PDA

View Full Version : 23Mar08SA *** Selections ***

SRK
03-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Santa Anita, Easter Sunday, March 23, 2008

Race 1

A lot of the entrants are switching surface, distance, trainer and/or jocks for this 7 furlong test for older filly and mare $32K claimers. How do you computer handicappers program all that into your machine? My very personal computer (aka my brain) points me towards Lupita’sluckyangel (5). She appears to be in decent form right now, and has won at the distance, at this track, and on the AW. Not a sure thing, but at 8-1 on the M/L, she’s worth the risk. Speaking of risk, you certainly are taking one betting against the M/L favorite Miss Connie Sue (3). She’s won 3 of 5 at this distance, has won on the AW, in fact she’s won nine races in her lifetime. Plus you get a new trainer (Hollendorfer) and jock (Gomez). A lot to like, but I’m guessing she’ll be over bet. No Ka Oi (6) goes first out for Carava. Finished second at this level in her last, despite traffic woes in the stretch, and could easily hit the board again.

Race 2

Shouldn’t this race have been carded as the opener? Ten maiden claimers plodding 6 furlongs while the patrons get settled into their seats? Many look to contest for the lead and that will benefit American Symphony (6). She’s the 5/2 morning line favorite, and has already lost twice at this level, but today may be her day, as she appears to own the most potent late kick. Yesterday was Garrett Gomez’ day, and today he saddles Malabar Star (7) in this. Don’t think you’ll get the 10-1 morning line, but the two bullet works for new trainer Leonard Powell do grab anyone’s attention. Shaghticoke Hill (10) should pass many in the stretch and clunk up for a placing. Riff (2) appears to be the speed of the speed, and should carry it longer second off the layoff.

Race 3

A compact and pretty decent group are entered for this one. Is anyone going to be brave enough to keep Native Success (2) company on the lead? If not, he’s probably gone. Frankel and Gomez will try to keep Mi Arcobaleno (4) within striking distance. Mr Napper Tandy (6) is the obvious class of the field. He’s proven he can run well on the AW, back in his native GB, but appears to be at the mercy of those who will be turning for home before he does.

Race 4

Amybelle (2) appears to have grown up since last seen routing over the lawn. She was overmatched in both of those races, and sports a very nice comebacker going 7F over the AW. Smith gets a good post, and if she is able to save ground and rate just off the other expected front runners, she can post a mild upset here. Everything will have to go perfect for morning line fave Lovely Olivia (3) to take this one down. She has the right come-from-behind style, but she’s missed in 8 of her first 9, so let’s make her a vulnerable favorite on the win end. A number of these could complete your exotics. Nicole’s Image (6) finished just behind Olivia in her first try routing and on the turf, and certainly deserves another chance. (Note: the turf course was listed as good that day). The outside post is going to hurt Stingoftruth (7), who is in decent shape, ran a better than looked second in her last, and has shown she can route over the lawn. Still, I’d put her on your tickets. Finally, Point Proven (4) is nicely bred, and just might make the big jump from Maiden Claiming to hit the board here.

Race 5 and 6

Easter Sunday – going to pass.

Race 7

Did you draw a line through any of these as you went thru the field the first time? I couldn’t. This is a wide open race, and amost any of the nine could possibly win this. Another thing I noticed is that the pace doesn’t look to be especially hot. That will help Kris’ Sis (7), who will take some beating on the front end. She needed her last, where she went 4W on the turn, and still finished just a length behind the top two morning line favorites Black Mamba (2) and Costume (6). I could see any of these three winning this, along with Lavender Sky (1) who has won both times she has drawn the golden rail. Last but not least, both Colina Verde (5) and Immortelle (8) are two hot Brazilian babes who can make an impact in their second start stateside.

Races 8 and 9

Happy Easter.

juanepstein
03-23-2008, 03:13 PM
nice looking first half of the card. see some that can possibly blow up some horizontal exotics.

1st- #2 key rose

2nd- #3 island lightning
.........#8 crosswalk
........#9 go cardinal go...my bud is chantels agent and hess jr. is his best friend.

3rd- #1 omg
.......#5 by spot.......lobo getting hot!

4th- #9 bellsblade....would really have to look her over on the track. campos/miyadi san fransisco connection. miyadi is the shiznitty on the turf up north.

5th- #2 kilmartin hall
.......#6 katispsublue

6th- #2 sin city glow...looks like he was ready to go but the track went to craappers. hofmans won a couple yesterday. watchout for the theft.

#4 and #5 just might try to roll this one up in front also. no doubt the #5.

9th- #2 change tack...cassidy warming up. m. smith not entered in race.
.......#5 slamthedoor.....mig riding for kenny black. k. black not known for his turf ability but if he gets the mig it could cause concern. kenny puts one out every two months it seems like.
......#9 pure refinement-- campos/lewis j/t combo getting ready to roll on this in excess filly.