PDA

View Full Version : This Ever Happen to Anyone Else?

Premier Turf Club
03-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I was DQ'd today in consecutive races, 5th at TAM and then 6th at BEU. $28 horse at TAM, and an $18 winner at BEU. In the TAM race the winner blew by the field but angled in sharply running past the field. At BEU the horse won a very tight photo, and then got DQ'd for an infraction on the backstretch on a horse that got beat 20 lengths. Been playing horses almost 35 years. Never been DQ'd on consecutive bets.

The wager before the first DQ, the horse I bet on threw the jockey at the gate.

I think I'll go walk the dog.:(

v j stauffer
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Poor dog. Keep an eye out Fido!

witchdoctor
03-19-2008, 03:44 PM
I can beat that. I lost 3 straight bets on DQs on Preakness day 1997. The next race I won with Silver Charm. As I was thanking my lucky stars, Jimmy Bradshaw who was sitting next to me jokingly said "There is an inquiry." He later joked that the look on my face was priceless. :D

cmoore
03-19-2008, 03:46 PM
That's some tough beats Club. I have to say, that's never happened to me. One DQ in the same day is my max.

I was DQ'd today in consecutive races, 5th at TAM and then 6th at BEU. $28 horse at TAM, and an $18 winner at BEU. In the TAM race the winner blew by the field but angled in sharply running past the field. At BEU the horse won a very tight photo, and then got DQ'd for an infraction on the backstretch on a horse that got beat 20 lengths. Been playing horses almost 35 years. Never been DQ'd on consecutive bets.

Premier Turf Club
03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, I'm not going to beat your record because I just cashed at BEU. Hopefully I've gotten the bad beats/luck out of the way.

Norm
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM

The immutable laws of the universe demand balance. Tomorrow, you will win the Daily Double. :D

rrbauer
03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey Ian, you didn't lose....look at the rebate you got!! :lol:

Imriledup
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM

The one thing that i don't like about DQs is that the benefit of the doubt doesn't go to the winner. What i mean by that is this. Once the inquiry is blinking, the judges are either deciding if the winner is guilty or innocent.......in other words, they are treating the winning horse and the fouled horse as complete equals in the equasion when they should be giving the winning horse a tremendous amount of leeway for actually winning the race. The burden of proof needs to be with the fouled horse and not treat both horses as equals. The burden of proof needs to be stronger to actually disqualify in my opinion.

There should be SOME credit given for running the fastest.

Many dq's happen because a faster horse circles by a slower horse and that faster horse lugs in and 'bothers' the horse who's tiring. The people who bet the tiring horse shouldn't get rewarded. I know a lot of jurisdictions won't DQ a horse if they determine that the incident didn't affect the outcome, which is obviously good.

I've never been a fan of borderline DQs and in my extremely humble opinion, there are too many of them.

pandy
03-19-2008, 10:13 PM

I was also dq'd off of two longshots that finished first in the same day about a month ago, it was a first for me. One of them deserved it, one didn't. I can't remember the last time I bet on a horse that moved up because of a dq.

Premier Turf Club
03-19-2008, 11:00 PM
I was also dq'd off of two longshots that finished first in the same day about a month ago, it was a first for me. One of them deserved it, one didn't. I can't remember the last time I bet on a horse that moved up because of a dq.

I don't think I ever had two in the same day before this. I never had two on back to back wagers.

True story, my 10 year old just got home from school and saw the Beulah race. After telling me he thought I lost the photo, he turns to me when the # starts blinking and says "Dad I hate to tell you this but he's coming down." Out of the mouths of babes...

boomman
03-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Man Ian that's rough!! I didn't see the 2 DQ's in question because I was on the road today, but I hope that in both DQ's the incidents clearly "cost a horse a placing"...This is the lone item that the stewards are taught in steward school to consider when it comes to a DQ and one they should never lose track of...After seeing a horse fouled twice by 2 different horses and finishing 4th when he would have placed AT LEAST 2nd at Penn National about a week ago, I was wondering out loud if there should ever be another DQ ANYWHERE....My best story is 2 horses that I had 1-2 (and finished that way) DQ'd in the SAME race...I remember vividly it was on the No Cal summer Fair Circuit and I believe it was at Stockton the summer before last but not positive...anyway they DQ'd my top 2 horses when one of them was marginal (at best) and if I would have had a dog, I would have been walking him LOL:D

Boomer

jballscalls
03-20-2008, 12:11 AM
I've only been DQ'd a handful of times, but in reality, i've only disagreed with one or two of them. Its funny though, even when you do get dq'd and you know it was a just call, you still feel ill.

Dave Schwartz
03-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Back in the early '80s I was DQ'd two races in a row a ridden by the same jockey: Bill Winland. I wonder what he is doing now...

cj's dad
03-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Well, I'm not going to beat your record because I just cashed at BEU. Hopefully I've gotten the bad beats/luck out of the way.

to the dog???:confused:

Premier Turf Club
03-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Dog is fine. Maybe a little tired from the never ending walk, but that's all. His owner has gotten over it as well.

Were they justified? I don't know. The TAM race Sealock literally runs by the entire field from upper stretch to the 1/16 pole to win for fun but she angled in sharply when she thought she was clear about 100 yards from the wire. I guess what they thought was it could have cost the 4th place horse 3rd. Nobody would have beaten the winner.

At BEU there was a bumping incident about 3f into a 5.5f race. The horse that was "fouled" finished 4th, behind his entry mate.

Obviously I had a rooting interest in the outcome, but I don't think either of those winners should have come down. I'm just not a big fan of DQ'ing a winner for an infraction committed against a horse that didn't hit the board.

Cangamble
03-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I wound up cashing that Tampa Bay race (exactor and quinella). I saw someone steady in the stretch, but I didn't think there would be a claim of foul. In fact, I didn't even know there was an inquiry. I found out I won by watching the scroll of results on HPITV.
I wound up losing on the day though.

My worst DQ was the 1st or 2nd leg of a pick four about 25 years ago. It was on the Marshall turf course at Woodbine. My horse won easy, but down the backstretch a horse with no chance "checked" while my horse passed her.
It looked more like a nervous check, and it wouldn't have been thrown out in any US track. Anyway, by comparing what the win 4 paid with the new winner, and comparing odds of my horse to that won, I figure it cost me around 15-20,000

My best outcome was a grass race around 5 years ago. They took down the winner of the first leg of a win 4 and put my horse up.
It was a pool shot, and I wound up winning 28,000 for a $48 investment.
One more thing. I handicapped the race as if it were on the dirt. For some reason I missed the fact it was on the turf.

motorhead
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
witchdoctor

i know what you mean about the look on your face

i can still see my friends face as he watched a 62 yd field goal split the uprights on the final play of the game to turn his winning wager into a losing one

my toughest beat is a single dq that cost me an $18,000 payoff

Premier Turf Club
03-20-2008, 01:23 PM
witchdoctor

i know what you mean about the look on your face

i can still see my friends face as he watched a 62 yd field goal split the uprights on the final play of the game to turn his winning wager into a losing one

my toughest beat is a single dq that cost me an $18,000 payoff

I lost five figures on the DQ of Storming Home in the 2003 Arlington Million. Horse had the race won and ducked out just as he touched the wire. Took more than 20 minutes to figure out whether horse had hit the finish line before he ducked out (which would have meant no DQ). Turns out he shied away from a photographer standing near the finish line.

Premier Turf Club
03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Spoke too soon about being off the schneid. DQ'd out of a $140 exacta (multiple times) at TAM earlier today.

I wish I liked golf.