PDA

View Full Version : How do they bet em?

hurrikane
02-11-2003, 11:54 AM
I run into this all the time. In the 1st at MNR tonight. the 9..parasevens. the mlo is 6-1.
The horse is dropping from MSW to a 4k MCL. maybe that is why the 6-1. I don't know.

What I do know is THIS TRAINER IS 82-0!!!!!

What the heck makes people think this guy will be 83-1 tommorrow morning?

Shouldn't you demand 83-1 odds. Maybe we could hear from the 'due' bettors on this one.

I saw the same thing Sat at LRL. The crowd bet a horse down to even money. The trainer was 52-1. Why do people do this????

Perhaps more importantly. Why do I care? :D

ranchwest
02-11-2003, 12:05 PM
I once bet jockey Kim Valene when she'd never won with over 600 mounts. The horse should have been 3-5, but was 5-1, probably because of Valene. I bet the horse.

Why? It had the outside post and I figured she would keep the horse out of trouble. She took it to the extreme. She was 3 wide on the turn with no horse inside of her.

The horse won by several lengths.

Each race is a new puzzle.

Certainly when a trainer is 0 for 82 you have to have a sound reason to want to try their horse, but I recommend against saying NEVER HAPPEN. You are right in that these guys have "earned" their bad record, beware.

The trainers I am most discouraged about are the ones who have not had an entry in 30 days. Even the "due" people can't make an argument for them. lol

Lefty
02-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Yrs ago in S. CA(when they had horses)I bet and won with a 15-1 shot that Danny Sorenson was riding. After the race a friend says.
"How could you bet that horse? Sorenson was 0-102."
I told him I bet the horse because it met my criteria and none of the 102 losers Sorenson rode did.
Lots of times i'm not even aware of who's riding my pick until after the race.

takeout
02-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Just a theory...

Trainer info in the track programs is probably sketchy at best. Maybe those that are using the track programs don't realize that they are betting a trainer that's 0-for-82?

ranchwest
02-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by takeout
Just a theory...

Trainer info in the track programs is probably sketchy at best. Maybe those that are using the track programs don't realize that they are betting a trainer that's 0-for-82?

I imagine a lot of casual bettors are overwhelmed by the information glut and ignore the trainer information.

There's probably also a lot of computer handicappers who ignore the trainer information.

Then, when you add in the folks who figure the horse can overcome the trainer's poor record, then you might have quite a few folks on the horse.

azmike
02-11-2003, 04:09 PM
If you are looking for any "positives" you might note on this horse--

1. The trainer is "only" 0 for 9 in maiden claimers
2. The jockey is positve 1.29 roi on maiden claimers

I am not excited about the horse but one of these days the trainer will win at a price.

Some of the others "dropped" from MSW in earlier pacelines.

The favorite looks good but not at 7/5. 10 might be worth a look in my opinion at 8/1 but that is based on just glacing at the lines.

Good luck, we'll both need it at the Mountain tonight :)

joeprunes
02-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Years ago I bet a horse that was o-38,my friend said how could I bet this horse which never ran better then 110.4 mostly 111 change they keep dropping him and still cant win.I said simply because all the other horses cant break 111.0,he finally found his spot,and yes he did win,he was the best horse that day.

Amazin
02-11-2003, 08:54 PM
If I had a dime for every 0-million jock or trainer,or bozo bomb horse or photo I lost,I would have retired.Case in point,just last Sunday in SA 8th,I have the exacta cold.Who beats me? A 64-1 shot.In the last Bris contest,I had a big shot to win it with my 20-1 shot.Who beats me?A 50-1 maiden in a stake!Give me a break.At GGF a few years ago,a horse retired called the Brazillion.He won only 2 races out of over a hundred.You guessed it.The day he won his non-maiden race,he cost me a $500.00 profit.I don't believe in stats that much anymore.If the horse looks like he can win today,throw out the stats,not the horse.

ranchwest
02-11-2003, 08:55 PM
This one was no surprise. Zero for 83, finished 5th.

dav4463
02-11-2003, 11:18 PM
There is an 0 for 73 jockey right now at Sam Houston, A. Gray, who is going to pop with a big one soon. I can't see a winless meet from this jockey.

hurrikane
02-12-2003, 01:39 PM
yeah ranch. and they bet him down to 4-1. go figure.

az..hope you hit well last night. This guy won't hit at a price if they keep betting him down to 4-1 odds..eh.

azmike
02-14-2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks for asking. I eeked out a small positive roi but might have done better except for one of my horses throwing the jockey and another being blocked/checked in the lane.