PDA

View Full Version : Slew O' Gold

46zilzal
03-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Never was aware that this one had a bar shoe in the 1984 Breeder's Cup Classic. I wondered why they loaded him up with bute so much that he was sick for weeks afterwards.

Ah Bute, creates bleeding, decreases kidney function requiring (they think) furosemide.

Do these vets ever read basic pharmacological interactions??

Shenanigans
03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Empire Maker ran with two bar shoes (in the Derby.) So do you think the same thing was done with him?:rolleyes:
How do you know that they "loaded" Slew O Gold up with bute?? I would assume that most horses running the BC that year (and years after) were "loaded" up with bute. What's your point?

46zilzal
03-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Earlier in that year the Slew crew made a big deal out of how their charge ran "clean" then on the big day they used so much bute the animal got ill.

Funny what money will do to your scruples.

JPinMaryland
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Is there a connection between bar shoes and bute?? :confused:

46zilzal
03-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Is there a connection between bar shoes and bute??
One would suspect a quarter crack: mobile when weight bearing causing inflammation and discomfort so the NSAID is used and the bar shoe holds the pieces together.

Wiley
03-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Earlier in that year the Slew crew made a big deal out of how their charge ran "clean"
They did not really have a choice either since he only ran in New York that year prior to the BC and New York had a lot stricter medication rules than other states in '84. SOG ran with a frog/hoof problem and bar shoe for most of the year if I remember correctly. I think the harder racing surface at Hollywood entered into the connections thinking as well.