PDA

View Full Version : 70% of Americans Believe the US is in recession

delayjf
03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
The power of the American media - 70% of Americans believe we are in a recession. Problem is, it's not true.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080327/economy.html?.v=21

lamboguy
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
recession or no recession. bet your money on mccain and you will be in heaven!

Tom
03-27-2008, 01:56 PM
McCain = War Pass

Bridge ==========
......................||
......................||
......................||....(:])/...........................

jballscalls
03-27-2008, 04:07 PM
McCain = War Pass

Bridge ==========
......................||
......................||
......................||....(:])/........................... :D :D I wonder who is a more entertaining speaker, mccain or war pass??

GameTheory
03-27-2008, 05:02 PM
The power of the American media - 70% of Americans believe we are in a recession. Problem is, it's not true.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080327/economy.html?.v=21If people believe it, then it is true cause they'll hold on to their money. I know my business is way down this year so far...

lsbets
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
If people believe it, then it is true cause they'll hold on to their money. I know my business is way down this year so far...

Consumer confidence is everything - it drives the economy. We saw an immediate slowdown in spending once the primaries started and all you heard was how bad everything is. I don't think there was a recession before Iowa and New Hampshire, but I have no doubt there is one now. We're still up year over year, but not nearly as much as was projected. If we were not in growth mode coming into this year, we would more than likely be down year over year.

Gibbon
03-27-2008, 09:27 PM
....immediate slowdown in spending Leads to more savings! Considering the pathetically low savings rate; deceleration in overall spending means paying off consumer accumulated debt. Big positive long term.

We face a much larger problem directly on the horizon. The Feds insistence to inflate money {but its not a bail out :bang: } supply will lead to continued softness of our greenback and looming energy costs. Today, the dollar sunk to record lows against the Euro, Pound and Yen. Oil back up to record inflation adjusted highs. No candidate would dare speak of clean reliable nuclear energy to wean us off of terrorist petroleum.

Dems win + tax increases = big trouble.

pktruckdriver
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I am a truck driver and out here is getting very tough, example as follows:

FOR THE 1ST TIME EVER I FUELED UP AND PAID OVER $900 FOR IT, THAT IS RIGHT OVER $900.00 FOR A FILL-UP, THAT IS ABSURD, HI-WAY ROBBERY.

I THINK WE PASSED THE RECESSION AND WENT STRAIGHT INTO DEPRESSION, I KNOW I'M DEPPRESSED PUTTING $900 EACH TIME I FILL-UP, BOUT 3 TIMES A WEEK, HECK IT USED BE 200.00 JUST A FEW YEARS AGO, WHAT HAPPENED??

GOD HAVE MERCY ON US, CAUSE THE GOVERMENT IS NOT AND WILL NOT.

Patrick

russowen77
03-27-2008, 10:03 PM
I promised PA I would not get into political discussions but I have been around John at a VFW function. He is a frail old man who needs a lot of makeup. I hope he makes a wise choice of VP because as usual the Dems are self destructing.

bigmack
03-27-2008, 10:10 PM
PUTTING $900 EACH TIME I FILL-UP, BOUT 3 TIMES A WEEK
Holy S&H - You must have patio furniture up the wazoo.

http://texashideout.tripod.com/green_stamps.jpg

Gibbon
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
....wise choice of VP Mitt Romney. Now that's a dream ticket or not.

sammy the sage
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/03/27/foodbank.family/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

But no recession....yeah right...liar's figure; figure's lie; & those in charge post/twist the figures to best suit them!

rastajenk
03-28-2008, 07:27 AM
That's a sad story, Sammy, but it's likely there's much more to her story. She didn't get much sympathy from the first three commentors underneath. Her tale isn't any worse than mine. Maybe she should get back with her "estranged husband" to get through the tough times. Maybe she's holding out for another 70K job instead of settling for a 50K job; maybe loan processors shouldn't be getting 70K to begin with. How did CNN find this particular person willing to tell her story (it seems like frequently people trotted out to personalize impersonal statistics are party operatives or their friends)? Who knows? Her circumstances are hardly evidence for a recession.

From the article: "He added, "The only thing they can do is give us anecdotal evidence that they think it's because of the sub-prime mortgage meltdown and the housing crisis."

It is said Republicans are the champion fear-mongerers, but nobody plays fear like libs. Everything is a crisis: health care crisis, housing crisis, banking crisis, gas crisis. It seems like if we haven't achieved a utopian state, we're in a crisis. I think we'd get different outcomes if we packaged situations as "challenges" instead of "crises."

sammy the sage
03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
you want evidence...plenty here...it's all a matter of perspective/interpretation!

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43556&page=1&pp=15

JustRalph
03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
she lives in California, where 70k ain't shit. She has a 2500 a month "interest only" mortgage............ what does that tell you?

get real. That is an anecdotal story. She was living above her means prior to losing her job and a bad spot has put her at her personal bottom. It happens to lots of people and they climb out of it. She ended up on a CNN page because the media will do anything to make it look like the economy is worse than what it is. CNN also knows that dumbass readers who live in flyover country think 70k is a good job. They will be flabbergasted that she didn't have anymore savings etc with a 70k a year job. When in reality, in California, it's a decent job only. Especially if you have kids.

BTW, where is Dad? Estranged...........????

Why was she denied food stamps? They don't explain that.

JustRalph
03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
California being the worst state in the Union when it comes to Real Estate prices being artificially inflated is now screaming about the market collapse.

Realtors, Bankers and Government officials have all been found to have played a part of this crap. The ones who are getting away with it are the Realtors. They are still making money on this crap............everytime they sell something...............no matter how much their clients are losing.........Realtors are still making money. They should be going to jail with the Bankers.............nope.....that won't happen.

I want to see this lady in the articles real estate deal. I guarantee she took a bad loan or bought a house way to expensive for her income.

http://www.realtor.com/search/searchresults.aspx?zp=91001&ml=3&bd=4&typ=1

chickenhead
03-28-2008, 04:10 PM
I guarantee she took a bad loan or bought a house way to expensive for her income.

well at around $4K a month take home her interest only mortgage is 62.5% of her income. Don't know how she got into that situation, but I'd say that is a situation where she's pretty much guaranteed to fail.

Should have kept your powder dry, lady.

Signed,
A long time renter (who hates renting)

bigmack
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/03/27/foodbank.family/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

But no recession....yeah right...liar's figure; figure's lie; & those in charge post/twist the figures to best suit them!
That woman should have never been approved for a loan in the first place. $2500/mo with no dent on the principal & she made $70K. Sounds like pushing paper that was destined to come back.

Gibbon
03-28-2008, 07:33 PM
All this sickens me. While Ben Bernanke and Co. pumps up US money supply as though ink at the Mint is about to run dry, where was the Feds' bailout package during the dot com bust? Trillions were lost!

Some Americas live beyond their means. Those desiring assets {home, car, vacations} based on financially irresponsible selfish motives should not be given a financial pardon. I'd never thought I would live long enough to see Nikita Khrushchev run economic policy in my once free country.

You gamble and lose, not my problem. The Junior Senator from Illinois is destined for history. His staff understands America's me, me, me generation on steroids. Ask not what you can do for your county, ask what your county can do for me, me, me.

BTW: based on financial demographics compiled from, Experian, TransUnion, Equifax and FICO, Americans fiscal health are peaches. No recession but stagflation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagflation).

California being the worst state in the Union when it comes to Real Estate prices... Lefty subversives from Cali should consider communal living arrangements.

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2008, 03:23 AM
I promised PA I would not get into political discussions but I have been around John at a VFW function. He is a frail old man who needs a lot of makeup. I hope he makes a wise choice of VP because as usual the Dems are self destructing.How many times are you going to post about McCain's looks/age? Not to mention this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Unless you have access to some secret medical report about McCain that we all aren't privy too, once was enough with this silliness.

ddog
03-29-2008, 01:07 PM
How many times are you going to post about McCain's looks/age? Not to mention this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Unless you have access to some secret medical report about McCain that we all aren't privy too, once was enough with this silliness.

Has he released his meds yet?

that could be a time bomb for him with all the challenges he has had.