PDA

View Full Version : Odd Conditions

Norm
03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
The 7th at AQU for 3/12/08 has a rather odd set of conditions. It reads thus :

F&M 4&up which have not won a race since September 12, 2007 OR 4 year olds. Weight 122 lbs. Non-winners of two races since January 12 (no year specified) Allowed 3 lbs. (No, I did not make a typing mistake, that's how it reads.)

So, who entered ? Six of ten entries have won one or more races since September 12, 2007. All entries are getting the 3 lb. allowance suggesting that the unspecified year for the allowance is 2008. It appears to my poor, tired old brain that the second part of the conditions negates the first part. Is this some new kind of gibberish or am I missing something here ? It's not the first time I've seen one of these at AQU. It vaguely resembles a type of race that will be offered later in the year where 4 y.o. N1Y's will be allowed to run against unrestricted 3 y.o's at nearly level weights, but this one seems a bit odd.

wonatthewire1
03-10-2008, 08:41 PM
they ran a race at Sunland on Saturday - $5,000 claimers who haven't finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th at the current meeting.

stu
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I read it the following way:

Race Conditions make two populations eligible:

a) All Four Year Old Fillies regardless of lifetime victories

and

b) All Mares, Five Year Olds and Older which have not won in six months

Weight Allowances would apply differently to each population:

a-1) Four Year Old Fillies which have not won in the past two months get 3 pounds off

a-2) Four Year Old Fillies which have won in the past two months get no weight off

b) All mares get 3 pounds off since a victory in the past two months makes them ineligible by the race conditions

stu
03-10-2008, 08:47 PM
they ran a race at Sunland on Saturday - $5,000 claimers who haven't finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th at the current meeting.

Which race number was that? Norm Amundsen doesn't write conditions like to what you are referring?

ezrabrooks
03-10-2008, 08:56 PM

2nd at TUP yesterday had similar conditions... They must be digging for runners. Last out odds were mostly all double digits.

Ez

OTM Al
03-10-2008, 08:56 PM
These aren't uncommon at all. They generally favor the 4yos (they will switch down to 3yos later) as they could have won two weeks ago and be in good form. You will also see things like 3 and up NW3L or 3yo so the older are horses that haven't won 3 but the younger can have won many

Achilles
03-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Re the NY race, go to the NYRA site and look at the condition book. See Substitute Race #4, which is the only filly race @ 6 furlongs with a purse of $33K. The conditions there for 3/12/08 are much clearer. There must be a big typo in the past performance conditions

Norm
03-11-2008, 02:08 AM
I read it the following way:

Race Conditions make two populations eligible:

a) All Four Year Old Fillies regardless of lifetime victories

and

b) All Mares, Five Year Olds and Older which have not won in six months

Weight Allowances would apply differently to each population:

a-1) Four Year Old Fillies which have not won in the past two months get 3 pounds off

a-2) Four Year Old Fillies which have won in the past two months get no weight off

b) All mares get 3 pounds off since a victory in the past two months makes them ineligible by the race conditions
Wow, it would have been so much more clear if they printed -
F&M - 5&up which have not won a race since September 12, 2007 OR 4 year olds.
Never-the-less, that is what they meant and the race checks out exactly as you say, with two mares that are N1Y and eight fillies that are recent winners. I guess they were just checking to see if I was awake (and I wasn't :( )