PDA

View Full Version : Key Race Definition

eqitec
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
What is your definition of a "Key Race" as applied to a track the level of TAM competition?

Turfday
03-09-2008, 09:15 PM
This would be a definition that I would consider and be applicable to any racing circuit or racetrack.

A handicapping theory is that when two or more horses come out of a given race to win OR run very well, in particular against the same or better competition than they faced in that race, then that race could be called a "key race" (also known as a productive race).

If this theory holds true, it can be used as a useful handicapping factor to closely look at other horses that ran in that same race, who have not yet run back, in their subsequent starts.

Although any race can be a key race, most often a key race is derived from a race that was run with a faster than early pace and/or a faster than par speed figure (Beyer, etc.). Even horses that were well beaten in a key race should be looked at closely, especially if they were part of the pace in that race and faded, or put in a respectable finish.

1st time lasix
03-26-2008, 01:09 PM
I like to use key races in my handicapping of younger horses{2 and 3 years old} only. Also try to find "negative" key races where top finishers run poorly in their next start suggesting that most of the the others in the previous race don't have very much talent. Note taking....watching replays and reading charts are necessary for that type of analysis. Just another possibly way among many to find "a nugget" of useful information the public tends to overlook.

Tom
03-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Two or more horses come back an win or just miss, or step up and win.

Gap between winner and place horse, and a bigger gap back to third.
( like 1 -2 , 2 -7) the place horse gapped the filed by 7 yet it is hidden by the 2 beaten lengths to the winner.

Fast-Fast race shapes