PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Grahl

Whitehos
02-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Screwed again,
After the zillionth attempt I finally thought I had found the magic to winning at horse racing when one of Mike Gills dead horses ends up with a leg missing. I pray to the God of racing that the investigation finds nothing illegal connected with this bizzare behavior. This dynamic duo of Gill and Shuman have been paying my living expenses since the GP meet started this year.

At first I was worried that Florida might not allow this dynamic duo to operate since one was barred from training. Evidently a barred trainer can continue to practice his trade disguised as an owner.

As one who has a deep seated hatred for veterinarians I find it a joke that one of these quacks working out of the leading horse clinic in the nation dosen't think there would be anything to hid by removing the leg of a dead horse. WHAY A NOVEL THIS COULD MAKE

JustMissed
02-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Hey Whitehos. Did you happen to see Dancing Deer win the second the other day, paying $157. What's the deal with that horse.

JustMissed

karlskorner
02-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Your question on Dancing Deer

Came out of a "key race" on 1/20, 6th race, he beat the 2 next out winners, came in 3rd. Went on to win his next out.

superfecta
02-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner
Your question on Dancing Deer

Came out of a "key race" on 1/20, 6th race, he beat the 2 next out winners, came in 3rd. Went on to win his next out. Also had good form,good speed # in the DRF.Had him running 2nd or 3rd,didn't think he would beat the favs.Not a complete surprise,just mainly his odds were surprising.

JustMissed
02-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

It just blows me away when a horse can go off at that kind of price.

I'm sure if I had been playing Gulfstream that day I would not have bet him.

Oh, well, there's always tommorrow.

JustMissed
:)

LOU M.
02-08-2003, 03:52 AM
What's even more surprising is the trainer was 0-84 and there were seven people there to take the photo and they weren't from the backstretch.Just makes you wonder:confused:

JustRalph
02-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by LOU M.
What's even more surprising is the trainer was 0-84 and there were seven people there to take the photo and they weren't from the backstretch.Just makes you wonder:confused:

That says something in my book. Very good observation.

Tom
02-08-2003, 09:49 AM
What does it make you wonder?
I missed the ball here.

LOU M.
02-08-2003, 10:10 AM
I just wonder how anybody could possibly think the horse had any chance to win. The horse was 1-21 lifetime, trainer 0-116 last 365, 0-84 in claiming races, 1-21 with horse ,0-6 with jockey .The horse lost his last eight by a total of 120 lenghts and so on.And yet the connections invite a half dozen freinds out to watch their horse run?The horse wins by 8 going away down the center of the track and all the while on the way back to the winners circle the jockey is laughing and shaking his head.Didn't bet the race but still made me wonder what magic was used.

Dave Schwartz
02-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Lou,

There is "magic" involved here, but it is magic of "hope."

What I hear you saying is that this trainer was so bad that nobody should expect him to win, so why are they there to take pictures?

If they really believed that this trainer was that bad, they would never let him train the horse. Obviously they are not as smart as you give them credit for. <G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Larry Hamilton
02-08-2003, 11:24 AM
In the week before the race, I got an email tip on this horse from a friend of the trainer. No, I didnt get on it, but that is not the point. The point is to some near the horse, the race was a gimme at ANY ODDS.

The moral of the story for handicappers is to be careful with words like "never", "all", "no way" and "not in this life time".

LOU M.
02-08-2003, 11:25 AM
I can't comment on their intellect but I guess they have deep pockets and just love the horse or trainer or maybe the trainer owns a portion of the horse , whatever, they knew more than we did.Also wonder if they attend all of its races in the HOPE that it will win?
Warm regards Lou.

LOU M.
02-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Surely you jest.

Larry Hamilton
02-08-2003, 12:15 PM
no, I am as serious as a heart attack

LOU M.
02-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Care to let us know why they were so high on the horse. What caused this sudden turn around of horse and trainer?

Larry Hamilton
02-08-2003, 12:56 PM
I have no idea. I got the information 3rd hand.

Tom
02-08-2003, 01:05 PM
...a little slow on the uptake this morning-should never log on with out coffee <G>
Used to be a trainer at FL that only wore a clean shirt when he expected to have his picture taken. All we did was bet every one of his horses until one won that day. Worked good.
A friend of mine used to own a horse. His trainer would tell him when to get a haircut and wear a clean shirt to the track.
Got to knwo a couple of his other owners and it was the same thing. When they would win, the horse looked AWFUL!!!!
One thisg was sure-if he told you it would win it might, if he told it would not win, it would NEVER win.
One of the biggest hits of my life was on Strictly a Gamble - he paid $47 and I had $20WPS on him. At the time, I was making $2.05 and hour for 20 hours a week. I was rich for a while.
The bet was my major investment of the year.
Sometimes, they know. And there ain't nothing we can do about it.

LOU M.
02-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Tom, I agree 100%Sometimes they just KNOW.

andicap
02-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by LOU M.
I just wonder how anybody could possibly think the horse had any chance to win. The horse was 1-21 lifetime, trainer 0-116 last 365, 0-84 in claiming races, 1-21 with horse ,0-6 with jockey .The horse lost his last eight by a total of 120 lenghts and so on.And yet the connections invite a half dozen freinds out to watch their horse run?The horse wins by 8 going away down the center of the track and all the while on the way back to the winners circle the jockey is laughing and shaking his head.Didn't bet the race but still made me wonder what magic was used.

If you read or listen to Pizzolla's stuff, this is exactly the type of horse he loves. I'm sure Bob Harris can vouch for me on this.

karlskorner
02-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Maybe the Trainer just KNEW because the 2 next out winners of the "key race" on 1/20 went on to win higher claiming price races and since his horse beat them on 1/20 he felt he had a good shot.

Boris
02-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner
Maybe the Trainer just KNEW because the 2 next out winners of the "key race" on 1/20 went on to win higher claiming price races and since his horse beat them on 1/20 he felt he had a good shot.

After 116 tries he finally gets one to come out of a "key race". Man, Colonel Sanders has nothing on this guy. <G>

MarylandPaul@HSH
02-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Isn't it more likely that the trainer stumbled on a physical (or behavorial) problem with this horse and rectified it?

MP

JustRalph
02-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by MarylandPaul
Isn't it more likely that the trainer stumbled on a physical (or behavorial) problem with this horse and rectified it? MP

If this was true, he ought to be fired for not catching it sooner!

Interesting scenario. With the stats quoted here, the key race would have made me take a hard look at him, or more likely the race itself. I am leery of key races sometimes that look too good for a horse that has the record this pony put together.

tanda
02-09-2003, 02:37 AM
Maybe it was just a plain fluke. Nothing more, nothing less.

karlskorner
02-09-2003, 09:37 AM
I think Joe Takach's last article (#15) pretty well sums up this thread.

Whitehos
02-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Wow, has this thread gone astray from what I originally intended to say. Since it won't get back on track I will join you. I love owning horses because of the "friends" you make. As soon as a horse of mine is entered in a race the phone starts to ring. Used to be at work and now at home. No matter what I told them many of them come out to the track. On the rare occassion when a horse of mine would win it became an expensive party. When that happens now I take the horse back to the barn and leave for home from there, and thereby get to keep more of the purse. What is there about owning horses and having "friends"?

Dave Schwartz
02-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Whitehos,

LOL - So, one of the perks of owning horses comes with an added expense, huh?

You know, I founf the same thing the first year I lived at Lake Tahoe. I was never without a house guest or two. Never! We actually had to create a reservation system to keep track of who was coming when. And the tours were breaking me. (Everyone wanted to go to the Ponderosa and Virginia City.)

Good luck.

Dave

Tom
02-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Whitehos,

LOL - So, one of the perks of owning horses comes with an added expense, huh?

You know, I founf the same thing the first year I lived at Lake Tahoe. I was never without a house guest or two. Never! We actually had to create a reservation system to keep track of who was coming when. And the tours were breaking me. (Everyone wanted to go to the Ponderosa and Virginia City.)

Good luck.

Dave

Is Tuesday open? No-smoking room, please. <G>

Dave Schwartz
02-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Tom,

I'm a "flatlander" now. You wouldn't want to stay here. <G>

Dave