PDA

View Full Version : Alex Waldrop's position....

Hajck Hillstrom
03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I believe this to be a positive step....

How do you all perceive this?

A New Way Forward

By Alex Waldrop, President and CEO of the NTRA

In February, the NTRA launched a Horseplayer's Tour leading to the Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship. The Tour was born from months of dialogue with horseplayers, which reinforces one of the valuable lessons I learned while running a racetrack: horseplayers often know our business better than we do. The important contributions the players made to the formation of the Tour have led us at the NTRA to consider how our best customers also might help us address some of the other major challenges the industry faces in growing participation.

In my 15 years of involvement with this great sport and industry, I, like so many others, have heard plenty of reasons why Thoroughbred racing lags behind other major sports in terms of popularity. There is a lack of structure. Too much product. Not enough good product. No national scheduling. No commissioner with overriding power and authority like in other major sports. No revenue sharing like professional football and no billion- or even million-dollar television rights deals beyond the Triple Crown races. No easy-to-follow playoff leading to a championship. Our stars are lightly raced and retire too early. The list goes on and on.

Ultimately, almost all of racing's competitive challenges can be traced to one indisputable fact: The fundamental economic engine driving virtually all sectors of the horse racing industry - racino subsidies aside - is pari-mutuel wagering. So, to accomplish positive change within the horse racing industry, it stands to reason that we must engage and connect with those who wager - namely, horseplayers.

This is not to trivialize the importance of industry cooperation. In fact, the NTRA, a representative organization comprised of virtually every key horse industry constituency, has made significant strides over its first 10 years in areas that include marketing, promotions, television, sponsorship, integrity, group purchasing and legislative advocacy. These efforts have served to build the sport's profile on Capitol Hill and in the media and have improved the economics and structural underpinnings of our industry as a whole. But much work remains to be done in the area of addressing the fundamental structural issues necessary to duplicate the success realized by other major league sports. To that end, the one "league" that has always existed within horse racing, albeit slightly under the surface, is the sport's legion of loyal horseplayers.

Consider the following: research conducted by the NTRA over the past eight years indicates that horse racing fans are extremely passionate about our game. Players not only see themselves as consumers but as caretakers of the sport, and that is something that separates them quite distinctly from fans of other sports. They view the game as a cerebral challenge with each race representing a unique puzzle to be solved. And they also embrace the social or collegial aspects of horse racing. Horseplayers, in short, view themselves as members of a community or an extended family. Above all, they want to see horse racing thrive.

The characteristics of these players - in concert with their knowledge and skill - can help unlock the full potential of horse racing. Customer interaction and participation have greatly fueled the growth of the National Handicapping Championship and, as previously mentioned, led to the formation of the NHC Tour. Similarly, customer engagement can lead to wagering innovation and new ways of approaching fan development. This might mean providing our customers with the information and even software they need to create what they want themselves, like designing their own bets. Already, amateur bloggers and core fans are communicating and creating content every day on the Internet about racing and the industry. Why not formally enlist them in the process?

This spring, the NTRA will launch a Horseplayers' Coalition. Its focus will be to support the NTRA's Capitol Hill lobbying efforts. One major NTRA legislative initiative is achieving tax withholding on winnings that is commensurate with other forms of gaming. Horseplayers are painfully aware of the income tax burdens that fall disproportionately on those who wager on horse racing and they are eager to discuss with lawmakers the detrimental effects of these outdated tax laws. Here again, players understand the real-life complexities of betting better than anybody.

The Tour, the focus on growing the National Handicapping Championship, and the creation of the Horseplayers' Coalition are three components of a broader Web 2.0 strategy the NTRA is implementing to engage existing and target fans. Using the social networking opportunities that dominate the Internet, we can now engage our most enthusiastic players on a massive scale and foster the collaboration so necessary for real change. Long-established businesses like Procter & Gamble Co. and Dow Chemical Co. are starting to listen more intently to contributions from their best customers. LEGO uses the Internet to enlist the support of its customers in the creation and effective marketing of new toys. If we follow these examples, we need look no farther than our core fans for the energy and creativity necessary to discover the "next big thing" in racing. And who is to say that these same participants can't help us address larger issues affecting the overall structure of the game?

These ideas about mass collaboration and customer engagement apply even more to the elusive younger audience our industry so long has coveted. The emerging generation, called Millennials (12-29 year-olds), is significantly more likely to wager online and in other ways than older generations, they are serious sports fans and they seek out games and sports that require thinking. But if we fail to adapt our business model to their modes of interaction, via text messaging and social networking rather than traditional media, we may lose that generation entirely and with it will go perhaps the greatest potential for growth our business has seen since the appearance of televised sports.

The ultimate power within this game lies with those whose wagering dollars fuel the parimutuel engine. Because these people are largely nameless and faceless, their potential too often goes untapped. This is a mistake that the industry can no longer afford to make. In the coming months, you can expect to hear the NTRA speaking up on a number of key issues. To our horseplayers, we at the NTRA give our word that you will be an important part of that process. We've always appreciated your business. We will now do a better job of appreciating your ideas.

chickenhead
03-14-2008, 10:48 PM
he had me at hello.

The ultimate power within this game lies with those whose wagering dollars fuel the parimutuel engine. Because these people are largely nameless and faceless, their potential too often goes untapped. This is a mistake that the industry can no longer afford to make. In the coming months, you can expect to hear the NTRA speaking up on a number of key issues. To our horseplayers, we at the NTRA give our word that you will be an important part of that process. We've always appreciated your business. We will now do a better job of appreciating your ideas.

how could this be taken as anything but positive? Whether it amounts to anything is a different story, but it is nice to at least hear it coming from them, rather than us, for a change.

Greyfox
03-14-2008, 10:54 PM
A visionary is driving the bus. Read, and read again.

HAJCK!! Thankyou for the posting.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

(You said that you believe it is a positive step, try Quantum leap.)

boomman
03-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Although in the past I have never hesitated to criticize the NTRA for their lack of marketing of our sport (something they promised that they could do a great job of when they entered our arena), I applaud Mr. Waldrop on this forward thinking concept and sincerely hope that he does plan to act on it and is not simply telling us what we want to hear and what we've all known to be true for a very long time, that the horseplayer is the engine that drives this game and always has been. Yes, I have an appreciation for the owners, trainers and jockeys that put on the show and always will, but the show will only go on if we provide great customer service to our existing horse players (something this industry as a whole really needs to work on) and create many new customers as well. Mr. Waldrop makes a great point that young folks are now being introduced to online gaming at an early age and it is the industry's responsibility to work together and with the licensed parimutuel ADW's to make our industry totally accessible to anyone that wants to learn and eventually bet on the races. This fracturing of signals MUST STOP now! It is horrible for the industry, and the powers that be need to wake up to that fact immediately! I know there are several members of PA that would be great as part of the Horse Player's Coalition, but 2 members that come to mind immediately that could make an instant impact on such a Coalition are Richard Young (betovernetcapper) and Richard Bauer (RR Bauer). I also would be pleased to do anything I can to help as well............;)

Boomer

Tom
03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
A visionary is driving the bus.

Or Ray Charles!

Talk is cheap....I'll wait for some action.
The last "quantum leap" in racing was standardized saddle cloth colors. And it was a monumental task to achieve! This year is the worst year for the people who send in the mioney I can ever remember. Quantum leap or calling hours?

takeout
03-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Talk is cheap....I'll wait for some action.
Me too. Look at all of the states that are stalling. The only way anything will ever get done in racing is for the feds to mandate it. That may or may not be a good thing but it’s the only way I can see any meaningful change ever taking place.

Murph
03-15-2008, 09:34 PM
That sounds really good on the face of it, HH. But ..

We've seen too many of these promises burn to leave the same ashes that would remain about 30 seconds after I started telling you how to handicap a horse race.

Murph

Indulto
04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44733&source=rss
Horseplayers' Coalition Unveiled by NTRA
Date Posted: April 22, 2008
(From the National Thoroughbred Racing Association)The National Thoroughbred Racing Association announced April 22 the formation of the Horseplayers’ Coalition, a consortium of horseplayers whose common objective is to seek legislative and regulatory solutions to tax and business issues that impact racing fans and pari-mutuel racetracks.

… “Our nation’s horseplayers provide the capital that fuels so much of the horse industry, and the new Horseplayers’ Coalition will finally give this group a means of speaking with a unified voice in Washington, D.C.,” said Alex Waldrop, president and CEO of the NTRA.

“The concerns of horseplayers are an important part of the NTRA’s lobbying efforts,” said Peggy Hendershot, senior vice president of legislative affairs for the NTRA. “We encourage all fans to take an active role in these efforts by joining the coalition. Together we can make a real difference in addressing the many issues, like withholding and taxation, that affect players on a daily basis.” …1) What % of horsplayers actually have at least one signer annually?
a. Of those, what % have their play impacted by signer withholding?

I'm not saying that the unfairness to horseplayers of the current tax law doesn't need to be addressed, but I question whether this is the most important issue to be addressed much less the best to attract meaningful support and financing from non-professionals.

2) What % of horseplayers participate in tournaments?
a. Of those, what % actually make money from that participation?

3) To what extent is such participation affected by
a. Actual or effective parimutual takeout?
b. Federal tax laws?

I would argue that takeout is more important to more players than signers.

For non-professional players like myself, lowering exotic wager minimums is the most important financial issue, freedom of ADW choice with wagering access to all tracks nationally being the most important convenience issue, and unadulterated video access to those same races the most important entertainment issue.

IMO this new group has the sound and the smell of the old "Player's Panel."

When lower exotic minimums start causing me withholding problems I'll be happy to give that issue a priority.

Frankly, I expected more after reading the article that prompted this threadI believe this to be a positive step....

How do you all perceive this?

A New Way Forward

By Alex Waldrop, President and CEO of the NTRA ...I have no problem with the following excerpts:… Ultimately, almost all of racing's competitive challenges can be traced to one indisputable fact: The fundamental economic engine driving virtually all sectors of the horse racing industry - racino subsidies aside - is pari-mutuel wagering. So, to accomplish positive change within the horse racing industry, it stands to reason that we must engage and connect with those who wager - namely, horseplayers.

… research conducted by the NTRA over the past eight years indicates that horse racing fans are extremely passionate about our game. Players not only see themselves as consumers but as caretakers of the sport, and that is something that separates them quite distinctly from fans of other sports. They view the game as a cerebral challenge with each race representing a unique puzzle to be solved. And they also embrace the social or collegial aspects of horse racing. Horseplayers, in short, view themselves as members of a community or an extended family. Above all, they want to see horse racing thrive.

… amateur bloggers and core fans are communicating and creating content every day on the Internet about racing and the industry. Why not formally enlist them in the process?

… Horseplayers are painfully aware of the income tax burdens that fall disproportionately on those who wager on horse racing and they are eager to discuss with lawmakers the detrimental effects of these outdated tax laws. Here again, players understand the real-life complexities of betting better than anybody.

… Using the social networking opportunities that dominate the Internet, we can now engage our most enthusiastic players on a massive scale and foster the collaboration so necessary for real change.

… These ideas about mass collaboration and customer engagement apply even more to the elusive younger audience our industry so long has coveted. The emerging generation, called Millennials (12-29 year-olds), is significantly more likely to wager online and in other ways than older generations, they are serious sports fans and they seek out games and sports that require thinking. But if we fail to adapt our business model to their modes of interaction, via text messaging and social networking rather than traditional media, we may lose that generation entirely and with it will go perhaps the greatest potential for growth our business has seen since the appearance of televised sports.

The ultimate power within this game lies with those whose wagering dollars fuel the parimutuel engine. Because these people are largely nameless and faceless, their potential too often goes untapped. This is a mistake that the industry can no longer afford to make. …

JustRalph
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
they can hear the drums beating in the distance. They are trying to control the dialogue.

Indulto
04-23-2008, 01:16 AM
they can hear the drums beating in the distance. They are trying to control the dialogue.That sounds right to me. According to Crist, the industry has enough incentive to get the tax laws changed without asking horseplayers to fork over $25:

http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=93637&subs=0&arc=1 (http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=93637&subs=0&arc=1)
Bettors take beating from tax man
By STEVEN CRIST 4/11/2008... The problem stems from the failure of the IRS or the racing industry to acknowledge that racetrack betting has changed drastically since the current codes were written in the early 1970s. Exotic betting pools that can produce reportable payoffs began as a novelty and a sliver of the national betting handle but have become a staple of the game and a multibillion-dollar business. Yet payoffs of more than $602 at odds of 300-1 or greater are still treated as windfalls which must be reported and frequently withheld. A person who bets $50,000 a year into such pools and gets back $40,000 has lost $10,000 pursuing his hobby and should not be subject to tax or withholding on his proceeds. The IRS, however, believes he has won $40,000 and comes looking for a slice of that if it hasn't already taken one. ...

... It remains a mystery why the racing industry has not taken aggressive action, if only out of self-interest: Literally hundreds of millions of dollars are taken out of circulation each year through needless withholding, overtaxation, and the black-market ticket-cashing scams that turn fearful players into tax criminals. The National Thoroughbred Racing Association has pursued the matter legislatively with little luck. It is hard to believe that the sport's many politically well-connected owners and breeders, who would benefit directly from higher handle and thus higher purses if the situation were addressed, can't make better progress behind closed doors with their friends in the Treasury Department or in the halls of Congress.

... In addition to galvanizing support for these changes, which would improve track handle more than all current advertising and promotions combined, tracks should continue to reduce minimum bets, one of the few ways of exempting exotic payoffs from tax liability: a $6,000 for $2 superfecta is subjected to $1,500 in withholding, and a $3,000 for $1 payoff is reported to the I.R.S. and creates a tax liability for the player, but a $300 for $0.10 payoff dodges the taxman altogether. ...