PDA

View Full Version : WRONG SCORE ANNOUNCED IN UCLA GAME

rrbauer
03-24-2008, 08:29 AM
UCLA played Texas A&M the other day and the final score was 53-49. The bookies paid off on that basis (have no idea what the side/total lines were).
Now it's being reported (AP) that the score was 51-49 and that there was a "miscommunication" between the officials and the scoring table. (Something that never happens :lol: ).

Some of these folks must do double duty as stewards at racetracks!

Bubbles
03-24-2008, 09:18 AM
This year's NCAA tournament has been marred by people at the tables not doing their jobs that well. I forget which game, maybe Clemson-Villanova, but the clock was wrong THREE TIMES in the final MINUTE of play.

You'd think they'd trot out the best the have for games like these. If they did, I'd hate to see what would happen if they decide to let these guys work the final four.

Dave Schwartz
03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
At one of the games I watched, the announcers said that the issue was that the officials were hard to hear because of the crowd.

One would think that with technology as it is today, the floor officials should be able to start/stop the clock remotely. Kind of reminds one of the old flag man technology at the track.

rrbauer
03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
At one of the games I watched, the announcers said that the issue was that the officials were hard to hear because of the crowd.

One would think that with technology as it is today, the floor officials should be able to start/stop the clock remotely. Kind of reminds one of the old flag man technology at the track.

So is it the flag that's old; or, the man that's old; or, the technology that's old? :)

cj
03-24-2008, 12:19 PM

This is confusing, because the officials do start and stop the clock remotely. They use a device that works in conjunction with the sound of the whistle. However, the timekeeper also has the power to stop/start the clock.

Pace Cap'n
03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Now I'm no expert on this type of betting, but as I understand from what I have read...

The second-half line was UCLA -7. If the dunk counted, it's UCLA by seven. Many books refused to count the bucket, which ticked off lots of bettors. Since the 53-49 score was listed on the official NCAA website, some books changed to match. Now it's not being counted. I would hate to be an offshore book right now. Or one of their clients.

rrbauer
03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
You mean to tell me that they used REPLAY to determine if the shot should count, or not?

ranchwest
03-28-2008, 01:58 AM
I watched the game. That last shot was definitely late, no doubt about it. I was amazed that they put the points on the board. And, no, I don't bet basketball.

Marlin
03-29-2008, 04:39 PM
No question the dunk was after the clock expired.