PDA

View Full Version : It's new machine time

kitts
03-23-2008, 02:09 PM
My needs for a computer are not too demanding. Do horserace software and now and then a MSWord or Excel file. E-Mail and some newsgroups browsing. Bill paying and Quicken. Not a gamer at all. I want my new machine to be able to do anything with a DVD-record, play or copy. I think I am OK with the new Intel Dual Core with 3GB memory and a 250GB hard drive. I notice Dell is now including Windows XP as the OS which is fine by me. I also will upgrade my monitor to 22" from 17". My quote from Dell was $1099. Any thoughts?

headhawg
03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Sounds like more than enough for what you need. XP is a better choice right now than Vista so you're good there. You need is a DVD burner to do what you want, but I'm not sure what you mean by record. (Do you mean like a DVR?) However, be advised that if you want to make "backups" of your purchased (protected) DVDs you will not be able to do that without some trickery no matter what computer you get. If you need to do dual-layer burning make sure that you get that kind of burner with your new computer.

facorsig
03-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I just paid $1300 for quadcore based machine with 4Gb RAM, 500 Gb HDD, CD/DVD R/W, heavy duty case, and 19" monitor. All loaded with XP, Office and other software. The Dell price sounds high. Also, with machines from Dell et al you'll get a lot of other pre-loaded software you don't want/need which acts to slow your machine down. Go for white box.

Fred

kitts
03-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the help, folks. FYI, the Dell I was looking at did not have any software installed, although they offered to do so for me. I Googled "Vista Sucks" and I am definitely not ready for Vista