PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different...part 2

betchatoo
03-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Some of you may recall that 3 years ago I put up a thread about a musical I wrote, "Love In The Middle Ages," being selected by the Chicago Cultural Center as their finale piece for their spring cultural festival. In fact a few of you have been kind enough to occasionally inquire as to how the show was progressing.

I am proud to announce yesterday we signed the contracts to give the show its first full professional performances (5 weeks beginning at the end of August) at a small theater in Oak Park. Even more exciting (to me), our backers have agrees that if the show is a success they will finance a far more expensive version in a larger Chicago venue.

The only down side to this is that working on it will cut down my handicapping time in spring and early summer (my favorite time). I have now passed 70 rewrites and have several new ideas to spice up the show. For those of you in the Chicago area I'm hoping you'll come out and support a fellow horse player when it opens.

http://ababyboomersguidetoloveandsexthemusical.com/

Tom
03-14-2008, 11:18 AM
That is awesome, Bet....congratulations! :jump::jump::jump:

RaceBookJoe
03-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I am really happy for you. It is hard work writing a musical, i am in the middle of one right now. I "youtubed" some of the performances, nice stuff. Musical theatre is one of the few genres where intricate melodies are utilized, unlike much radio music with their "do,re,mi" melodies. If it takes off you might want to give vegas a try, they keep bringing in musicals left and right. Best of luck , just dont forget the horses haha. rbj

bigmack
03-14-2008, 01:25 PM
As an ex-surburban Chicago thug I know that circuit is quite vibrant. Well done :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Endeavoring oneself in a creative vein is a powerful thing.

Much success!

Steve 'StatMan'
03-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Great News Scott(Bet)!!! I've GOT to go see it, and gives me a great excuse to find a date again to join me. Saw the clips on YouTube from the staged reading, great stuff! Funny lyrics for funny scenes, sensitive lyrics for sensitive scenes, and great music to go with them!

Really looking forward to it - Best of Luck!

Steve

jognlope
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Wow I've dreamed of putting on a musical!!

Indulto
03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Congratulations, B2.

I googled the title with your first name and found:

http://ababyboomersguidetoloveandsexthemusical.com/

Folks can play some song samples there. My favorite was "How Many Frogs."

chickenhead
03-14-2008, 10:28 PM
congratulations Scott!

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Congrats and much success!

JustRalph
03-15-2008, 03:59 AM
anybody here ever try to write a song? If so, you know what an accomplishment this is..........

Congrats! :ThmbUp:

boomman
03-15-2008, 09:44 AM
betcha: Amazing accomplishment! Congrats! I get to Chi Town a couple of times a year. Will definitely "look the show up" next time I'm in town!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boomer

betchatoo
03-17-2008, 03:58 AM
anybody here ever try to write a song? If so, you know what an accomplishment this is..........

Congrats! :ThmbUp:
Thanks to all for the kind words. I remember the day I finished my first draft of the show it felt like hitting a four figure trifecta. I have been told that fewer than 1 out of every 300 scripts ever make it to any sort of stage, so I guess I really did hit a long shot.