Cigar as the all-time leading money earner; as soon as that happens he's gone.What about the other owners of Curlin who are tied up in legal proceedings? Doesn't anyone think this has a little something to do with Curlin still running this year?

My cynical side says the legal troubles of some of Curlin's connections has more to do with him continuing to run in 2008 than this supposed generous and noble "payback to the sport of racing and its fans" by Jess Jackson.

What say you?

Burls
03-30-2008, 03:16 AM
What about the other owners of Curlin who are tied up in legal proceedings? Doesn't anyone think this has a little something to do with Curlin still running this year?

My cynical side says the legal troubles of some of Curlin's connections has more to do with him continuing to run in 2008 than this supposed generous and noble "payback to the sport of racing and its fans" by Jess Jackson.

What say you?

I get the sense that Jess Jackson is a 78 year old man with more money than he knows what to do with.
He saw an opportunity, and he's decided to give himself a place in the history of the sport he loves by becoming the owner of its greatest purse earner.
I think he's probably doing this for selfish reasons rather than acting out of generous and noble motives to "pay back the sport of racing and its fans".
These two different kinds of motivations aren't necessarily incompatible, though.

I think the folks with legal troubles and a 20% interest in Curlin don't play any role in decisions involving Curlin.
Since Jackson has 80% ownership now, he makes ALL of the decisions.

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Yes, but with their legal and monetary situation "up in the air" and the fact that they owned ALL of Curlin during the period of time their alleged misdeeds were being done, does this not have any bearing on the important decision of whether or not to retire Curlin to stud?

Surely the 20% have some say in all of this (or at least their lawyers do, as do the lawyers of those seeking damages).

Pace Cap'n
03-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Curlin's ownership would not have to change for him to go to stud.

Options: Go to stud and earn 10=15mil this year. Or race and earn 5=6mil this year.

A judge has divested the minority owners of their share once already. Now it's on appeal.

I would think if Jess Jackson didn't want him running, he wouldn't be running.

Burls
03-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Surely the 20% have some say in all of this (or at least their lawyers do, as do the lawyers of those seeking damages).

Wouldn't it just be like any other share holding corporation?
The share holders would be allowed to vote on policies that would affect the bottom line of the corporation.
When one of the share holders has 80% of the shares, though, the voting process would be entirely moot.