PDA

View Full Version : JOCK SUSPENDED FOR SIX MTHS

WINMANWIN
02-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Have to applaud the stewards at Delta Downs, For acting in a very unusual manner, Suspending DONNIE MECHE 6 mths. My Impression is track management likes to keep integrity issues
discreet, and every so often Enforce NON TRY ISSUES. Delta Downs surprised me: read below:

Fron DRF Online

Donnie Meche suspended six months
By MARCUS HERSH
NEW ORLEANS - Stewards at Delta Downs handed jockey Donnie Meche a six-month suspension on Saturday for his ride aboard Cleaning House on Jan. 23 at Delta. Cleaning House, a heavy favorite in a trial race for the Graduation Futurity, finished third, and Meche was penalized for not doing his best to win the race.Stewards, who held a hearing with Meche on Saturday, cited Meche for two rules violations, one that stated he didn't use his whip "in a manner consistent with using his best efforts to win," the other a more general racing rule that forbids a rider from doing anything "that has the effect of diminishing the chance of the horse winning any race".Cleaning House, who's owned by Grunwald Racing and trained by Steve Asmussen, returned to win the Graduation Futurity finals by a nose on Saturday night. He was ridden by Steve Bourque on Saturday.Meche immediately appealed his penalty, but the Louisiana State Racing Commission denied his appeal. The LSRC has the right to deny an appeal if a hearing on the matter is held within 10 days. The LSRC has scheduled a hearing for Monday, Feb. 17. The six-month penalty was the maximum that could be applied in the case by the Delta stewards, but the LSRC isn't bound by the ruling. If the judgment against Meche is upheld at the LSRC hearing, the penalty can be increased or lessened.Cleaning House ran in one of two five-furlong trial races for the Graduation Futurity on the night of Jan. 23. The Graduation Futurity was open to horses that were maidens as of Jan. 1, and the top five finishers from the $10,000 trials qualified for the final. Cleaning House, who had raced competitively with maidens at Fair Grounds, was favored at odds of 3-5 in his race. He didn't break well, and after racing behind the leaders on the backstretch ranged up with a move around the far turn. Cleaning House drifted in during the stretch run and wound up third, beaten two-and-three-quarters lengths.Both Asmussen and Meche said Cleaning House had grabbed a quarter leaving the gate. Asmussen said a state sanctioned veterinarian examined Cleaning House at Evangeline Downs, where Cleaning House was stabled, a couple days after the trial race and saw the injured hoof.Meche, Asmussen's main rider the last several years, denied any wrongdoing. "I took care of the horse," Meche said. "He wasn't hitting the ground like he should have that day. I wasn't pushing him to overextend himself. I thought I did my job as well as I could."An LSRC official said the investigation into the race remains open but declined to offer further details.Asmussen said he knew little about Meche's suspension. "I'm extremely surprised by what I've heard," Asmussen said. "I absolutely know nothing about it."

BillW
02-09-2003, 10:39 PM
I hope the stewards are 100% sure about the health of that horse. As positive a move as it is to act as they did, suspending a jockey for not beating an injured horse has far more negative connotations.

Bill

GameTheory
02-09-2003, 10:44 PM
I hope so to, but also realize that with any incident, the "defendents" will *ALWAYS* put forth some excuse. There was no way he was just going to say, "Of course I didn't push him, this was just a prep race."

You ought to be able to tell from the video if the horse was in any physical distress, and of course from examination for injury. Was any note made of this possible injury right after the race, or not until an investigation was announced?

WINMANWIN
02-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
I hope so to, but also realize that with any incident, the "defendents" will *ALWAYS* put forth some excuse. There was no way he was just going to say, "Of course I didn't push him, this was just a prep race."

You ought to be able to tell from the video if the horse was in any physical distress, and of course from examination for injury. Was any note made of this possible injury right after the race, or not until an investigation was announced?

The sad thing for horse players here is, According to the article
The vet reported the horse grabbed a qtr, and was injured.Well
I would think Every trainer in the world would like to use his
services because the horse returned 16 DAYS AFTER to WIN Next out ! Sorry Donnie, Your guilty, and the whole Jockey colony is also ! Three things in life we know for sure DEATH, TAXES, AND JOCKS NEVER PASSING A POLY ! ;)

Handy Cap
02-10-2003, 02:30 AM
My Opinion...

Donnie Meche is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt...an injured horse doesn't come back and win 16 days later...and if he wasnt hitting the ground very good as Donnie said, then why race the horse up for 3rd? I give Delta Downs a lot of credit for this decision.

crackers@NOLA
02-10-2003, 08:20 AM
go to the DELTA website and watch the race. I would like to hear comments. !-23-03 9th race the horse in ? is the 8 green with pink cap. It's FREE to watch.

LOU M.
02-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Why not suspensions for racing secretaries who force trainers to enter horses to fill cards so the track can get their take. These horses leave the gate and stop,HMMM.How about suspending a trainer who enters a G1 horse in an ALW of a layoff who goes off at even money and isn't asked to give it all for a minor award.I doubt anyone is investigating that $157 horse at GP the other day.Meches's only a scape goat. Another cosmetic solution.Why don't they do the right thing and make the connections of every horse declare wether its a prep for the horse or they're really in the race for the win.

cj
02-10-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by LOU M.
...Why don't they do the right thing and make the connections of every horse declare wether its a prep for the horse or they're really in the race for the win.

And what would happen the 1st time one of the "preppers" won? It surely would happen a lot.

CJ

cj
02-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by crackers
go to the DELTA website and watch the race. I would like to hear comments. !-23-03 9th race the horse in ? is the 8 green with pink cap. It's FREE to watch.

I did just that, and I have to say, that was pretty bad. I've seen worse though, so six months seems a little harsh IMO.

Has anyone heard from the trainer? I'd be curious to know his pre-race instructions.

CJ

GameTheory
02-10-2003, 08:58 AM
The preppers would be non-bettable and ineligible for purse money. Any horse running for a potential purse must be given every chance to win. Then the game would really get interesting...

cj
02-10-2003, 09:06 AM
One other thing...

I just went and watched the stakes the horse made by gaining 3rd in the qualifier. I doubt this horse wins if he was all out in the trial race. He had to fight tooth and nail all the way around the track. Interesting dilemma. Only solution I can see is no betting on trial races.

CJ

WINMANWIN
02-10-2003, 09:46 AM
I would think the stewards had some sizable wagers invoving this horse to make a statement like that. Possibly, They needed
Donnie's horse to WIN and complete a sizable pik 3:D
Now the stewards know, How the horseplayers feel. LOL !

I remember in New York some mths ago Javier Castellano
rode a hose I needed to complete the double. I was with a friend
and watched the race, commenting to him, I got a non effort by
the jock. Days later Jockey Castellano was fined $2500 for
That HONEST EFFORT, and pleaded the same way Donnie did.
So, The steward's have different fines and suspensions
obviously, Guess, IF I am a jock, I rather STIFF IN N.Y. then
delta downs !:rolleyes:

ranchwest
02-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by crackers

I watched the race and there is little doubt that there was not full effort up the lane. I don't have a problem with a suspension.

I do wonder, though, about the length of the suspension and whether there is a problem between Asmussen and DeD.

If this sort of ride is going to draw a 6 month suspension regularly, owners better be doing a world-wide jockey search because there will soon be a shortage of riders.

BillW
02-10-2003, 11:21 AM
The big problem here is the message being sent to the world outside racing. The racing powers that be are discouraging jockeys from paying attention to the health of the horse they are riding, to the extent of punishing the jock with rather severe fines.

So now a jock senses a problem with the horse under him and has to assess whether to stop in the best interest of the horse and risk losing his job or just keep on going and if the horse breaks down ... screw him.

Nice PR.

Bill

ranchwest
02-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Meche gets up more on the neck at the end and the horse closes in the final strides. If the horse was injured, why did he let the horse close late?

LOU M.
02-10-2003, 04:24 PM
With all do respect you keep ignoring the fact that A.it wasn't his call, but that of the trainer.B. your acting like this never happened before. C.races like these shouldn't be allowed to be bet in the first place.D.that every other race in this country is on the up and up.

ranchwest
02-10-2003, 04:47 PM
With all do respect you keep ignoring the fact that A.it wasn't his call, but that of the trainer.B. your acting like this never happened before. C.races like these shouldn't be allowed to be bet in the first place.D.that every other race in this country is on the up and up.

If that is what you drew from my comments, I apologize for not having adequately explained. All of your points are worthy of consideration. In fact, either on this forum or another forum I've stated most of what you've said.

I just think this may have been a 2 day suspension matter, but for some reason it got 6 months.

Tom
02-10-2003, 04:54 PM
I remeber an old track saying when a photo finish occurred:

The stewards will examine their tickets before posting the official order of finish!

LOU M.
02-10-2003, 05:12 PM
I just don't get why you think the jock should be penalized.My point is the jock should not have been suspended at all. I doubt he took it upon himself to just tank the horse.He's one of Assmussens top jocks. Supposedly the trainer wasn't even interviewed.Not that he would have said anything but it does show the stewards were just making an example of it. Don't you think?

cj
02-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Also interesting...why didn't Meche ride the horse back in the final?

CJ

ranchwest
02-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Also interesting...why didn't Meche ride the horse back in the final?

CJ

I hear on advice of counsel.

ranchwest
02-10-2003, 05:47 PM
I just don't get why you think the jock should be penalized.My point is the jock should not have been suspended at all. I doubt he took it upon himself to just tank the horse.He's one of Assmussens top jocks. Supposedly the trainer wasn't even interviewed.Not that he would have said anything but it does show the stewards were just making an example of it. Don't you think?

My problem with the ride is that it looks to me like the horse really got rolling on his own at the end of the race and the jockey wasn't urging him very strongly. If he was hurt, why did he run his best at the end? I think it was a workout up the lane, but I can't be certain.

I said this may have been a two day suspension matter, not that it definitely is, with the primary point being that this is not a six month suspension ride.

I definitely think the stewards were making an example of Meche and maybe the lesson they intended was that he shouldn't have been riding for Asmussen at Delta Downs.

LOU M.
02-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Why didn't the stewards just suspend Assmussen?Obviously you think Meche acted alone on this ,so whatever, have a nice evening.

ranchwest
02-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Why didn't the stewards just suspend Assmussen?Obviously you think Meche acted alone on this ,so whatever, have a nice evening.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. As everyone can attest, I can speak for myself.

The jockey performs in front of everyone; it is easy to analyze what he does. The trainer is not, for the most part, doing his job in public and is therefore more difficult to pin down.

Also, the rules are such that it is easier to pin down the jockey.

While we all know that the jockey typically follows a trainer's instructions, proving what those instructions are is not necessarily easy.

PurplePower
02-10-2003, 09:58 PM
I've known Donnie for a long time as I was training at La Downs when he first showed up with his twin brother and his "bug". He is one of the nicer young men in racing. If the stewards had evidence that Donnie benefitted from an exacta box on the other two horses (or a sizeable WIN bet on the winner), then they should have thrown the tack box at him. On this hand, however, I think they are over reacting - possible to some big gambler or two that planned on killing the golden hen when Donnie's mount won - because Thoroughbred trials in which the top five finishers in each race are going to qualify for the finals should have NEVER been allowed to be parimutuel races. Many times I have seen Jerry Bailey, Pat Day, Chris McCarron et al. "wrap up" on a favored first time starter with impeccable pedigree because that baby "broke in a tangle" or "stumbled leaving the latch" and they weren't sure whether he may have hurt himself or not. I don't remember seeing any of them being put on suspension for even one day much less 180.

For those that think the horse couldn't have grabbed a quarter and come back 16 days later and won, I had a horse grab a quarter on a Tuesday in his final serious gallop before coming back to WIN an 11 furlong grass race on Friday. (With no illegal medication for you skeptics out there - I used an old Marion Van Berg (through Jack) trick and "pickled it with sauerkraut".) Some quarter grabs are like breaking your fingernail about 1/16 inch into quick. Hurts like heck for a day or two but is grown out in three or four and unnoticed. Others are like breaking your nail half way to cuticle. That sucker will be sore for much longer and will effect performance of that finger until nail grows out.

I think the Racing Commission that approved such races and the track management that writes those races should bear proportional cupability. Maybe Donnie should do 30 days, Delta have to drop takeout in half for 30 days and Racing commissioners and Stewards attend a 5 day Pace Advantage "intensive" where they have to listen to the correct way to manage this game (and play a Chinese Double)

JustRalph
02-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Great post purple. Now I know what "grabbing a quarter" is and I agree on betting these races. Its a joke.

rrbauer
02-11-2003, 06:27 AM
Watched it four (4) times. (Same result!) I'm hard pressed to think that the horse could've won the race. Maybe it could've gotten 2nd had the jock gotten after him (hand ride with some scruffing on the neck) more aggressively. Maybe the stewards know more than what the replay reveals (such as some sharpies with a lot of exacta's not using the fav; and, a lot of tri's without the fav in the top-2 slots).

Didn't think much of Chris K's call of the race. He shoulda gotten days for that effort!!

JustRalph
02-11-2003, 04:56 PM
I finally went over and watched the race. He could have won easily if not for the stumble, or maybe make his move earlier. But If meche says he was feeling the horse out after the stumble, Meche got hosed. Then again, we don't know what the pools looked like. Maybe there is something we don't know. They were pretty harsh.

Observer
02-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Maybe there is something we don't know.

There is a lot going on in this game that we don't know, or ever will .. and I'm not saying that in a critical way. I simply mean that there is so much that can effect a horse, that it is simply impossible to know everything, yet too many people, too many times jump right in, without much thought of the possibilities, the numerous possibilities, that could be in play.

It surprises me that so many people seem to be skeptics of this game, yet they still play. Far too often, the players of this game, or even those directly associated in the action of the game, are throwing around accusations as if they are fact, when in fact the truth may not even be known at the time.

I have not seen the race, but I do say that a horse can absolutely grab a quarter and turn around to win in 16 days. And I do believe this is an area the stewards need to be very careful .. as it is, too many riders do not know the proper use of the whip .. we don't need riders feeling like they need to beat more frequently or harder on their horses simply to put on a show of a full effort. Seriously, it amazes me how people think the more a rider whips the horse, the better a horse will run .. when in fact it can work the exact opposite if the rider whips too much or too hard. A horse can only run so fast, no matter how many times he's being hit .. and if a rider feels the horse is already putting forth his best effort, the rider should not go to the whip simply to satisfy the masses .. and if the rider feels the horse is not right, then again, he should not feel he needs to beat on the horse.

I know there are many factors that need protecting in this game .. and I do respect the bettors .. and I know the stewards need to be the watchdog .. but I'd like to believe that if there was something troubling the horse, that Meche did the right thing.

With all that said, six months seems pretty harsh to me. Maybe if Meche had been reprimanded for such riding infractions in the past I could understand a harsh penalty, but to my knowledge, that isn't the case.

Observer
02-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Just to put this in some weird, sick perspective ... the 6-month suspension Meche got is the same amount of time given to the hit and run driver who killed Marjorie Clayton Cordero. In that sense, the suspension is unfair .. but I already felt the jail sentence was unbelievably crazy .. like Angel Cordero said .. the guy is getting away with murder.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Handy Cap
02-12-2003, 01:32 AM
You know what, I am sick and tired of people defending this guy and this act....Please people, use a little sense...if the horse was hurt, he does not finish third with run, and then go on to win the finals....I applaud the stewards on this decision.

I agree the trainer should be subject to questioning and possible punishment as well..

Then there is the argument..."well its not the first time it happened"...so that makes it ok?

I advise anyone that defends Donnie and Asmussen to please step out of the little fantasy world your in.

ranchwest
02-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Handy Cap

Then there is the argument..."well its not the first time it happened"...so that makes it ok?

What I want to know is why this case is different. Why the heavy penalty only in this case?

Handy Cap
02-12-2003, 05:45 PM
I believe this harsh penalty should be evenly distributed among offenders Ranch, no question. I would love to see more of these "harsh suspensions". But giving this issue more thought..I have come to the conclusion that the reality of the matter is this. Things like this do happen. And as handicappers trying to win a buck at the races, we have to adjust. If we do not adjust, we lose. Simple as that. Trainer intention is as much a factor as any pace or speed figure. In a perfect world I guess, every horse in every race is trying to win. The problem is, this world is far from perfect.

Handy (not Andy) Cap

JustRalph
02-18-2003, 12:35 AM
I didn't hear this. He is suspended also for a bad Drug test, on him? I didn't know about this little added bit of info?

The quote below is from the DRF Website. The article is about Meche's lawyer getting a continuance of his hearing in front of the racing commision.

Anybody know what substance it may have been? :confused:

"Fair Grounds stewards issued a ruling against Meche on Jan. 11 for violation of the human drug-testing program. The ruling carries a 30-day suspension, and a commission official said it is this ruling that currently bars Meche from riding. "

crackers@NOLA
02-18-2003, 07:23 AM
According to DRF article the Fr Gr's stewards suspended him Jan. 11 for DRUG violations. How was he able to even continue to ride? In my old job if you flunked a drug test you were out.

andicap
02-18-2003, 10:59 AM
My guess he was able to keep riding while the ruling was appealed. That's his right under our system.

BillW
02-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Another guess ... stakes races are exempt from suspensions in some jurisdictions.

Bill

crackers@NOLA
02-18-2003, 12:25 PM
He didn't ride in the stake, just the trial.

PMANN1
02-18-2003, 01:55 PM
It's always interesting to see the correlation in a riders decreased win percentage before a drug or related issue comes up. The trainers know about it first and eventually we may find out about it. Who's to say drug habits don't coincide with favors to people who want to cash a bet now or in the future.

JustRalph
02-21-2003, 08:01 AM
ESPN is reporting that Meche was allowed back riding due to an injunction from a judge who is reviewing the case. He will be back today. The state racing commision has yet to set a date on his hearing.

http://espn.go.com/horse/news/2003/0220/1511740.html

andicap
02-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Innocent until proven guilty. That's the American way. He can always serve his time, but if it turns out he's NOT guilty, you can't return the time he lost being suspended to him.

Remember, people who are accused of crimes and incarsarated on bail are being held to keep them from fleeing, not as a form of punishment. They haven't been convicted of anything yet. Same as Meche.

Don't hang the guy until he has due process.

PurplePower
02-21-2003, 11:54 AM
My son (Brett, assistant trainer at FG) is a friend of Donnie's and told me last weekend that Donnie failed drug screen for amphetamines. Brett was interviewed regarding the ride and asked if DM had said anything about not betting his horse in the exacta in the trial. B told me that DM had just said he was going to DeD to ride and wasn't looking forward to the trip over to ride late that night and then back for works the next morning. Innuendo is a tough lady to go on a date with. Story she tells the next day may or may not be what actually happened. If Ded stewards have evidence that DM profited from wagering on the race - then they may not have been harsh enough. If they don't, then all DM's lawyer has to do is get video tapes of any two or three nights of racing and have half a dozen examples of riders "appearing" to not give their "best effort" to win - and those riders received not even a phone call.
As I said in earlier post, I know DM personally and I like him. If he "knew" his horse was going to finish out of top three and profited from that knowledge then he can do his time. I hope the TB industry will take a lesson and either quit having TB time trials in which some number of horses move on to finals from each trial, or make those trials non-wagering events. In any regard, I hope Donnie and ALL other riders pay more attention to the importance of "perception" and honest effort.

Tom
02-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Don't roders have the right to appeal and then continue to ride until a hearing? I know this used to be the case - a rider would appeal in order to ride a big race, then serve the time later, at a more convieninet time.
Tom

JustRalph
05-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Donnie got hammered with another six months. Over on the Hottalkers board a member over there has posted a note saying the FBI is investigating Meche and Assman. Yowser! See the info below from ESPN site.

Wednesday, April 30

Donnie Meche suspended a year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Marcus Hersh
Daily Racing Form

The Louisiana Racing Commission decided Tuesday to increase the suspension to jockey Donnie Meche from six months to a year, according to a state racing official.

Delta Downs stewards handed Meche a six-month suspension last winter for failing to do his best to win a race. On Tuesday, the commission upheld the stewards' ruling and tacked on an additional six months during a three-hour hearing in New Orleans, said the official, who asked not to be named. Meche and his attorney, Sonny Garcia, said they would appeal the suspension in district court.

"I wouldn't ride the race any differently if I had to do it again today," Meche said Tuesday. "There's no reason they should have given me a year with all the evidence we had that this horse grabbed a quarter."

On Jan. 23, Meche rode Cleaning House, a 3-5 favorite, in a trial race for the Graduation Futurity but finished third, beaten almost three lengths. Cleaning House qualified for the Graduation final, which he later won by a nose. On Feb. 8, stewards at Delta suspended Meche for six months, the maximum penalty they could assess, and referred the case to the commission. On Tuesday, the commission heard testimony from a Delta steward and Meche, who has contended that Cleaning House grabbed a quarter, injuring his hoof when he stumbled out of the gate. Meche said he rode carefully to protect Cleaning House. Meche and Asmussen contend that a state veterinarian confirmed the minor injury.