PDA

View Full Version : Bronchospasm

jognlope
03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
I thought I just had a chest cold with wheezing, but doc at the ER said I had bronchospasm. Can this come during a cold, then leave after the cold? Worried.

BillW
03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I thought I just had a chest cold with wheezing, but doc at the ER said I had bronchospasm. Can this come during a cold, then leave after the cold? Worried.

Please talk to your Doctor - you don't want to get medical advice from some bozo playing a doctor on the internet.

jognlope
03-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm crying, I can't take this.

witchdoctor
03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Bronchospasm is what happens when you have an attack of asthma and causes wheeezing. Often people without asthma can get bronchospasm with bronchitis. Usually easily treated with bonchodilaters (albuterol and atrovent)and corticosteroids. Often after the bronchitis clears, you may not have another attack of bronchospasm. That said, severe bronchospasm can be life threatening. If the doctor sent you home, he probably does not think that it is severe. You should probably have follow up in 2-3 weeks to make sure that it has cleared.

I am not a Bozo and am currently a cardiologist in Oklahoma.

Rick

jognlope
03-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I knew there was a real doc out there among the cigar chewers!!

Well my brother John in Richmond got me through the day with lots of phone conversation. I cried quite a bit to him and to myself, just because bronchospasm is not something I've ever had or want to keep.

The nurse practtioner called me back from my doc's office and said we could do the allergy testing to include dander this week.

I think the decadron has kicked in . I managed to cough without the wheeze sound, though still producing a lot of phlegm (clear).

I did find several stores in bronchospasm/asthma symptoms with air fresheners, which I have used 3 voluminously in a small apartment to rid of the odor from my ktities who are still combating UTI syptoms (their sneezes actually stink). I threm them all away.

Thanks for your post!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071012080132.htm

jognlope
03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh yeah, you miight like this, there's a horse out there currently racing named "Ejection Fraction" owned by an M.D. (cardio?)

46zilzal
03-09-2008, 09:31 PM
You have to find out what the triggers are. Usual asthma (now called obstructive airway disease) has repetitive triggers that set it off: dust, emotional distress, known allergens, weather and/or humidity changes etc.

Typically, find the triggers and guard against them.

jognlope
03-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Except ER doc wrote for Combivent puffer, which costs just under $100!!. No way, I'm going to albuterol or something like that, is that as good?

jognlope
03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
thanks zilzal

phatbastard
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
i use combivent, and if your getting it for under a 100 your getting a bargain... chronic bronchitis is where i started....now COPD...do whatever it takes to correct your problem

jognlope
03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Okay, will talk to doc about the "cost of saving money" for my health! I hope you are doing well with that.

46zilzal
03-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Find a med that has been OUT on the market for 15-20 years has a good generic equivalent (and you know there are no significant side effects after that long on the market) and you will be fine and it will cost significantly less.

Problems with long term corticosteriod treatment are axis depression (makes the feedback to pituitary responses sluggish), dependence, thinning of the mucous membranes in the nose, rebound symptoms. Steroids also increase the chances of secondary bacterial infections. Dose related side effects include water retention, weight gain and changes like Moon facies. Cuts take longer to heal.

We used to have a drug rep showing us how nicely a betamethasome cream went into the tissues by rubbing it on the SAME spot with every demonstration. You would think the guy would understand that it thinned the skin and caused capillary fragility, but he didn't realize it until one could see blood vessels through the skin.

jognlope
03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm a little wary of that!! What I'd give to have my Pa around, whose "prescription" for angina was a swig of whiskey. God bless him. What I'd give just to have him around!!

JustMissed
03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
From wikipedia:[Quote][edit] When in doubt
If a question arises as to whether or not medical advice was sought or given, any party (poster, responder, or third party) may post the material in question on the reference desk talk page for review and discussion.
If the consensus is that the given response constitutes medical advice, the response in question will be removed immediately. During this process, responders are strongly encouraged to suggest ways to rephrase answers (their own or others') to present useful information without offering a diagnosis or other medical advice.[Quote]

Mike, If you want to cover your ass you might want to:

1. Close this thread
2. Remove the responses
3. Ban the responding doctors
4. Consult an attorney

JM

p.s. I have forwarded these post to the AMA for inquiry. I'm sure it is illegal to pretended to be a medical doctor and am almost positive that it is a violation of the Code of Ethics for a physcians to give medical advice or to prescribe medication(written or verbally) without at least some basic questioning of the patient(poster).

Steve 'StatMan'
03-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, on the bright side, the Albuterol will probably help you improve your Speed Figure by at least 10 lengths. ;)

Get well soon! :)

JustRalph
03-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Well, on the bright side, the Albuterol will probably help you improve your Speed Figure by at least 10 lengths. ;)

Get well soon! :)

:lol: :lol:

Pace Cap'n
03-10-2008, 12:09 AM
From wikipedia:[Quote][edit] When in doubt
If a question arises as to whether or not medical advice was sought or given, any party (poster, responder, or third party) may post the material in question on the reference desk talk page for review and discussion.
If the consensus is that the given response constitutes medical advice, the response in question will be removed immediately. During this process, responders are strongly encouraged to suggest ways to rephrase answers (their own or others') to present useful information without offering a diagnosis or other medical advice.[Quote]

Mike, If you want to cover your ass you might want to:

1. Close this thread
2. Remove the responses
3. Ban the responding doctors
4. Consult an attorney

JM

p.s. I have forwarded these post to the AMA for inquiry. I'm sure it is illegal to pretended to be a medical doctor and am almost positive that it is a violation of the Code of Ethics for a physcians to give medical advice or to prescribe medication(written or verbally) without at least some basic questioning of the patient(poster).

Are you for real?

46zilzal
03-10-2008, 12:12 AM
You have never seen a medical practitioner at a party then have you? You are overwhelmed for free advice, NON BINDING since there is no formal appointment or billing.

JustMissed
03-10-2008, 12:41 AM
You have never seen a medical practitioner at a party then have you? You are overwhelmed for free advice, NON BINDING since there is no formal appointment or billing.

Have you ever seen BillW respond to a post in "Off Topic"?(see post #2)

Had you been observant you would have noticed that BillW was the board moderator this evening and he responded to Jognlope's medical question within 6 minutes-and what was his response? Appropriately it was for her to seek the advice of 'her' doctor.

These guys don't get to be moderators by being dumbasses and not knowing the legalities of the net.

JM

chickenhead
03-10-2008, 01:06 AM
These guys don't get to be moderators by being dumbasses and not knowing the legalities of the net.

Then why don't you let them worry about it. They certainly don't need you forwarding anything to the AMA.

JustMissed
03-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Then why don't you let them worry about it. They certainly don't need you forwarding anything to the AMA.

:rolleyes: WTFIITYAH?

JM

jognlope
03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
well I was all happy last night until I woke up this morning and it was back. I just ignored it and took a walk, panting the whole time, in the cold. Maybe it helped oxygenate I don't know. I'm working, refuse not to do my job as usual.

I get to take the decadron again at 3:00 so hopefully it will help. I can't get the inhaler until wed when I get paid. If I have to go back to the ER i'll just go...

46zilzal
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Unless you get to the SOURCE of the dyspnea, covering up the symptoms (steroids) will only do just that.

It could be mechanical (rib cage, musculature, decreased flexibility), allergic, systemic inflammation first showing up in the soft tissues of the lungs, etc etc.

Without an accurate etiology, symptomatic relief is not getting to the cause.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
:rolleyes: WTFIITYAH?

JM

That's odd - we're we're all wondering the same thing about you right now.