PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough Downs: "... Like 'Merrill's Marauders'"

Teach
03-14-2008, 03:15 PM
"We’ll be like 'Merrill’s Maurauders,'" my friend Eddie, the World War II history expert, suggested. "Yeh, and I deserve a gold medal for lugging you all over eastern New England," I replied. Eddie and I had just visited southern NH’s Rockingham Park for an afternoon of thoroughbred racing when Eddie suggested we push even further north and head for southern Maine’s Scarborough Downs.

At first, I was a bit reluctant. But, after much talk as to how we could recoup our throroughbred losses, I relented. So off we went. Up Route #95, through southeastern NH and then on to the Maine Turnpike. I recall we exited just south of Portland. A few minutes later we had arrived.

As this was about forty years ago, my recollections are somewhat hazy. I do recall that in those days Scarborough Downs was a mile track. As I remember, they also ran a thoroughbred meet there, as well. One of the things that immediately caught my attention was the ability to make $1 wagers (I thought that was great for a guy on a limited budget).

Another thing I quickly noticed was that you couldn’t stay outside on the track apron for any length of time. As I remember, our visit was during the late spring. It must have been mosquito mating season because the mosquitos, at least on that occasion, were ferociouis.

Oh, another thing that caight my attention was a young driver named Ted Wing. I immediately sensed that this kid (he wan’t that much younger than me) had the goods. You could just see it in the way he drove. He had a lot of polish for a guy who was still in his teens.

As I recall, I was so impresed with Wing’s abilities that I asked a local Mainer about him. He told me some things about Wing's background and how he was also an excellent skier. He finished by saying, "And he don’t smoke or drink."

Finally, I recall a driver named Irving Foster, for no other reason save for the fact that one of my best friend’s last name was Foster.

Yes, we had a great time. I don’t recall if my buddy and I recouped our afternoon losses , but it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening of harness racing.

On the way home, I repeated my good-natured kidding about deserving a medal for lugging him all over the place. He replied, "Hey, I told you we were like 'Merrill's Marauders.'" He then added, "Did you know that every member of that heroic unit had the distinction of being awarded a bronze star for bravery? – and you wanted a medal for just drivin' me around!"