PDA

View Full Version : Magna Pick 5

PaceAdvantage
03-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Since they cancelled the remainder of the Gulfstream card, they announced at first that the Magna Pick 5 would resort to a Pick 3 (at least Tom Durkin announced this at Aqueduct)....he then came on about 15 minutes later and announced they were refunding ALL Magna Pick 5 tickets.....

Can you say "Stooper's Dream Come True?"

Did Gulfstream actually change their minds like this, or was this a NYRA miscue?

Durkin's words were "THEY have now decided to refund...," which certainly implies it was the Magna Pick 5 folks who changed their minds....which is pretty unconscionable considering all the folks that threw away their tickets.

InsideThePylons-MW
03-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Magna Morons

SA announced it was canceled but website said "Magna 5 will continue!" for at least 10-15 minutes after that with this disclaimer......"PLEASE NOTE:
**No $500,000 Guarantee due
to the Gulfstream Cancellation**"

singletax
03-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I happen to have won on the three remaining races of the Magna 5 that were not cancelled. I went to the Magna 5 web site and found the rules saying three races (contests), if completed, qualify for a pay out. Magna 5's own rules say there should be a pay out for three races yet now they are saying
we changed our minds. Do they have the option up to the first post at Laurel
to do what they want? I put my bets in early @2:20 Est on my break from work.

rufus999
03-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Gulfstream cancelled a good half hour before the first at Laurel. An announcement was made well in advance. I got a refund.

rufus

rrbauer
03-23-2008, 10:50 AM
These multiple-track serial wagers force you to bet tracks that you're not interested in; force you to bet race types that you're not interested (read: not good at) in; and, expose you to a variety of racetrack surfaces and conditions. There may be a value plus if the wagering doesn't reach the guaranteed pool amount, but that's rarely the case. And, last I looked (and maybe this has changed) the Magna bet is a $2 minimum per combination.

Enlighten me.

rufus999
03-23-2008, 11:02 AM
These multiple-track serial wagers force you to bet tracks that you're not interested in; force you to bet race types that you're not interested (read: not good at) in; and, expose you to a variety of racetrack surfaces and conditions. There may be a value plus if the wagering doesn't reach the guaranteed pool amount, but that's rarely the case. And, last I looked (and maybe this has changed) the Magna bet is a $2 minimum per combination.

Enlighten me.

If magna five catered to the preferences of the betting public, the wager would be a losing business proposition for the sponsors.

rufus

alhattab
03-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I was watching both the GP and SA feeds on my computer. Collmus said Magna 5 was a "Magna 3" due to the GP cancellations. About 5 minutes later Denman said bet was cancelled. At that point I shut down the GP feed b/c it was cancelled.

Amazing.

Can't this game do anything RIGHT?

Niko
03-23-2008, 10:10 PM
They did the right thing. When they said it was changed to a pick 3 I about laughed my ass off at the stupidy of the whole thing. I was glad I didn't play it.

PaceAdvantage
03-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Once again, the fan is shafted. Did these Magna folks even think for one second the number of folks who threw their tickets away once they learned it was a pick 3? Then minutes later, it is announced ALL bets will be refunded?

Wow. But why be surprised?

cj
03-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Can't MAGNA do anything RIGHT?

FTFY. :)

jma
03-24-2008, 07:30 AM

Enlighten me.

They figure if you get the Laurel past performances, the Gulfstream past performances, etc., that you might bet some of the other races there other than the ones in the Magna 5. Obviously this is not working, but I imagine that's the idea, to get more people betting the full cards at their tracks.

saratoga guy
03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Once again, the fan is shafted. Did these Magna folks even think for one second the number of folks who threw their tickets away once they learned it was a pick 3? Then minutes later, it is announced ALL bets will be refunded?

Wow. But why be surprised?

But weren't both announcements ['now a P3'... 'now canceled'] made BEFORE the first leg?

saratoga guy
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Enlighten me.

Clearly no one is being "forced" to play the wager.

But one positive aspect of the Magna5 in particular -- and what makes it dependent on different venues -- is that the whole thing gets underway and is wrapped up within an hour.

PaceAdvantage
03-25-2008, 12:46 AM
But weren't both announcements ['now a P3'... 'now canceled'] made BEFORE the first leg?Well, then, this clearly shows that people like me who don't actually play the Magna Pick 5 ought to keep their big yaps shut when things like this happen....

Good thing I have the ability to remove embarrassing threads....

And why the hell didn't anyone say anything sooner? You guys don't like me....do you?

As Emily Latella once said....

"Never mind...."

Tom
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
You were just enjoying a senior moment.
Get used to them......gramps! :lol::lol::lol: