PDA

View Full Version : Horseplayer Magazine A+ service

njcurveball
03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Horseplayer Magazine A+ service! Amazing!
OK, I know most will think the title is spewing with sarcasm, but read the story below and make your own conclusion.

I decided to test the Horseplayer magazine "experience". I went to their site and Emailed the contact there I wanted to buy a local copy of the mag.

Since this was a test, I told NO ONE I was doing this and I am sure she doesn't know who I am.

I got an Email back from Terri Kato (tkato@prodigy.net). It is copied below:

Hi Jim:
Our magazine is not available on any newsstands anywhere in the country, but if you e-mail me
your snail mail address, I'll mail you a complimentary copy for your review.
Thank you for your interest & good luck at the races!
Best Regards,
Terri Kato
CFO
The HorsePlayer Magazine

That was last Thursday, today I received the copy, FOUR DAYS LATER.

Total time from first email to receiving the magazine, SIX DAYS!

I cannot speak for anyone else, good or bad. But I have no worries about subscribing to this magazine now. Perhaps for those who have had problems, this Email will work better?

I have only good things to say about Tom and now about Terri as well.

Jim

For those who may think I asked for a freebie (I didn't), my original Email to them is copied below.

Subject: Buying your magazine

Are there any copies at news stands in NJ, or is it just Snail Mail?

thanks,

Jim

rrpic6
03-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Interesting that this subject came about....I'm still a bit miffed about how I was treated by Tom and his staff back in 2001.

I paid by check for a subcription at the end of 2000. I believe it was $35.00. I received 3 issues then nothing afterwards. I called the 800 number in the magazine and e-mailed Tom and others yet was ignored for months. I finally got a sarcastic e-mail from a female staff member stating that "I should question my mailman, he might be stealing the magazine every month." Quite rude!! I let Tom know about this, as I am a "Mailman" also...again no reply.

I even talked to the guys at BRIS that know a few of the others involved at Horseplayer Magazine, again, no return e-mails or calls.

Maybe Tom will see this and get a hold of me to complete my subscription.....7 years later.

RR

njcurveball
03-24-2008, 10:26 PM
RR,

Your story above is similar to what I have heard. Perhaps they had a bad egg in the subscription department before? Maybe you should try writing again. Use the email above as that seems to be someone who cares.

Jim

cj
03-25-2008, 02:43 AM
I haven't had many problems with it, other than occasionally getting the magazine after the races it highlighted were run. I finally let my subscription lapse this year. I had every single issue up until then. Unfortunately, I think the quality has lapsed which is why I declined this time around.

I'll probably sell them all on eBay at some point soon.

Tom
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
The latest issue was mailed on 3/15, so says their webpage.
You got your comp and I'm still waiting for my paid copy.

I have had terrible service in the past. Last couple of years have been ok, until now....we'll see if it shows up soon.

Don't even get Donnie started on HP......:eek:

njcurveball
03-25-2008, 11:07 AM

I would email them at the address above Tom. My "test" was simply to see if they would respond (they did) and if their response was helpful (it was). I never expected to get a "comp" and certainly never expected to get it faster than the subscribers.

That says to me, the problem is in the people who mail the books out. Perhaps he pays someone to do it in their spare time?

Doesn't make sense they want to keep this reputation of great magazine, but I won't buy it due to the poor service.

Jim

Tom
03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Jim....I'll try the address Friday is it hasn't come yet.
That should be long enough even for the post office! :rolleyes:

MakinItHappen
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
OK, I know most will think the title is spewing with sarcasm, but read the story below and make your own conclusion.

My conclusion from reading NJCurveball's post and the comments of other's in this thread is that Horseplayer Magazine has some issues regarding basic business focus and prioritization.

It sounds like as an organization as a whole, they are committing "errors" with some basic fundamental business processes (ie- resolving customer complaints and timely distribution of their publication) "while knocking one out of the park" on a one-off general inquiry. And who hit this hanging curveball out of the park?... known other than the bleeping CFO! This sounds like Babe Ruth wandering up to the plate to bat in sandlot game while the Yankees lose by one run because he forgets they had a game! I mean, they may be a small organization and all, but talk about fiddling while Rome burns...

Anyway, kudo's for the handling of Jim's inquiry, but come on people...

Best of Luck To HorsePlayer magazine and Everyone!

MakinItHappen

Niko
03-25-2008, 11:04 PM
The latest issue was mailed on 3/15, so says their webpage.

I have had terrible service in the past. Last couple of years have been ok, until now....we'll see if it shows up soon.

Don't even get Donnie started on HP......:eek:

Me too Tom. It used to annoy me when I'd go to the track, see someone with the lateast issue and I'd get mine a week or two later. I'm always wondering when my next issue is going to come and what information has already happened, if I was an advertisor I'd be pissed if my event already occurred or people didn't have time to react. The magazine has soo much potential which keeps me around but it seems like everytime I'm surprised I'm let down the next time. It's been worth the small subscription price but I wouldn't pay more.

The nose is hilarious! I like Donna Bartons column and the trainer and player interviews. I want insight and new ideas....

FUGITIVE77
03-31-2008, 02:37 AM

I decided to test the Horseplayer magazine "experience". I went to their site and Emailed the contact there I wanted to buy a local copy of the mag.

Since this was a test, I told NO ONE I was doing this and I am sure she doesn't know who I am.

I got an Email back from Terri Kato (tkato@prodigy.net). It is copied below:

Hi Jim:
Our magazine is not available on any newsstands anywhere in the country, but if you e-mail me
your snail mail address, I'll mail you a complimentary copy for your review.
Thank you for your interest & good luck at the races!
Best Regards,
Terri Kato
CFO
The HorsePlayer Magazine

That was last Thursday, today I received the copy, FOUR DAYS LATER.

Total time from first email to receiving the magazine, SIX DAYS!

I cannot speak for anyone else, good or bad. But I have no worries about subscribing to this magazine now. Perhaps for those who have had problems, this Email will work better?

I have only good things to say about Tom and now about Terri as well.

Jim

For those who may think I asked for a freebie (I didn't), my original Email to them is copied below.

Subject: Buying your magazine

Are there any copies at news stands in NJ, or is it just Snail Mail?

thanks,

Jim

I've always enjoyed the magazine, been a subscriber since it first came out, never having a problem with late delivery. There is so little written for the horseplayer that I don't know how any player can pass it up. It stands as one of my favorite mags, right behind GolfWeek and Buxom Asians.

Niko
03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
I finally received my issue Saturday.

One thing I do really like is the tough issues they tackle. The article on past posting was tremendous. Many kudo's for being bold to print what's been talked about here and other places--and to have someone write it that offers real proof.