PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita synthetic question ( A New One )

Si2see
03-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I am sitting here on my laptop looking at the drf for santa anita today ( easter sunday ) and in race 3, the 4 horse MI ARCOBALENO (GB) ran 2nd beaten 2 1/2 lengths on Feb 24th 1 mile and a sixteenth in 1.45:2, where as on Jan 12th he ran the same distance and won by 3/4 of a length in 1.40:3.
Now I understand these are when they were having all of the drainage problems and the lightning fast times. But here is my question. If a lot of the big names who are in california for speed, and have based there whole operations on breeding , buying, and training for speed, why hasn't anybody suggested the track be made fast like it was in the middle of jan ? Obviousley they know how to do it, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall anymore breakdowns in that period of time, than in any other. Anybody have any input?

Lefty
03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
SA will be changing this trk again after this meeting. They even have the option to go bk to dirt. So itwill prob be Tapeta or dirt.

Si2see
03-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks Lefty, I am aware of the option and talk about which way to go, but that is kind of why I brought up this point. They have already spent millions on the track they have. Why not make it work for the way they want it to?

Lefty
03-23-2008, 11:45 AM
That's because they can't. When it was running fast in Jan, the elements that made that possible also caused 11 days of cancellation because it wouldn't drain. They now have a combo of Cushion and the Australion trk called Pro Rider or something like that. They are going to try something else and my guess is Tapeta or Dirt, and i weigh my bet in favor of dirt.

Robert Fischer
03-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I made more money off of the early track because people were still betting horses with no chance like Tiago @ LOW odds, or Diamond Stripes, as opposed to now after the bias changed and you oppose horses with no chance like Monteray Jazz at like 3-1 or something. However, the aesthetics and quality since February are an upgrade over the speed-track IMO. They moved from bush-league to minor league. Would be great to see dirt back at the major tracks and bring back some of the big west coast races.