PDA

View Full Version : 22Mar08SA *** Selections ***

SRK
03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Race 1

As opposed to the usual cheapos that usually open the card, we have an interesting group of older female claimers face off going down the hill. First question to ask yourself – do you think the speed will hold up, or will the come-from-behinders be first under the wire? I’m going to go with the late runners, as only about 20% of these races are won gate to wire, and going thru the results charts, its been over two weeks since a horse fighting for the early lead has held on to win. Mama Lula (6) won her last, defeating many of these in the process. She did that breaking from the poor rail, which she will not have to do today. Not a sure thing to repeat, but she looks like she could once again have things go her way. Sportie’s Squeeze (3) appears to be the most accomplished closer of the group, and in her last, blew past all but the top choice in the stretch. The one to fear most. Mark Set Go (7), who is third off the bench for Mike Mitchell, and sports a very productive route in her last. The contention does not stop there. Lucera (8) whose true form was darkened in her last, and a sharp work since, has both the style and the ability to be a late arrival on the board to spice up your exotics. Categorize (4) is a versatile runner, that can be placed where she needs to be. She just missed in her last when facing many of these.

Race 2

Ron Ellis stretches out Distinctive Afleet (6) after he just missed at this level in his last. I’m not sure anyone else wants to, or will be able to, stay with him early, or late. Morning line favorite Silver Dust (2) returns to the AW after going longer on the turf. That is a winning move for underrated trainer Jorge Periban. Drops in class and figures for a slice, at the very least. Power Station (7) is back in less than a week and looks to be an interesting long shot. He gets a better post today, and another step forward puts him in the thick of things.

SRK
03-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Race 3

Tenga Cat (3) was just a little short in his last, meaning he came up short in a 4-way blanket finish. He was also short in that he needed that race, coming off the bench after a 6 month layoff. Sports a bullet work since, and doesn’t meet any other fireballs here. Night Chapter (3) had plenty of trouble in his last, when Tenga Cat beat him by a length. If someone pushes the Cat early, it is very easy to see Night Chapter turning the tables today. Gomez clicked in the first with a comebacker going down the hill, and the third race could also be a Charmo (2). He is the past class of the race, and if this is not just a warm-up for better things to come, this could be another win, in a big day for Gomez.

SRK
03-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Race 4

Not much to look at here. Neither those who have raced nor the first timers look appealing, so we’ll be looking for the lesser of evils here. Song of Illinois (4) looks like she can stay close early, and wear them down in the lane. Colony Trick (9) improved a bunch in her last, and if she can do it again, figures with these. Vicki’s Mandate (3) appears to be the first timer who can make an impact. No bet’s for me. I’ll pass.

Tee
03-22-2008, 04:30 PM
#6 Marvel Wood could just fall into things here.

Nope!!

SRK
03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
What's up, Tee?
How they treating you?
I'm off to a slow start, myself.

Tee
03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Been a while since I looked at the pp's - & it shows!! :)

Will warm up(I hope) before todays 10 race card is over.

Tee
03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Let's see what #6 Jump Ball has to offer in her 2nd lifetime start.

Not much!! :)

SRK
03-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Race 5

Itsnotjustagame (2) shows a steady worktab while being freshened, gets a nice post, and should be prominently placed throughout. The cutback to a flat mile also helps. Catastaire (9) will also do better at this distance. Throw out his last on the AW, and expect to see him picking off quite a few in the lane. Great Siege (4) gets off the rail, and should move forward. Home for Harlan (6) could surprise in his turf debut. Put him on your tickets. Cavanal (11) is compromised by the outside post, but still merits a mention in your exotics. Finally, Shem Tov (5) fell off my horses to watch list. He has a spotty work pattern since last raced. Caution suggested in the win pool on this vulnerable favorite.

Tee
03-22-2008, 05:34 PM
#9 Catastaire

Getting warmer :lol:

SRK
03-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Race 6

Secret Shuttle (8) trailed early, before passing them all in his debut. That race was run in good time, and if he moves forward in his second try, should handle these. Pictural (7) also has the right to improve in his second start off a long layoff. Has worked well since. These two will decide this. Several could land on the board. Army Officer (5) might offer the best odds, and should find things easier up front today. Roadside Rest (6) has been working well for his return for trainer Clifford Size. I’ve left Uxmal (3) SCRATCHED off my tickets before, and regretted it. Finally, Areutrue (1) has been facing better, but will be severally challenged from the rail.

Tee
03-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Looks like #5 Army Officer now at 4/1.

Tee
03-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Putting my head cold back into rest mode.

7th - #9 Dilemma

8th - Carava and/or Mullins :)

9th - #5 Porfido

10th - #9 Dyanquake

SRK
03-22-2008, 06:27 PM
RACE 7

Asperity (4) had a prep, has been working well, and will be using this as another stepping stone to get back to Graded company. Rather Be Lucky (5) cuts back to a mile, is in good form, and appears to be overlooked in the betting. Silent Soul (2) has finished first or second in 5 of 6 starts at the distance, and should make another good accounting of himself today. Dilemma (9) tries the turf for the first time, which he is bred for, and gets Gomez. The outside post will temper my enthusiasm on the win end.

juanepstein
03-22-2008, 06:33 PM
santa anita 7th- wps- #8 lonely highway

periban bomber!

SRK
03-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Race 8

There should be a pace duel up front in this one, and that will set things up for the closers. Nerinx (6) looks like the best closer of the bunch, gets a class drop (for Becerra), and a jock switch (to Flores). Common Trust (8) gets Gomez back, who has already guided this gelding to two of his five wins. Gomez already has three wins on the card, and this one should be able to sit just off the pace, and pounce late. Excess Temptations (2) also drops in class, and should be prominent from the bell.

SRK
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Que pasa, Epstein?

SRK
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Race 9

On The Acorn (4) looks beatable in this, especially at even money or shorter. The 7-y-o checked in third in his first race in eight months. I’m not sure this closer will get the pace to close into that he’ll need to win this. Porfidio (5) on the other hand, should find the pace more leisurely, and just-might-take-them-all-the- way. Baby First (2) is being overlooked in the betting, and has every right to hit the board.

SRK
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
PASS

juanepstein
03-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Que pasa, Epstein?

de nada mi amigo.

went and washed the truck after the 7th.

hit the early pk3 but it got tough after that.