PDA

View Full Version : Why Was Spitzer Assasinated?

JustMissed
03-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Eliot Spitzer wrote an editoral that appeared in the Washing Post 2/14/2008. I snipped the following from that editoral which can be read in full at washingtonpost.com.

Wonder why the MSM failed to report this?

[Quote]
Several years ago, state attorneys general and others involved in consumer protection began to notice a marked increase in a range of predatory lending practices by mortgage lenders. Some were misrepresenting the terms of loans, making loans without regard to consumers' ability to repay, making loans with deceptive "teaser" rates that later ballooned astronomically, packing loans with undisclosed charges and fees, or even paying illegal kickbacks. These and other practices, we noticed, were having a devastating effect on home buyers. In addition, the widespread nature of these practices, if left unchecked, threatened our financial markets.

Even though predatory lending was becoming a national problem, the Bush administration looked the other way and did nothing to protect American homeowners. In fact, the government chose instead to align itself with the banks that were victimizing consumers.

snipped

What did the Bush administration do in response? Did it reverse course and decide to take action to halt this burgeoning scourge? As Americans are now painfully aware, with hundreds of thousands of homeowners facing foreclosure and our markets reeling, the answer is a resounding no.

Not only did the Bush administration do nothing to protect consumers, it embarked on an aggressive and unprecedented campaign to prevent states from protecting their residents from the very problems to which the federal government was turning a blind eye.

snipped

In 2003, during the height of the predatory lending crisis, the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks. The federal government's actions were so egregious and so unprecedented that all 50 state attorneys general, and all 50 state banking superintendents, actively fought the new rules.

snipped

But the unanimous opposition of the 50 states did not deter, or even slow, the Bush administration in its goal of protecting the banks. In fact, when my office opened an investigation of possible discrimination in mortgage lending by a number of banks, the OCC filed a federal lawsuit to stop the investigation.

snipped

The writer is governor of New York.[End Quote]

JM

dylbert
03-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Interesting find there. Sounds as though J. Edgar Hoover is still leading FBI and wearing his best dress and pearls as well.

Gov. Spitzer kept knocking heads with Feds. Bad choice. Feds have more tools and "toys" to undo someone who creates public problems. Spitzer should have taken page from former Governors' of Arkansas and Louisiana playbook. Have all of your arrangements handled by your "handlers" -- loyal staff, supporters, and state police.

Of those former governors are Clinton (Arkansas) now pimping his wife for president and federal prisoner, Edwin W. Edwards. My favorite EWE quote is, "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy".

JustRalph
03-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Standard Law of the jungle.......routine if you ask me.

If you are going to swing a big stick......make sure you have no vulnerabilities. He had a huge one.............and thought it would never come out. yeah, right..............if you want to run with the big dogs.......... :ThmbUp:

ljb
03-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Like i said earlier, now we know why the bush administration wants to protect the telecoms.

JustMissed
03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
McCain=Keating Five+Lincoln S&L Failure

Neil Bush=Silverado S&L Failure

Reagan=Deregulation of S&Ls

Bush41=Resolution Trust Corporation(Taxpayer bailout of failed S&Ls)

Bush43=Predatory Lending+Sub-prime mortgage debacle

Bush43=Taxpayer bailout of housing debacle

McCain=Tapped to carryon fraud against taxpayers

JM

Tom
03-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Clinton = growth of Al Qeda
Carter = Misery index, double digit inflation, 444 days of hostages

Tom
03-23-2008, 06:42 PM
ljb, do you have a clue what you are talking about, or just more sound bytes?
Amazing how you totally ignore facts in post after post.
DNC must be proud of thier good little soldier.

Dave Schwartz
03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Spitzer was not assassinated. He committed (political) suicide.

ljb
03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
ljb, do you have a clue what you are talking about, or just more sound bytes?
Amazing how you totally ignore facts in post after post.
DNC must be proud of thier good little soldier.
Tommy,
The Republican Preznint G.W. Bush refuses to sign the fisa bill. Putting Americans at risk. He wont sign because it does not supply protection to telecoms for their wire tapping mis-deeds. Spitzeer was going after some big wigs in the banking industry. Spitzer was caught via a wire tap. And this is just what we know now. Imagine what else Bushco is covering up. Actually Bushco does not really care about the telecoms, they are trying to protect their own asses. Think about it Tom, I know you are bright enough to figure this out.

Tom
03-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Spitzer was not caught in a terror-based wire tap - he was caught in a normal investigation. Bush has nothing to do with his demise - it was just good old fashioned immorality that brought him down - but tryingto spin this into a Bush probelms shows you're still as biased as ever. Thank you for being consistent. Creditbility meter down antoher point.

dylbert
03-23-2008, 10:21 PM
ljb jeez... Spitzer fell on his own sword. Pun intended. He didn't require any assistance in creating his own demise. Yes, he got caught in federal investigation; however, he was not targeted. Spitzer violated laws without any specific instructions from President Bush or other authority.

A wise person told me as youngster, "don't let your little head do the thinking for the big head." Whenever one imagines that he is above the law, he will ultimately be undone.

Look on the bright side, if Clinton or Obama wins election, their first official act can be presidential pardon for Mr. Spitzer.

JustRalph
03-23-2008, 11:28 PM
FISA, Spitzer's wire tap? Wow! You sure know how to reach

GaryG
03-24-2008, 11:31 AM
This is one of the most pointless threads ever posted here. This guy stepped on his meat.....no help from Bush. Looks like the horseman have a new recruit. President B Hussein will fix everything though.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

OTM Al
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
No help from Bush likely, but there was some party oriented help to be sure

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/465701.html

He gave them that gift though through his own stupidity

JustRalph
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
He gave them that gift though through his own stupidity

Just Like WIllie..............

OTM Al
03-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, but he was 100x the politician than Spitzer. Even if you don't like him you have to give him that.

Indulto
03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah, but he was 100x the politician than Spitzer. Even if you don't like him you have to give him that.There's the problem ... Willie would accept whatever was given. ;)

ljb
03-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Spitzer was not caught in a terror-based wire tap - he was caught in a normal investigation. Bush has nothing to do with his demise - it was just good old fashioned immorality that brought him down - but tryingto spin this into a Bush probelms shows you're still as biased as ever. Thank you for being consistent. Creditbility meter down antoher point.
That's exactly what Bushco wants you to believe. You are a good foot soldier for the neocons Tom and as a reward your insurance premiums will go up next month. :lol:

Tom
03-25-2008, 07:49 AM
ljb, you have any evidence to support your fantasy? You libs never seem to have anyting to back up your wild claims. Your old startegy is just throw any lies out there and hope they stick for some people.
Here;s where your lie gets exposed - they are going to use it as evidence and couldn't without the warrant that they do have.

ljb
03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
ljb, you have any evidence to support your fantasy? You libs never seem to have anyting to back up your wild claims. Your old startegy is just throw any lies out there and hope they stick for some people.
Here;s where your lie gets exposed - they are going to use it as evidence and couldn't without the warrant that they do have.
The evidence is being held up by Bush's telecom immunity ploy.

rastajenk
03-25-2008, 08:25 AM
How convenient.

Tom
03-25-2008, 09:49 AM
That guy alergic to credibility. :lol:

Greyfox
03-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Is there a double standard here?

In the last few days NY Gov. David Paterson has admitted:

1. his wife and him were adulterers.
2. he has used cocaine and marijuana.

Is the public being more tolerant because he's black? Or are they being more tolerant because he's blind? Or is the public really being more tolerant? (I sense they are.) What's next murder?

PaceAdvantage
03-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Is there a double standard here?

In the last few days NY Gov. David Paterson has admitted:

1. his wife and him were adulterers.
2. he has used cocaine and marijuana.

Is the public being more tolerant because he's black? Or are they being more tolerant because he's blind? Or is the public really being more tolerant? (I sense they are.) What's next murder?Excellent point, and one that should be hammered home, much like IT WOULD BE if Patterson were a Republican.

But then again, off-topic is DOMINATED by the left, so they don't post much about this kind of stuff when the big (D) sits to the left of the name.

If Patterson were a Republican, there would be about 10 threads asking why this guy hasn't resigned yet....

It's embarrassing to be from the great state of New York these days. Spitzer, Clinton, Patterson.....what's next?

Lefty
03-26-2008, 01:31 AM
lj, what are you saying? That criminals, if dems, should be able to get away with it?

hcap
03-26-2008, 08:02 AM
PABut then again, off-topic is DOMINATED by the left, so they don't post much about this kind of stuff when the big (D) sits to the left of the name.There ya go again. Nonsense.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
PAThere ya go again. Nonsense.What nonsense? If Patterson were a Republican, you guys would be hammering it home that he hasn't resigned yet....that he is a shining example of so called "Republican Moral Values" and all the other selective stuff you post whenever a Republican steps in it....

But because he's a Democrat, and the Republican Joe Bruno is next in line to be Governor should Patterson go bye-bye, you guys have clammed up and are hoping it will all blow over....

At least Tom brings the hammer down on Bush whenever he thinks Bush screws up....you guys NEVER drive into one of your own....

Tom
03-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Look at the left-wing uproar over Larry Craig, while he was not stelaing mney from the taxpayers and lying under oath. Not a peep about the NY Perverts who happen to be dems.

BTW, Rudy is ready to run for Gov is we have a special election in NY.
We should - Patteson must go.

jballscalls
03-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Look at the left-wing uproar over Larry Craig, while he was not stelaing mney from the taxpayers and lying under oath. Not a peep about the NY Perverts who happen to be dems.

BTW, Rudy is ready to run for Gov is we have a special election in NY.
We should - Patteson must go.

this Patterson is a joke!! but he's a dream for all the late night comedians, just like Bushy and Clinton have been.

Larry Craig was the guy bj'ing in the toilet rooms right?? no different from spitzer really, spitzer likes hookers while he keeps his black socks on, craig likes dudes. You would think guys like these 2 and clinton would just keep their junk in their pants until they are atleast out of office??

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Larry Craig was the guy bj'ing in the toilet rooms right??No sir. His terrible sin was that he was caught tapping his foot...or something like that....:lol:

hcap
03-29-2008, 05:35 AM
PA But then again, off-topic is DOMINATED by the left,The off-topic is not Dominated by the left.

Indulto
03-29-2008, 06:35 AM
The off-topic is not Dominated by the left.I have to disagree with you, hcap. When it comes to making sense, the left dominates off-topic completely. :lol:

However, the right does have a decided edge in name-calling. :(

hcap
03-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Here are the last 2 pages of off-topic posts
Seems like an equal representation of right and left thread starters-if not a slight predominance of righties

Why Was Spitzer Assasinated?
JustMissed

John McCains age doesn't matter
porchy44

Home prices fall 11.4 percent
ljb

Iraq again
hcap

OMG-This is Horrible!
JustMissed

Movie Review: "21" excellent
Dave Schwartz

70% of Americans Believe the US is in recession
delayjf

America Racist?
Lefty

Ca. Summer Electric Savings
Hosshead

Existing Home Sales Rise 2.9% Jan-Feb
PaceAdvantage

Michelle Obama.....America....the ignorant
JustRalph

"God Damn America"
JustMissed

Happy Day Mountain Man
JustRalph

NOT GOOD NEWS FOR MCCAIN!
JustMissed

Hillary is out of money.....damn shame
JustRalph

bet on mccain
lamboguy

Fishbelly-bill
skate

The One Worded Thread
bigmack

Pack it in ALGORE because...
Lefty

Top 10 of the Lowest Left
bigmack

Phil Hellmuth
DJofSD

RIP
Tom

The LA Times Fact Checking? You gotta read this
JustRalph

Out of control Government. NY and more.
JustRalph

What's the deal with Obama's church?
dav4463

jballscalls
03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
I have to disagree with you, hcap. When it comes to making sense, the left dominates off-topic completely. :lol:

However, the right does have a decided edge in name-calling. :(

I cant believe that someone said the left dominates the off topic. most of the threads that are started are somehow tied to "how dumb the left are"

both sides make their share of sense and nonsense back here. however, it is annoying when the name calling starts.

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2008, 02:04 AM
I cant believe that someone said the left dominates the off topic. most of the threads that are started are somehow tied to "how dumb the left are"Are you serious? I just did a quick tally of the last 100 threads in off topic, and the political ones were split right down the middle.....23 from the left, and 23 from the right, according to my count.

So, for the last 100, no one side dominated.

On a sidenote, if it wasn't for JustRalph, the left would have clearly dominated the political discussion in terms of threads started....good work JR! :lol:

Historically, the left here on off-topic has dominated, as they are the ones constantly complaining how badly America sucks at the moment...

JustRalph
03-30-2008, 03:18 AM
On a sidenote, if it wasn't for JustRalph, the left would have clearly dominated the political discussion in terms of threads started....good work JR! :lol:

I don't know if that is good or bad. I usually try to keep a tit for tat kind of thing going. I am a news junkie and sometimes the news is exactly opposite of some of the threads I read here. So I strive for equal time..........

One of these days I am going to get a job.......... :bang:

Tom
03-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Fair and balanced.

OTM Al
03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
....just wish we had the Simpsons and Family Guy on after the news! :)

hcap
03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
PAAre you serious? I just did a quick tally of the last 100 threads in off topic, and the political ones were split right down the middle.....23 from the left, and 23 from the right, according to my count.

So, for the last 100, no one side dominated.

On a sidenote, if it wasn't for JustRalph, the left would have clearly dominated the political discussion in terms of threads started....good work JR!

Historically, the left here on off-topic has dominated, as they are the ones constantly complaining how badly America sucks at the moment...Say boss, you realize with all the new threads you have started recently, you are tilting the balance WAY WAY to the right! Proving my point that the Left does not dominate :lol:

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2008, 11:44 PM
PASay boss, you realize with all the new threads you have started recently, you are tilting the balance WAY WAY to the right! Proving my point that the Left does not dominate :lol:It's been my goal to even things out....JustRalph can't do it all by himself.