PDA

View Full Version : PAR TIMES QUESTION...

Carterofmars
03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Where can I find PAR times for tracks in NYC; or vanywhere for that matter.

The only thing I could find was a book that cost 100.00 online. I tried calling Aquaduct but no luck.:confused:

Thanks in advance.

QuarterCrack
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
The $100 for the par times book is money well spent, in my opinion. The 2008 version of Horsestreet Pars should be coming out pretty soon, I would guess - Dave Schwartz would be able to say for sure, though. My personal preference is for Horsestreet, but you wouldn't be hurting yourself with the ones from Cynthia, either.

I don't really know of a free source for par times, but one way you might be able to do it is to get the Beyer Pars off the DRF website and then "reverse engineer" them back to the comparative time chart in Beyer's book(s) to see what the corresponding time is for each class. The only thing with that is I don't know if the standard chart from the book is still the one that is used today. And some tracks deviate slightly from the standard chart anyway. But that's one quick way that might work to some degree. Or, if you have a subscription to Simulcast Daily, you can download the previous year's charts and make the pars by hand - it would take you a very long time, but it can be done this way. Don't ask how I know :)

But I would recommend buying the book with the pars in them - they're professionally done and quite accurate, and you'd have pars for the whole country, not just Aqu/Aqi.

headhawg
03-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Thorostats.com has pars as well, although I cannot vouch for the quality. I have used the ones from Cynthia Publishing in the past and I was not disappointed. And as Quartercrack mentioned, Dave puts in a lot of time in the HSH pars and they also come in different formats if you need to use them in a spreadsheet or computer program.

takeout
03-15-2008, 03:06 AM
There’s some here too. http://speedfigures.com/pricing.html

This strikes me as one of those things that tracks (if they were on the ball) should be doing for their customers and also to help cultivate new ones. They should always have them available, free, for anyone that wants them. They index the races in the condition books. Doesn’t seem like much of a stretch for them to keep the times for them also. They have to put them with the result charts anyway. They should print them in the back of their programs and put them up on their web sites. Do any tracks do this already?

steveb
03-15-2008, 03:52 AM

This strikes me as one of those things that tracks (if they were on the ball) should be doing for their customers and also to help cultivate new ones. They should always have them available, free, for anyone that wants them. They index the races in the condition books. Doesn’t seem like much of a stretch for them to keep the times for them also. They have to put them with the result charts anyway. They should print them in the back of their programs and put them up on their web sites. Do any tracks do this already?

hong kong has pars(standards) for free.

i think it is a great idea that they give these things away, because it means an added advantage to those that can make them more accurately.

also, the more people that have the same numbers, then an even greater benefit ensues for those that don't have them!

personally, i believe raw data should be completely free to anybody and everybody, in a format easily importable into a database, as it is in many countries already.
because the more people that can access your information, then the more
chance those people will be armed with knowledge, and therefore boost turnover.
then it's up to the individual to do those things, whatever they are(standards for e.g.), that adds value to the raw data.

Murph
03-15-2008, 09:08 PM

This strikes me as one of those things that tracks (if they were on the ball) should be doing for their customers and also to help cultivate new ones. They should always have them available, free, for anyone that wants them. They index the races in the condition books. Doesn’t seem like much of a stretch for them to keep the times for them also. They have to put them with the result charts anyway. They should print them in the back of their programs and put them up on their web sites. Do any tracks do this already?Not that I know of. I've asked many of them not to. ;)

If the tracks remove that edge by providing this publicly for free the problems presented with the publishing of Beyer speed figures would pale in comparison. The people who find, purchase and use those pars will certainly jump ship before they drown in the suddenly violent mutuel pools. That will be money we will never see again and I think that is just the start of greater problems.

Where does a policy like that end? What info is given up next? Who will be tossed overboard without their liferaft next? When will they toss you in?

It would lead to many questions that can only make things worse. Good people will stop betting and all of us will have to pay more in the end.

Murph

tboles
03-15-2008, 10:28 PM
We do offer Pars at Thorostats that would meet your needs. Along with your subscription you will also have access to our Custom Pars Tool. This tool allows "you" to set the filters required for a par time. So if your looking for pars for a particular class, purse, sex, age, dist, surface, date range etc...this is the tool to have when it comes to constructing pars.

Our pars pkg currently comes with the offer of an enhanced report with some extras not found within the pages of the site.
Here is a clip of the Custom Pars Tool we offer....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1115/1018144791_7f4794d54e.jpg