PDA

View Full Version : Start car

46zilzal
03-16-2008, 01:23 PM
For weeks I have wanted to ride in the start car with the official starter and yesterday (I am training a fellow to take my photo finish job while I am away) they let me sit in. It was an amazing perspective compared to my regular place up on the roof. I was interested to find out that the starter has control of the accelerator and the "driver" only steers once they are in position to go. I was also impressed with how some of the drivers get the horse's nose RIGHT on the gate.

A fun time.

botster
03-17-2008, 02:32 AM
For weeks I have wanted to ride in the start car with the official starter and yesterday (I am training a fellow to take my photo finish job while I am away) they let me sit in. It was an amazing perspective compared to my regular place up on the roof. I was interested to find out that the starter has control of the accelerator and the "driver" only steers once they are in position to go. I was also impressed with how some of the drivers get the horse's nose RIGHT on the gate.

A fun time.

As you posted 46zizlzal, it must be an awsome vantage point to see how, and which drivers can settle their horses down while still having them on the gate and ready to go.Some drivers are better at this than others. I have seen guys who couldn't do this with a particular headcase, trying to time the gate, only to have other drivers with the same horse, put it's nose right on the gate with practicly two "fingers".Billy "zeke" Parker was a master at this in his heyday.

I am a firm believer, that when a driver fails to get one close to the gate(say within a neck's length), for whatever reason a horse many times will not give his all.

Much of the general public has the ignorant perception that these horses are somewhat easy to steer. I can firmly state, that this furthest from the truth.

melman
03-17-2008, 08:24 AM
46z---Maybe you have but if not see if you can get one of the trainers to let you "take a spin" in a jog cart with one of his pacers. Of course it would be one of the older horses who "knows the drill". I once had the chance to do so and belive me I have a great respect for the drivers skill in moving the horse thru traffic.