PDA

View Full Version : War Pass revenge time

ny0707ny
03-27-2008, 10:51 AM
For everyone that wrote this horse off already, read this.

http://tcm.bloodhorse.com:80/viewstory.asp?id=44267

This horse is special. I stand by what I said since I saw him at 2.

russowen77
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
It looks like he is healthy again. At least I hope so.

john del riccio
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd of taken more notice if he workd a solid 6f or 7f. A half mile is nice, but it ain't gonna mean much when he's going to be racing andother 5f in the Wood.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting th ehorse down, I just know that longer works are much more telling than short ones, especially for 3yo's thi stime of year.

John

Fingal
03-27-2008, 11:31 AM
We'll see. After all, it's not the big dance on the 1st Saturday in May.

ny0707ny
03-27-2008, 11:53 AM
We will know by the result next Saturday if he can deliver on the track now once again. The fast workout is a great sign. The Derby distance is always going to be a question, but it will also depend on the pace of the race.

jonnielu
03-27-2008, 12:18 PM
We will know by the result next Saturday if he can deliver on the track now once again. The fast workout is a great sign. The Derby distance is always going to be a question, but it will also depend on the pace of the race.

The Derby distance won't be a question once WP lugs in 14th. With that fork hanging out.

jdl

Tom
03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
:eek:;)

ny0707ny
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
He ran a 1 1/16 and comments were "held well"

Actually his tomlinson rating for the distance is higher than most horses. He has a 314. Pyro has a 279. If you go by the tomlinson ratings, War Pass should have no trouble.

jonnielu
03-27-2008, 12:49 PM
He ran a 1 1/16 and comments were "held well"

Actually his tomlinson rating for the distance is higher than most horses. He has a 314. Pyro has a 279. If you go by the tomlinson ratings, War Pass should have no trouble.

Why would somone want to go by the Tomlinson ratings?

jdl

Robert Fischer
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
hopefully he runs a 150 beyer

oddsmaven
03-27-2008, 01:05 PM
As a fan, I'd be happy to see him rebound, but as a bettor I am not of the school that can throw out last...perhaps he can take the Wood by virtue of an uncontested leisurely pace but I expect that he'll more likely burn up money and provide an excellent betting opportunity on someone else...the workout doesn't do much for me...the dismal effort in the TB Derby spoke volumes.

mountainman
03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
War Emblem's win was a fluke resultant of the jockeys reading all those predictions of a suicide pace. One-dimensional speeds like War Pass normally have no chance in the derby. Even as profiling becomes useless and traditional rules for handicapping the race no longer apply, the ability to rate and pass rivals remains critical. Besides that, it's too late to recover from such a backwards step as War Pass took at Tampa. Nick Zito may need to keep the dream alive, and pundits something to write about, but that doesn't mean I drink the koolaid. Besides, Watchmaker jinxed the horse with that nonsense about War pass "stirring the emotions." PUHLEEEEEEZZZZ. Just a thought here, but perhaps it might be wise to not get weepy the next time some speedball wins uncontested on the lead. No way War Pass wins the derby.

ny0707ny
03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I think it is harder to win the Derby if you are a closer. You have to deal with all traffic problems. That is why I don't like Pyro for the Derby. Circular Quay was a big closer and could not deliver. Street Sense got through on a perfect trip and he was a much better horse anyway than most we have this year.

War Emblem did it from start to finish on the lead. I kept saying that year the race was on "when are they going to challange him!" They never did and he wired the race.

ny0707ny
03-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Just checking here. The breezing 4f workout WP just had is the fastest 4f breezing workout he did since Jan 10th at least, which is far as my PP goes back to. He did 47 2/5 today. 47 3/5 B feb 9th.

On Feb2nd he did 46 4/5 but that was handily.

The king is back! :eek:

mountainman
03-27-2008, 01:50 PM
I think it is harder to win the Derby if you are a closer. You have to deal with all traffic problems. That is why I don't like Pyro for the Derby. Circular Quay was a big closer and could not deliver. Street Sense got through on a perfect trip and he was a much better horse anyway than most we have this year.

War Emblem did it from start to finish on the lead. I kept saying that year the race was on "when are they going to challange him!" They never did and he wired the race.

True, congested traffic sometimes hinders stretch runners in big fields. But the fast fractions that invariably develop in large fields can be COUNTED on to compromise the speeds, and the winner will be some rallier that DID enjoy a decent trip.

NYPlayer
03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
For everyone that wrote this horse off already, read this.

http://tcm.bloodhorse.com:80/viewstory.asp?id=44267 (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44267)

This horse is special. I stand by what I said since I saw him at 2.

I read this at DRF.com:

http://www.drf.com/news/article/93267.html

David Grening quotes Zito:

"I'm praying, thanking God that we got another shot. I'm just hoping he has a good week, we build off this, and he shows something in the Wood."

"A lot of questions are going to be answered in the Wood,"...

I'll say! Today's workout was the first for War Pass in twelve days and the only one he'll get before the Wood.

I hope Zito prays hard.

ny0707ny
03-27-2008, 10:27 PM
If you throw out his Tampa race, he is the best horse this year by miles. Im thinking he will fill those seats at Aqueduct next Saturday. You will have some crowd there :faint:

asH
03-28-2008, 02:51 AM
Deja vu all over again

Bellamy Road wins Wood 2005

"I told Javier (Castellano, jockey) that the plan was to let him get to the first turn," said Zito, who took over the training of this colt from Michael Dickinson in early 2005. "We'll take our chances, and just hope we don't get into a speed duel - and let the horse run his race, because he's a big, long horse and he wants to run free. Boy, he was unbelievable today. He just kept going." What is particularly impressive about Bellamy Road is that, since Zito has taken over his conditioning, he has put in two huge efforts. On March 12th, he won a one-mile Gulfstream Park allowance by more than 15 lengths in 1:35 4/5.

Feb 24th allowance War Pass 1:36.38 7.5 lengths (Mar 15 Tampa Derby ...ouch)

"I hope Bellamy Road stays this way for four weeks, and he'll have a good shot, too," said Zito, who also won the Kentucky Derby in 1991 with Strike the Gold. "He had a great race first time out. Bellamy road broke from post 3 and easily grabbed an uncontested lead on a track that was lighting fast. His fractions under jockey Javier Castellano were :23; :46; 1:09 4/5 and 1:34 2/5, and he never looked distressed. "He wasn't pressured," Castellano said. "He wants to go longer, no question about it; the more distance, the better. He's an impressive horse. He's really unbelievable. He looked beautiful today. I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray that everything works out good."

cha-ching and violins

john del riccio
03-28-2008, 05:22 AM
War Emblem's win was a fluke resultant of the jockeys reading all those predictions of a suicide pace. One-dimensional speeds like War Pass normally have no chance in the derby. Even as profiling becomes useless and traditional rules for handicapping the race no longer apply, the ability to rate and pass rivals remains critical. Besides that, it's too late to recover from such a backwards step as War Pass took at Tampa. Nick Zito may need to keep the dream alive, and pundits something to write about, but that doesn't mean I drink the koolaid. Besides, Watchmaker jinxed the horse with that nonsense about War pass "stirring the emotions." PUHLEEEEEEZZZZ. Just a thought here, but perhaps it might be wise to not get weepy the next time some speedball wins uncontested on the lead. No way War Pass wins the derby.

War Emblems Derby win was not a fluke IMO. I photo-copied the ticket of my bet on him because I knew I just caught the CD crowd with their pants down. Its still hanging up in my office !

He came back and won the Prekness too, without getting an early lead.

John

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Why would somone want to go by the Tomlinson ratings?Obviously because they find it useful. Why would you ask such a ridiculous question?

If you find no use for them, this has little bearing on whether or not another person finds them effective in some way.

ny0707ny
03-29-2008, 12:29 AM
I always use the tomlinson ratings for distance until the horse actually races the distance. Then I usually don't use the tomlinson figures anymore. How else would you know how far the horse can travel? I thought everyone used them.

I know the dosage and all of that, but with just the paper you have no other way of knowing how far the horse can run.