PDA

View Full Version : Why does Aqueduct run on Good Friday?

Light
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
They're closed on Palm Sunday and Easter when Jesus is being celebrated but run on Good Friday(today) when he is being crucified. I'm not trying to be moralistic and say when they should and shouldn't run,but are they not hypocrites? At the very least the Aqueduct management should be consistent with their own morality. Run on all 3 or don't run on all 3 occasions.If i was to pick a day amonst those 3 I mentioned,when not to gamble it would be Good Friday,without a doubt. You wouldn't play craps at the funeral of a friend would you?

ryesteve
03-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Aqueduct management should be consistent with their own morality.
They're closed because of their morality??? I thought they were closed because of archaic blue laws...

Niko
03-21-2008, 01:52 PM
They're closed on Palm Sunday and Easter when Jesus is being celebrated but run on Good Friday(today) when he is being crucified. I'm not trying to be moralistic and say when they should and shouldn't run,but are they not hypocrites? At the very least the Aqueduct management should be consistent with their own morality. Run on all 3 or don't run on all 3 occasions.If i was to pick a day amonst those 3 I mentioned,when not to gamble it would be Good Friday,without a doubt. You wouldn't play craps at the funeral of a friend would you?

It's pretty ironic...maybe it's because horse racing crucifies players all the time ;)

BombsAway Bob
03-21-2008, 02:40 PM
If you can start eating meat again on Good Friday, you can bet on G.F.!

saratoga guy
03-21-2008, 07:03 PM
At the very least the Aqueduct management should be consistent with their own morality.

The management of Aqueduct has nothing to do with it -- the rules prohibiting racing on the two Sundays are mandated by the state.

Light
03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Without the crucifiction of Christ, Christianity may never have been born. To say that horseracing is forbidden on the Sundays surrounding his death and O.K. on his death is playing politics with God.

onefast99
03-21-2008, 08:26 PM
I dont think the horses knew Jesus. At least the one you are talking about. Have a Happy Easter!

Tom
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
What a load of crap.

OTM Al
03-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing good or bad that a horseplayer will not complain about.

Light
03-22-2008, 01:20 AM
All I'm saying is Aqueduct's pseudo respect for Jesus is pure bull. Why do they have to pretend to honor Jesus by closing when it suits them,but not when he's put to death. What a slap in the face. And why do they close in the first place. What message are they sending? That betting on horses is a sin? Then they should not be in that business if that's what they truly believe. They're full of it. They need to get off their high horse.

ryesteve
03-22-2008, 08:35 AM
All I'm saying is Aqueduct's pseudo respect for Jesus is pure bull. Why do they have to pretend to honor Jesus by closing when it suits them,but not when he's put to death. What a slap in the face. And why do they close in the first place. What message are they sending? That betting on horses is a sin? Then they should not be in that business if that's what they truly believe. They're full of it. They need to get off their high horse.
Why do you insist on harping on Aqueduct when you've been told at least twice in this thread that they have absolutely nothing to do with it?

And despite the disclaimer in your first post, this is the most moralistic diatribe I've seen here in a long time (not counting all the crap in "Off Topic")

OTM Al
03-22-2008, 08:42 AM
And as I said it seems horseplayers will complain about anything, but what I forgot to add is that many of the complaints are, shall we say, complete hooey. Aqueduct, btw, is a track. NYRA does not run races on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday because the state tells them they can't. You can be pretty sure that if there was no rule, they would be running just like several other tracks are on Sunday including Gulfstream and Santa Anita.

Pace Cap'n
03-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Crucifiction??

One might display his apparently profound respect for the event by learning the proper spelling.

shanta
03-22-2008, 09:56 AM
It's the mafia. They run Aqueduct and the surrounding area. They also talk to God.

:p

Tom
03-22-2008, 09:59 AM

It's NYS law, not Aqueduct. When FL used to open this early, they, too, closed both days. Did you miss Post #2?

Cangamble
03-22-2008, 10:09 AM
I guess you can bitch about Turf Paradise, Turfway Park, Mountaineer, and Tampa Bay. I played them all yesterday, and by the looks of the data available at TSN I won't be able to bet at those tracks tomorrow, but I could last Sunday.

DeanT
03-22-2008, 10:54 AM
It's the mafia. They run Aqueduct and the surrounding area. They also talk to God.

:p

:D:D

Light
03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
In 3 posts,I made my point. All the answers have nothing to do with the point. Playing semantics: Its a state mandate,not Aqueduct. DUH! Useless.

OTM Al
03-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Useless.
I would say that's a fairly accurate description of this thread, yes.

Bill Olmsted
03-22-2008, 12:09 PM
What does a girl from West Virginia say after sex?

Greyfox
03-22-2008, 12:36 PM

"Thank you Bill. That thing you are calling a penis looks like a prick only it's smaller."

Greyfox
03-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Aqueduct never runs on any day. Horses do.

Greyfox
03-22-2008, 12:54 PM

"Times up Client # 8. I wonder if Client # 9 is waiting for me after all Aqueduct isn't running today."

dylbert
03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
What is the difference between this thread and a brick wall? None, but at least the brick wall can't post back!

rufus999
03-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Were not the NY state blue laws repealed about a decade ago? I don't think I was driving to Jersey on sundays to buy booze.:cool:

rufus

PaceAdvantage
03-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Perhaps Light is advocating that Good Friday become a national holiday. Hell (ooops!), after all, even the financial markets are closed on Good Friday, so why not just make it a national holiday?

Steve 'StatMan'
03-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Or maybe Light would like to bet AQU to run on the Palm Sunday and Easter. Nearly every track runs on Palm Sunday. Obviously the old Blue Laws and compromise were the key, but business would probably be good on the Sunday & Friday also known as Palm Sunday & Good Friday. Few tracks run on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Super Bowl Evening because business is usually not too good. Christmas Eve is usually a weak day, and hardly anyone ever runs on Christmas - if they do, almost no places would be open to take the simulcast signal.

ArlJim78
03-22-2008, 03:00 PM
put this thread in the hall of fame. finally someone has the guts to address one of the great moral issues of our time.

Bill Olmsted
03-22-2008, 03:15 PM
"Get off me Daddy, you're crushing my cigarettes."

B :)