PDA

View Full Version : Its official: Nothing in racing is sacred anymore

Imriledup
03-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Listening to Trevor Denman's call of the final race at Santa Anita on March 16th saddened me to see the end of an era. For the first time in his illustrious career (if this is not the first time, it sure seems like it) Trevor injected gambling probables into his call. He was calling out the live runners in the pick 6 and he did it twice during the call. Maybe during his next call he can call the pick 4 probables when the horses are down the backstretch?

Or, better yet, he can interrupt the racecall with an advertisement for Frank's energy drink.

"and away they go to the roar of the santa anita fans who might want to consider franks energy drink for more details visit franks energy dot com"

:bang:

alhattab
03-16-2008, 10:24 PM
You may have already known this, but in case you didn't there were two people on track with live, only winner pick 6 tickets, entitling them to a Corvette if they had won. That is why Denman was a shill.

I'm not challenging your thoughts/opinion, just wasn't sure if you knew.

alysheba88
03-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Listening to Trevor Denman's call of the final race at Santa Anita on March 16th saddened me to see the end of an era. For the first time in his illustrious career (if this is not the first time, it sure seems like it) Trevor injected gambling probables into his call. He was calling out the live runners in the pick 6 and he did it twice during the call. Maybe during his next call he can call the pick 4 probables when the horses are down the backstretch?

Or, better yet, he can interrupt the racecall with an advertisement for Frank's energy drink.

"and away they go to the roar of the santa anita fans who might want to consider franks energy drink for more details visit franks energy dot com"

:bang:

An announcer who actually understands people bet on these races? You are right a tragedy for the sport.

DJofSD
03-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Me thinks thou protests too much.

onefast99
03-17-2008, 09:25 AM
He had every right to get the crowd involved there was a nice 50k car awaiting someone who hit the pick 6. Excellent job by Trevor. The sport needs more of this!!!!

vegasone
03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
And I thought they only went to watch them run around in circles.

Fingal
03-17-2008, 11:11 AM
He had every right to get the crowd involved there was a nice 50k car awaiting someone who hit the pick 6. Excellent job by Trevor. The sport needs more of this!!!!

In the past there were no public disclosure of the P6 payoffs before the last race.

In the past there was no knowing of which horses were "live".

Now we hear if the ticket was bought on track or elsewhere.

At one time Keeneland had no announcer.

Each innovation has been a step forward.

SMOO
03-17-2008, 12:32 PM
And I thought they only went to watch them run around in circles.

No, that would be Nascar.

alysheba88
03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Whats next telling us such meaningless drivel as who filled out the tri?

Pace Cap'n
03-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Me thinks thou protests too much.

Hey--you knew he was riled up when you opened the thread...:)

Imriledup
03-18-2008, 06:34 AM
You may have already known this, but in case you didn't there were two people on track with live, only winner pick 6 tickets, entitling them to a Corvette if they had won. That is why Denman was a shill.

I'm not challenging your thoughts/opinion, just wasn't sure if you knew.

I knew.

I just didn't like Trevor being told how to call his races and what to say. If he did it on his own, for shame. If the track management told him to embellish the call with gambling info, shame on them.

If you want to make the case that Trevor's call is good for the game and you enjoy that type of stuff, that's fine....all i say is that if you are going to announce who's alive and who's not alive in pick 6s, why stop there, why not run down the pick 4 probables and late DD prices at the half mile pole?

ryesteve
03-18-2008, 07:35 AM
If the track management told him to embellish the call with gambling info, shame on them.
As if gambling info isn't integral to the sport?? This isn't like a football announcer analyzing the decision to kick a field goal or go for it, in the context of how it'd impact the over/under.

Why do you think most racecallers give the 4th place finisher as the horses cross the wire? Listen to some old races, back before there was superfecta wagering. Did the 4th place finisher ever get a call? Should the dispensing of this gambling info stop immediately as well? If that's ok because technically the race is already over and it's no longer distracting you from the call, I'd have to say that in the case of Denman's call, I'm willing to put up with the distraction if it so happens that half a million dollars is up for grabs.

Imriledup
03-18-2008, 07:50 AM
As if gambling info isn't integral to the sport?? This isn't like a football announcer analyzing the decision to kick a field goal or go for it, in the context of how it'd impact the over/under.

Why do you think most racecallers give the 4th place finisher as the horses cross the wire? Listen to some old races, back before there was superfecta wagering. Did the 4th place finisher ever get a call? Should the dispensing of this gambling info stop immediately as well? If that's ok because technically the race is already over and it's no longer distracting you from the call, I'd have to say that in the case of Denman's call, I'm willing to put up with the distraction if it so happens that half a million dollars is up for grabs.

Exactly, that's why i say nothing is sacred anymore.

Also, gambling is integral to the NFL even though they don't want to admit it. Their announcers are not allowed to mention gambling, even though plenty of people have bets down on the game.

I just thought Trevor was above all this. He seemed to me to be all about the horse and the great history of horse racing as a sport and even though gambling was going on in the 80s and 90s, he never once referenced who was 'alive' in a particular bet in the middle of his race call.

People on this thread seem to feel this is ok. And to that, i say, nothing is sacred anymore. Anything goes. I guess pretty soon we'll have annoucers around the country inserting beer and automobile ads in between poles.

Once this stuff starts, it just gets worse.

I remember the NY Yankees were one of the last teams to NOT have any advertisements on their outfield walls and i just assumed that they were the NY Yankees and they were above 'tarnishing' the great history of Yankee stadium and the great history of major league baseball but i was wrong. They dunked themselves into the slime pit just like everyone else and sold out for the almighty dollar (which isn't so allmighty these days).

alysheba88
03-18-2008, 08:38 AM
God forbid racing do something that is in the bettors interest. Understand its revolutionary. Giving betting information

DJofSD
03-18-2008, 08:56 AM

Just because you are used to it being done one way does not mean it is sacred.

stuball
03-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Look at some of the management running the show..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stuball :lol: :lol:

alysheba88
03-18-2008, 09:14 AM

Also, gambling is integral to the NFL even though they don't want to admit it. Their announcers are not allowed to mention gambling, even though plenty of people have bets down on the game.

I just thought Trevor was above all this. He seemed to me to be all about the horse and the great history of horse racing as a sport and even though gambling was going on in the 80s and 90s, he never once referenced who was 'alive' in a particular bet in the middle of his race call.

People on this thread seem to feel this is ok. And to that, i say, nothing is sacred anymore. Anything goes. I guess pretty soon we'll have annoucers around the country inserting beer and automobile ads in between poles.

Once this stuff starts, it just gets worse.

I remember the NY Yankees were one of the last teams to NOT have any advertisements on their outfield walls and i just assumed that they were the NY Yankees and they were above 'tarnishing' the great history of Yankee stadium and the great history of major league baseball but i was wrong. They dunked themselves into the slime pit just like everyone else and sold out for the almighty dollar (which isn't so allmighty these days).

Not apples to apples comparison. In one example you are talking about information and in another talking about advertising. Should a baseball announcer not talk about the count? Should the scoreboard not show it?

ryesteve
03-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Also, gambling is integral to the NFL even though they don't want to admit it.I think we'd still have the NFL if there was no betting on it. Can't say that for horse racing.

I remember the NY Yankees were one of the last teams to NOT have any advertisements on their outfield walls and i just assumed that they were the NY Yankees and they were above 'tarnishing' the great history of Yankee stadium and the great history of major league baseball but i was wrong.
Part of the "great history" of baseball IS the ad signage. "Hit this sign and get a free suit" was back before I was born, but it's still part of the baseball lore I'm familiar with. I think you're imagining an era of purity and sanctity that never existed.

njcurveball
03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I think you're imagining an era of purity and sanctity that never existed.

Baseball players were given cigarettes as part of the promotion by tobacco companies. Where do you think they got the name "Lucky Strike"?

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=704&Lot_No=19514&src=pr

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=707&Lot_No=19606&src=pr

Nothing is as "lily white" as our memories of it.

Here is Ted Williams shilling for them as well.

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/baseball/images/memorabilia/chesterfield-tedstan.JPG

My memories of Connie Mack Stadium include the LARGE Ballantine Beer sign. As an 8 year old, I didn't even know what beer was, but I knew the name Ballantine.

http://www.projectballpark.org/history/nl/shibe.html

alysheba88
03-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I think we'd still have the NFL if there was no betting on it. Can't say that for horse racing.

Part of the "great history" of baseball IS the ad signage. "Hit this sign and get a free suit" was back before I was born, but it's still part of the baseball lore I'm familiar with. I think you're imagining an era of purity and sanctity that never existed.

Agree 1000% with second part. Not sure about the first. I mean NFL would probably exist without betting but would be unrecognizable in many ways to current version. Salaries would be far less, TV money far less, games would not be on TV as much. You would have more games blacked out on TV. And so forth. A significant amount of its popularity is due to betting.

ryesteve
03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Salaries would be far less, TV money far less, games would not be on TV as much.
People don't bet nearly as much on baseball and basketball as they do on football, but they still do ok in terms of salaries and TV exposure.

alysheba88
03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
People don't bet nearly as much on baseball and basketball as they do on football, but they still do ok in terms of salaries and TV exposure.

baseball is national pasttime.

NBA is relegated to cable alot.

But point taken. Definitely not dependent on gambling like the NFL

njcurveball
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
but they still do ok in terms of salaries .

I just read Michael Jordan's wife got the highest divorce settlement in history, 151 million. I guess we can say basketball ex-wives do well too. :jump:

ryesteve
03-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I just read Michael Jordan's wife got the highest divorce settlement in history, 151 million.
No wonder Heather Mills is so angry :D

DJofSD
03-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow! $151 million. Does she want to buy an investment bank (cheap)?

onefast99
03-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Who Bear-Stearns?:bang:

njcurveball
03-18-2008, 02:03 PM

She got this years ago, since Heather Mills is in the "top 10", they just brought the list back out.

#2 by a few dollars is Marcia Murphy who got 150 million from Neil Diamond!

A pretty good estimate of the Mills/McCarty settlement was done here the last time they brought the list

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/213568/michael_jordon_tops_celebrity_divorce.html

dutzman
03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
all i say is that if you are going to announce who's alive and who's not alive in pick 6s, why stop there, why not run down the pick 4 probables and late DD prices at the half mile pole?

Because a Pick 6 has a great potential to be a life changing score to some folks. A Pick 4 or Daily Double, not so much

Imriledup
03-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Because a Pick 6 has a great potential to be a life changing score to some folks. A Pick 4 or Daily Double, not so much

Horseplayers don't change their lives.....no matter how much they win, 99% of them are back the next day at the track doing the same exact things they do.

We can debate this till we are blue in the face but the bottom line remains to the track announcer, just call the race and leave the betting out of it.

Gary Stevens on HRTV was laughing and actually, in a kidding around way, blaming Trevor for 'jinxing' the pick 6 bettors by calling the race the way he called it. Horseplayers are superstitious, how would you feel if Trevor jinxed your bet like he did!! :lol:

DJofSD
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Horseplayers don't change their lives.....no matter how much they win, 99% of them are back the next day at the track doing the same exact things they do.

Yes, I agree. And I hope that never changes.

Cangamble
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Woodbine's announcer Dan Loiselle, seems to be disappointed whenever a favorite or second choice won an early part of a Pick 6 that had a large carryover.
It has been sickening listening to his him hoping the Pick wouldn't go, and a bigger carryover could be had the next day.

ranchwest
03-20-2008, 12:18 AM
They were going to do this at Turfway, but all that came out was "and moving up on the outside...".

Fastracehorse
03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
God forbid racing do something that is in the bettors interest. Understand its revolutionary. Giving betting information

Did U know U have an air of sarcasm??

:D

fffastt

MAGICHORSEMAN
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Trevor did a great job in his race call that day. It is always good to know if someone hit the pick 6. It is only people who are "bad sports" and are mad that someone hit the pick 6 and they did not- that are mad about his call on that race.

Imriledup
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Trevor did a great job in his race call that day. It is always good to know if someone hit the pick 6. It is only people who are "bad sports" and are mad that someone hit the pick 6 and they did not- that are mad about his call on that race.

I actually loved his call...i was hoping he was going to mention all the people who hit the pick 4 too, but i guess he just ran out of time! :lol: