PDA

View Full Version : Betting Amount

Stick
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I have been carving out 10%-25% for some years now using flat betting and was wondering if I should be using some other method to increase the percentage. My problem is that my bankroll does not get larger. Because I just give the family the work check without touching it and pay for things like gas,food,Xmas, etc. out of my winnings I am left with the same bankroll over an extended period of time.Should I just keep flat betting?

GaryG
03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
If that has been working for you I wouldn't change it. I was a flat bettor for years and only have been focusing on the P3 and P4 wagers in the last couple of years. Maybe you could raise the amount of your bet. Good luck.

Norm
03-26-2008, 03:25 PM
I have been carving out 10%-25% for some years now using flat betting and was wondering if I should be using some other method to increase the percentage. My problem is that my bankroll does not get larger. Because I just give the family the work check without touching it and pay for things like gas,food,Xmas, etc. out of my winnings I am left with the same bankroll over an extended period of time.Should I just keep flat betting?
Seems to me that you are doing the right thing. I have been Flat Betting for some 50 years now. I recommend it to anyone who is willing to listen (and many who are not). If your winning percentage is consistent, you will always profit from flat bets. If you want to increase your wager, do it in plateaus. As a wager, I use 1/40th of my starting bankroll. If I want to step-up for a season, I wait 'til I have won 40 times the new wager amount. I keep my bankroll completely separate from all other financial activities. When I have reached a pre-determined amount, I will withdraw an amount for other uses such that I still have 40 times my usual wager in my "racing fund".

Keep up the good work !

Stick
03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys.

sammy the sage
03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
If all 3 of you are that good...I'll "coat-tail" :cool:

Actaully...Gary does a fine job posting some plays... :cool:

Stick
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Was hoping I would get some ideas on progressive betting, but every time I add it up using something other than flat I get a smaller return.

FlyinLate
03-27-2008, 12:05 AM
You know they say, don't fix what isn't broken.

Murph
03-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Was hoping I would get some ideas on progressive betting, but every time I add it up using something other than flat I get a smaller return.Maybe you could "weigh" your confidence on each play and decide to invest 2 or 3 units of wager, depending on the circumstance. Eliminates forced progression for the sake of recouping or chasing your bad luck. You can recoup losses but not just because you lost recently. I only risk a larger amount when I have a better chance to cash the ticket.

ManeMediaMogul
03-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Maybe you could "weigh" your confidence on each play and decide to invest 2 or 3 units of wager, depending on the circumstance. Eliminates forced progression for the sake of recouping or chasing your bad luck. You can recoup losses but not just because you lost recently. I only risk a larger amount when I have a better chance to cash the ticket.

Weighing your confidence in each play is handicapping your handicapping.

Why play unless you have an edge?

Why bet on a weak selection?

You can pick a horse in every race, but should you bet every race?

No.

Think of your life as one gigantic raceday - a million-race card and you'll be staying all day. Bet your best plays and sit the other ones out.
Go to the paddock...girl watch...have a beer...don't look for action bets.

Stick
03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
My plays are designed to take advantage of how certain tracks are underbet in winning situations. When you get enough info (PP) you can see how some tracks are overbet by certain types of horses. On the other hand, other winning factors are not as attractive turning them into overlays. Making these plays over and over produces long tem profit, but I can not determine which individual ones would get a higher %. The winning % at different tracks usually turns out the same, but ROI could be - at one and + at the other.Thanks for the suggestions.