PDA

View Full Version : Modern ballplayers are soft

GaryG
03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
This exemplifies the pussification of modern baseball. This used to be standard precedure, the way you played the game. Just like pitchers throwing inside. Now there is a bench clearing brawl with the obligatory posturing. When I was a kid we sharpened our spikes "just in case".

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3291224

DanG
03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
This exemplifies the pussification of modern baseball. This used to be standard precedure, the way you played the game. Just like pitchers throwing inside. Now there is a bench clearing brawl with the obligatory posturing. When I was a kid we sharpened our spikes "just in case".

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3291224
This slide was bush-league in every way. A catcher getting run over while blocking the plate and going for guy’s knee when you’re out by 8-miles have nothing to do with each other.

skate
03-14-2008, 04:48 PM
well, you're not out until after the contact. and then it all depends.

In my day, we didnt have spikes.

Harry Smeck, this guy nailed me while in High School and ive always regretted, since i still had the ball, not giving him one in return,:D . but hey, 'its the memory that counts", not the money, not the back.

:cool:

njcurveball
03-14-2008, 05:07 PM
In my day, we didnt have spikes.

OH MY! Did you leave your gloves on the field for the other team too? ;)

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2008, 12:45 AM
I think there was a serious over-reaction to Duncan's slide on the part of the Rays. How many times do we see runners go OUT OF THEIR WAY to barrell over the 2nd baseman trying to complete the DP, but Duncan gets clipped for sliding directly into the base?

He's a big goofy guy anyway, so a big goofy slide like that probably isn't as nefarious as people are making it out to be.....Gomes on the other hand, could have seriously injured Duncan way more than a silly spike to the leg....

DanG
03-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I think there was a serious over-reaction to Duncan's slide on the part of the Rays. How many times do we see runners go OUT OF THEIR WAY to barrell over the 2nd baseman trying to complete the DP, but Duncan gets clipped for sliding directly into the base?

He's a big goofy guy anyway, so a big goofy slide like that probably isn't as nefarious as people are making it out to be.....Gomes on the other hand, could have seriously injured Duncan way more than a silly spike to the leg....
Could not possibly disagree more Mike.

Breaking up a DP and sliding that way when your out by that much have ZERO to do with each other.

Having played many a baseball game and now MANY softball games, I’ve yet to see that slide / in those circumstances not end in punches. I’m only disappointed Aki didn’t go Bruce Lee on him and waited for Gomes.

That is text book viewing the play through ‘pin-stripe glasses! :D

GaryG
03-15-2008, 08:42 AM
That is text book viewing the play through ‘pin-stripe glasses! :DDan, with all due respect you may be viewing the play through... well, whatever kind of glasses they wear in Tampa Bay. :D

DanG
03-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Dan, with all due respect you may be viewing the play through... well, whatever kind of glasses they wear in Tampa Bay. :D
You may be right Gary, but I’ve played and watched an awful lot of baseball and this was and clear cut as it gets.

njcurveball
03-15-2008, 11:48 AM
This slide was bush-league in every way. .

I would love to disagree with you Dan (being a Yankee fan), but in this case it just cried of "look at me, Coach".

Seen similar stuff by Freshman and marginal players at tryouts. Duncan has a good baseball pedigree and should have known better.

Good players do dumb things, even Yankees. The Arod yelling fiasco with Toronto coming to mind quickly.

A 3 game suspension in Spring Training is just a mark of stupidity as well.

Replays always seem to look worse than the actual event. Here is the only video I could find on the Web.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWc77ELoz0M

Jim

DanG
03-15-2008, 12:34 PM
I would love to disagree with you Dan (being a Yankee fan), but in this case it just cried of "look at me, Coach".

Seen similar stuff by Freshman and marginal players at tryouts. Duncan has a good baseball pedigree and should have known better.

Good players do dumb things, even Yankees. The Arod yelling fiasco with Toronto coming to mind quickly.

A 3 game suspension in Spring Training is just a mark of stupidity as well.

Replays always seem to look worse than the actual event. Here is the only video I could find on the Web.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWc77ELoz0M

Jim
Jim,

That’s means a lot coming from you because of your devotion to the Yanks and I know you not only play on a regular basis, but know the game as well as anyone I know

We have both played infield and you know as well as I…When someone comes in like that / in those circumstances…it’s “go-time”.

I don’t blame the Yank’s for staring the game nailing Longoria…That was an appropriate response and the slide was not.

Three observations in the aftermath…

Duncan’s quote saying “we had to match their intensity”. The fact that a Yankee would even say that about the perennial door matt’s is just incredible to me.

With 18 games this year, it should make for some interesting contests. (When the Yank’s win 12+ of them!!!) :D

Both sides are lucky Duke’s is no longer a Ray. They would have needed an army to stop him in a fight. Watch the Nationals this year. If anything breaks out they will need a dart gun to stop him…HE’S NUTS!!! :eek:
PS: How does Kirk Ziadie pay 9-1 off the claim in the 1st at Tampa? You have to love tourist money!!! :jump: :jump:

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Could not possibly disagree more Mike.

Breaking up a DP and sliding that way when your out by that much have ZERO to do with each other.Do players even wear metal spikes these days? How much damage could Duncan potentially have done, compared to how much damage Gomes could have done if Duncan's neck and/or back snapped somewhere down the line?

That was a vicious, unexpected hit Duncan took from behind....

skate
03-15-2008, 01:34 PM
OH MY! Did you leave your gloves on the field for the other team too? ;)

oh, hey, many times it was What Glove. Man , a glove was a treat.

Hey hey hey, once we lost Andy (center fielder) seems he fell in the big CF hole.

Black tape on the ball was usually the case, never a cover for the ball.

DanG
03-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Do players even wear metal spikes these days? How much damage could Duncan potentially have done, compared to how much damage Gomes could have done if Duncan's neck and/or back snapped somewhere down the line?

That was a vicious, unexpected hit Duncan took from behind....
No way…

2 posts debating this one?

You ARE a fan aren’t you Mike. :D Seems open and shut to me and to most everyone I know who has played.