PDA

View Full Version : War Pass In Another Paid Workout --

joeya
03-11-2008, 12:29 AM
DRF.com

Only War Pass plus two in Tampa Derby

With Smooth Air out of Saturday's Tampa Bay Derby, only three horses remain as confirmed starters for the Grade 3 race, topped by Eclipse Award winner War Pass. The others expected to run are Big Truck, runner-up in the Sam Davis, and Atoned.

Robin Smullen, assistant to trainer Barclay Tagg, said having a race over the course could be a plus for Big Truck in his attempt to upset War Pass.

"Some horses don't handle that track the first time," said Smullen. "War Pass is probably not going to be one of them, because he has already shown he runs well anywhere he goes - although you never know. Our horse worked well here Sunday and he's ready to go."

Eibar Coa will ride Big Truck in the Tampa Bay Derby.

PaceAdvantage
03-11-2008, 12:40 AM
This is the kind of campaign that gets a horse beat on the first Saturday in May. War Pass needs to be tested before the Derby.

JPinMaryland
03-11-2008, 01:12 AM
I got to say this years derby trail seems to be one of the slimmest pickings in a while. Just disappointing, but maybe things will change.

john del riccio
03-11-2008, 05:45 AM
This is the kind of campaign that gets a horse beat on the first Saturday in May. War Pass needs to be tested before the Derby.

I was thinking the same thing, is this going to be his last prep or will he show up in the Wood ?

John

DanG
03-11-2008, 07:04 AM
I was thinking the same thing, is this going to be his last prep or will he show up in the Wood ?

John
He is going to the Wood John.

In their defense, they mapped this out months ago. If he scares off competition in the Tam Derby (and he has) and / or Wood, I don’t know what else Zito can do about it.

Agreed that if he starts in the Derby having NEVER looked at a rear end / played roller-derby into the first turn / felt dirt pelting him in the mush / it will leave the odds on gamblers very nervous….as it should!

jonnielu
03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
He is going to the Wood John.

In their defense, they mapped this out months ago. If he scares off competition in the Tam Derby (and he has) and / or Wood, I don’t know what else Zito can do about it.

Agreed that if he starts in the Derby having NEVER looked at a rear end / played roller-derby into the first turn / felt dirt pelting him in the mush / it will leave the odds on gamblers very nervous….as it should!

Agreed, and a post well off the rail could make for a very uncomfortable first half.

jdl

rastajenk
03-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I tend to disagree with the notion that one must be tested. If I had a Derby contender that already had the earnings to get in, I'd be satisfied with the path of least resistance. Especially if I had one clearly superior to the rest. I'm usually against imposing human psychological considerations upon the horse; just let 'em run, the faster the better.

While it won't make for a very exciting race, presumably, if I were an avid War Pass fan, I'd be all right with this. I'd even consider skipping the Wood and using the Derby Trial as a paid workout.

classhandicapper
03-11-2008, 09:50 AM

I agree.

He needs some kind of seasoning inside/outside/behind horses, a contested pace etc... IMO, experiencing one or more of those things and also trying to run 10F in a huge field for the first time is a lot to overcome.

john del riccio
03-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I wonder if they will try & teach him something in the TB derby by forcing him to rate. if no one goes, they aren't going to stranngle him and mess him al up. Interesting to see what plays out.

John

Semipro
03-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I wonder if they will try & teach him something in the TB derby by forcing him to rate. if no one goes, they aren't going to stranngle him and mess him al up. Interesting to see what plays out.

JohnNo you don't fix what ain't broke his front running ways has him a perfect record so far. Looks more like they are ducking him than he's ducking them.These paid workoputs will put some bottom in his stamina and will prove useful when the big races come.

lamboguy
03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
i had a horse that won the sir barton, and trainer decided to take a shot at belmont. my horse got dusted in the race and never came back. i have always thought the tougher the race the better the horse runs in his next race.
i wish zito all the best luck with this guy, he certainly has big time ability, but to be ready to win in kentucky with lack of tough competition will be a challenge.

jonnielu
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I tend to disagree with the notion that one must be tested. If I had a Derby contender that already had the earnings to get in, I'd be satisfied with the path of least resistance. Especially if I had one clearly superior to the rest. I'm usually against imposing human psychological considerations upon the horse; just let 'em run, the faster the better.

While it won't make for a very exciting race, presumably, if I were an avid War Pass fan, I'd be all right with this. I'd even consider skipping the Wood and using the Derby Trial as a paid workout.

The desire to see a test is from the bettor's perspective, if War Pass arrives at CD undefeated, he will no-doubt be favored, yet still the distance looms. The distance here often trumps the record. If another figures to handle the distance better, there could be a bet to be made.

Of course, in the next two, War Pass may show the qualities that suggests he can win at 10f with un-abated speed. It has been done.

jdl

MickJ26
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
DRF.com

With Smooth Air out of Saturday's Tampa Bay Derby, only three horses remain as confirmed starters for the Grade 3 race, topped by Eclipse Award winner War Pass. The others expected to run are Big Truck, runner-up in the Sam Davis, and Atoned.

Robin Smullen, assistant to trainer Barclay Tagg, said having a race over the course could be a plus for Big Truck in his attempt to upset War Pass.

"Some horses don't handle that track the first time," said Smullen. "War Pass is probably not going to be one of them, because he has already shown he runs well anywhere he goes - although you never know. Our horse worked well here Sunday and he's ready to go."

War Pass handily defeated Pyro three times on three different racetracks.
Granted horses go through big time changes at two years old and three years old. But, if War Pass gets a preferred post position and a clean break in The Derby I just can't see Pyro or anybody else running him down. Just my two cents worth.

MickJ26
03-11-2008, 04:31 PM
DRF.com

Has anybody heard anything about the Asmussen runner Kodiak Kowboy lately?
Does anybody think they'll have a full field of 20 for this year's Derby?
As far as I know Pletcher and Baffert don't have any contenders with a big shot.
Thanks.

Frank Angst
03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Seattle Slew led at every point of call in all of his prep races then just about did the same in the Kentucky Derby (he was second by a head at first call). Winning Colors led at every point of call in all of her preps and then did the same in the Derby.

In the Santa Anita Oaks, two races before her Kentucky Derby start, Winning Colors defeated just three rivals. In his comparable start, Seattle Slew faced 12 but it didn't matter much as he was up six lengths at the second call in the Flamingo. He also started three times befor the Ky. Derby and the notes in his first two starts were "easily" and "speed in reserve." Those starts were an allowance and a stakes race, setting up a final prep in the Wood Memorial. Sound familiar?

I offer these details not to suggest that War Pass is the next Seattle Slew, I only offer them say that War Pass does not necessarily need a race where he rates behind horses, races with horses early, or a generally tough race on Saturday. I suspect he'll just keep going to the front and the connections will focus on teaching him to relax on the lead, something I think he has done well to this point.

His biggest question will be the 1 1/4 mile distance. In terms of preparing for the Kentucky Derby, I don't think it's going to matter much whether there are two horses behind him at Tampa Bay or ten. This distance question won't really be answered until the first Saturday in May. At this point, I'm guessing he can get it but we'll see.

I know as fans, it's very exciting to see a horse rally from behind but there is something to be said for pure speed as well. If he carries that speed, I don't think anyone is going to catch him and I don't really think facing full fields in prep races will help him either way in this regard.

joeya
03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
I'd be willing to bet they have a full field ... give an owner a chance to run in the Derby and they"ll jump on it.

That said, the result could be 9 or 10 horses who have no realistic shot at winning the Derby, but some may say that's case every year anyhow.

I think there are still plenty of runners on "The Trail," although it is about time to start separating the "contenders" from the "pretenders".

slewis
03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
As far as I know Pletcher and Baffert don't have any contenders with a big shot.
Thanks.

Regarding Kodiak Kowboy I believe he's a son of Posse.
10F is going to be a stretch for WAR PASS, for KODIAK KOWBOY, it would be a miracle.
If I remember correctly (I'm too lazy to check my notes) he's not the most correct horse I've ever seen.

Speaking of WAR PASS, he's kind of wide up front and I'm not crazy about how he galloped out in his race at GP. If he were trained by anyone else but Zito, who's a master preping for the derby, the combo of soundness and distance would make him a toss for me in the derby.

Does anyone think ATONED could upset him in the TB Derby??

Vinnie
03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
By reading many of the posts here on this board, and just because I get very pumped on a personal level when that first Saturday in May is so quickly approaching, I have become very excited just by watching the video links that another poster so kindly presented on War Pass on an earlier thread. To watch the way that this horse runs with such an effortless ease of gate is remarkable and visually impressive to say the very least. He reminds me very closely of another horse by the name of War Emblem because he has that phenomenal ability to run very fast, early, in the middle stages of the race and late as well. Rarely do you see a horse that possesses the ability to run so fast in all three facets of a race. Once in a while you get a horse that is just so talented and that has a "cruising speed" just like a Jet that he can literally control any race where he is sound from start to finish. Personally, I believe that it is breathtaking to watch just this sort of horse run his race. :)

I just hope that Nick Zito can keep him sound and solid up until that first Saturday in March... It will definitely be very interesting

Good Luck to All.

Robert Fischer
03-11-2008, 06:55 PM
i don't know what people are complaining about.

I could see if these were three fringe contenders and we just wanted a nice race , but come on we have one of the derby favorites.

If you think War Pass can win the Derby, you get to see your champ take "the next step".

If you think War Pass is going to fail badly at Churchill, then you get another fan-boosting win, hopefully a big beyer (at least bigger than pyro) , and you pray that he wins the Wood next.

It's a no lose situation.

Robert Fischer
03-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Does anyone think ATONED could upset him in the TB Derby??

no , but I would like to see Atoned run a nice race. He has a small probability of being a good horse, and we need more good 3yo.

MickJ26
03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Just wondering....

Until Nick Zito ran Sun King in the Tampa Bay Derby a few years ago, I don't remember this race being that big of a stepping stone to The Derby. I remember thinking to myself why Zito was running Sun King in a race like this when he could've ran for a much bigger purse in a more presitgeous race. Now, the TBD is becoming a marquee race on The Derby trail.
Thanks for any thoughts.

rokitman
03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks.
Mussy told me he's gonna be kept short.

JPinMaryland
03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
[ ]Has anybody heard anything about the Asmussen runner Kodiak Kowboy lately? ]

I think I heard earlier they were going to make him a sprinter and now I think they are not even sure. going from memory and a recent visit to the downey site here. He should be on Downey's site.

ny0707ny
03-12-2008, 12:34 AM
We all got spoiled from last year. I said after the Derby in 2007, you won't see another year like this for a long time. When winter came in 2007, I said the horses for next year don't look that great.

Sure enough now everyone is saying the same thing. Though War Pass is a stunner and has huge potential.

classhandicapper
03-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Seattle Slew led at every point of call in all of his prep races then just about did the same in the Kentucky Derby (he was second by a head at first call). Winning Colors led at every point of call in all of her preps and then did the same in the Derby.

In the Santa Anita Oaks, two races before her Kentucky Derby start, Winning Colors defeated just three rivals. In his comparable start, Seattle Slew faced 12 but it didn't matter much as he was up six lengths at the second call in the Flamingo. He also started three times befor the Ky. Derby and the notes in his first two starts were "easily" and "speed in reserve." Those starts were an allowance and a stakes race, setting up a final prep in the Wood Memorial. Sound familiar?

I offer these details not to suggest that War Pass is the next Seattle Slew, I only offer them say that War Pass does not necessarily need a race where he rates behind horses, races with horses early, or a generally tough race on Saturday. I suspect he'll just keep going to the front and the connections will focus on teaching him to relax on the lead, something I think he has done well to this point.

His biggest question will be the 1 1/4 mile distance. In terms of preparing for the Kentucky Derby, I don't think it's going to matter much whether there are two horses behind him at Tampa Bay or ten. This distance question won't really be answered until the first Saturday in May. At this point, I'm guessing he can get it but we'll see.

I know as fans, it's very exciting to see a horse rally from behind but there is something to be said for pure speed as well. If he carries that speed, I don't think anyone is going to catch him and I don't really think facing full fields in prep races will help him either way in this regard.

There are no hard fast rules in racing, but IMO experience is an advantage. Seattle Slew was so great, nothing mattered, but I bet Winning Colors would have gotten her head handed to her if she had a tougher trip that day.

If you are a trainer and you are trying to maximize the chances that War Pass will be ready, I think you might actually prefer to not have too easy a trip in his next 2 preps.

By the way, Seattle Slew was actually behind and outside a horse briefly in the Wood Memorial (stalking).

smokinjoe@bp
03-15-2008, 06:03 PM
war pass just got (passed) by the whole field,with 600k in show pool someone is sick. horse stopped badly,he's either hurt or has no heart when put in a pressing spot.....