PDA

View Full Version : Card Game Robbed--Players Connected To Harness Racing

Pace Cap'n
03-24-2008, 06:24 PM
www.delawareonline.com/ (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080323/NEWS01/803230337)

"The commission is concerned about what's in the best interest of harness racing," Gallagher said. "We'll have to determine whether it's an illegal activity. It could possibly be against the law.

"If it was found to be illegal, I'd probably assign an investigator and want a full report to find out why they would be engaged in that activity and at what level in a purported illegal activity such as a high-stakes card game," he said.

When applying for a license, owners, trainers and other members of the industry must state whether they are involved in "illegal gambling."

Even though Delaware authorities rarely if ever arrest people who play in poker games, playing cards for money is a misdemeanor under Delaware law.

In addition, the commission can refuse, suspend or revoke a license if someone is convicted of a gambling violation, has pending criminal charges or "whose conduct or reputation may adversely reflect on the honesty and integrity of horse racing."

Pace Cap'n
03-24-2008, 06:28 PM
www.delawareonline.com/ (www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080323/NEWS01/803230359)

But when one whacked a player on the head, Orrico and the others realized they were victims in a real robbery at Wild Quail Golf and Country Club."I feared for my life," said the Dover businessman, who recently gave The News Journal the first blow-by-blow account of the Feb. 22 ordeal. Although a few other victims acknowledged being there, they would not discuss details. Several others did not return reporters' calls.

"They put pillowcases over our heads and handcuffed us with plastic ties,'' Orrico said. "If I had heard one gunshot, I would have dropped dead."