PDA

View Full Version : My company was on the news tonight

lsbets
03-17-2008, 09:21 PM
And it wasn't for anything bad ;) . The local NBC station did a story on the company my wife and I started after I got back from Iraq:

http://video.nbc5i.com/player/?id=229862

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Well, that is freakin' COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chalk one up for the GOOD GUYS (and GALS)!

Continued success...you certainly deserve it!

retcu29
03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Welcome Home and a nice piece of video depicting your hard work...

chickenhead
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
way to go!

(hey, I recognize that roaster. If you blow up like Starbucks I expect some pre-IPO shares ;) )

looks like a nice place

BillW
03-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Good piece Jeff, I hope all is well!

bigmack
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
It's all done so well, Is. Logo treatment is tastefully Texas

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/tr.jpg

Where do I get an app for a franchise?
http://www.texasroast.com/

Zaf
03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Awesome , way to go ! Looks like a first class operation. Much success :ThmbUp:

Z

lsbets
03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Funny story about the roaster. When I was starting the company, chickenhead PMd me to tell me about this really cool roaster that was built by some guys his girlfriend (maybe ex?) used to work for. He heard they went belly up, but they might have some machines left. I tracked down the contact info and researched the roaster. I decided I wanted to talk to them, so I called. First thing they asked is how I heard about them. Here was my response:

Some guy, I don't know his name, but he posts on a horseracing board under the name chickenhead, told me his girlfriend used to work for the company and the machine is really cool.

Amazingly they did not hang up on me - and they knew who I was talking about.

chickenhead
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
chickenhead works in mysterious ways...

you're ever looking to open doors, just say you know me. :lol:

lsbets
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Something that didn't make it was the TV set to HRTV and Youbet on my laptop - I stop working the front once the races start ;) Priorities.

Indulto
03-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Great story, lsbets! Thanks for sharing.

Tom
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Congrats! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan'
03-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow! Congratulations Jeff & Meredith!

Dave Schwartz
03-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Very nice, Jeff.

You deserve it.

DanG
03-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Salute Jeff!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

You have chosen two of the most challenging and noble paths a person can pursue. Defending our nation and the restaurant business!

Not to mention providing two of life’s greatest pleasures. Fresh ground coffee and baking from scratch.

BTW: Do you have a web site where some “Texas Roast” can be shipped?

All the best to you and your family.

lsbets
03-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks Dan. There's something very satisfying about creating something and watching people enjoy it. And yes, we have a web store on our site. One of our very first customers was Diane, socalfan, buying coffee for her Mom. :)

DanG
03-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks Dan. There's something very satisfying about creating something and watching people enjoy it. And yes, we have a web store on our site. One of our very first customers was Diane, socalfan, buying coffee for her Mom. :)
Nice design too!

lsbets
03-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Nice design too!

Thank you. I got really lucky on that - a couple of young local guys who were starting a web design company approached me, said they could design a great site, and wanted a chance to showcase their new business. The hooked me up with a great price, and its brought them a lot of business, so it was a win all around. We have some updates we want to do, but until I can get those extra five hours added to every day, I can't seem to find the time to do what they need me to.

cj
03-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Very nice Jeff!

Hosshead
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Congrats Jeff, lookin' good !

hcap
03-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Way to go LS.....

I guess I can't use the phrase "wake up an smell the coffee" anymore. :jump:
Good luck!

betchatoo
03-19-2008, 10:40 AM
LS:

That is super cool. I wish you all the best and hope you become as big as Starbucks

lsbets
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Bet - that would be way too much work, I'm pretty happy where I am now, we're negotiating leases for 3 more stores right now and I'm seriously reconsidering. I'm happy, money is not everything.

Hcap - you'll love this - we catered the coffee for an event at Bush's ranch back in August and will be doing another one in April. It was more of a pain in the ass than anything, but it is good for business to say you catered for the President, no matter who the Pres is. In August I was tempted to get an autographed picture of Karl Rove for you, but I passed. Maybe I can get one of the Pres for you? He could sign it "To my biggest fan Hcap" ;)

ceejay
03-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Cool. Where's your store? Maybe I'll stop by next time in Big D.

lsbets
03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Cool. Where's your store? Maybe I'll stop by next time in Big D.
One in Rockwall and one in Highland Village. The one in Rockwall is the one where the races are always on.

Tom
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Are you planning on converting to off track betting parlors? ;)

wonatthewire1
03-19-2008, 08:12 PM
sounds great and congrats on the new venture

I'll be ordering some soon as I'm close to out on my McNulty's stuff in the freezer; we need some Texas Roast up in NJ

jonnielu
03-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey Jeff,

Good job, way to bring it. All the best.

jdl

citation
03-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Jeff,
Good story and good job.....nothing like doing something you love and calling it a job.....and thanks for your service to this country. Tell Meredith she may have a challenge on her hands....one of my other alias when I'm not following the ponies is COOKIE MAN - chocolate chip and oatmeal....

Best of luck in the future.....may order some coffee for my son-in-law - big coffee drinker.....you'll have to serve me a coke if I stop by....

Grits
03-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Starbucks had a corporate pow-wow today. They're making some changes--McD's new line may be causing some concern, along with the lower price of that concern. So, they're going back to grinding beans in-store for a fresher cup. Adding energy drinks as well.

I've never had a cup of coffee in one of them that I could handle. I could whistle and it'd come runnin'. Lord, that stuff is strong. Just TOO strong. The only time I drink it is when I'm driving I-95 bound for New York--somewhere, usually around Delaware, I need a jolt.

Give Isbets five years--as y'all know Texas is a whole 'nother country. Lots and lots of busy areas for growing fine coffee houses.;)

Wishing you much continued success, Isbets.

LS:

That is super cool. I wish you all the best and hope you become as big as Starbucks

hcap
03-20-2008, 05:46 AM
LS,

The Rove picture? Although I miss him, the rapping performance he did at the most recent press dinner is indelible. And I can catch him BSing on Fox if I truly want a chuckle. Now a Bush autograph made out to "hcap" might alert the black helicopters. Rather not get an implant. :eek:

The next time you see George W, instead of me- have him do an autographed photo to Tom-one of his biggest fans.....

I think " Dear Tom, dem spaniards ain't that bad once ya get to know 'em"
:lol: :lol:

JustRalph
03-22-2008, 09:14 PM
nice piece Jeff. I want a franchise.................