PDA

View Full Version : Scratched by Stewards

Norm
03-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I always check the scratch board before beginning to handicap a card with an eye open to see the reasons given for the scratches. Most often you see "scratched by trainer" or the eyebrow-raising "scratched by vet" which are both easily understood. But, sometimes it says "scratched by Stewards". Am I correct in presuming that this means the horse was entered by a trainer who didn't quite understand the 'Conditions' and the horse was not really eligible ? Or, is this the result of bad behavior at the gate?. . . or is there some other, more nefarious, explanation ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

bigmack
03-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I've learned that stewards scratches can include odd things like, owner/trainer not licensed, foal papers not on file, wrong shoes, ownership disputes, late to paddock, late shipping, etc.

stu
03-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Other scratched by steward reasons that I have seen:

- wrong horse brought to the paddock
- no jockeys left in the room to replace an injured rider
- horse got loose and ran too far to put back in the gate
- trainer suspended that morning after a random barn search
- horse 'freezes' on the track and can't get to the gate
- horse refuses to load in the gate
- wrong horse scratched by miscommunication with track vet
- violation of the toe grab shoe rule

Surprisingly, the last is the number one reason for steward scratches this meet at Sunland Park. The rule has been in effect since the summer and published since last spring. However, several trainers have brought horses to the paddock with grabs longer than a quarter of an inch.

Marlin
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Some others I've seen....

Horse not having mandatory work since last start, or being cleared off lists...(starters, bleeders, vet)

Horse not carrying weight to the gate

Horse leaving track at any point before race

Horse being given win via post race DQ between time of entry and race therefore ineligible