PDA

View Full Version : 08Mar08SA Selections

SRK
03-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Race 1

A group of mediocre maidens open up Saturday’s card, and it looks like a case of choosing the best of a pretty sorry lot. For top honors, I am going to focus on the first and second time starters, as those with more experience have shown little. Philo Beddoe (3), the morning line favorite, made up good ground after a poor start in his debut, and with that experience and better luck today, could be too much for these. Sharp work since last raced. Another second timer, Lago de Oro (6), is somewhat of a mystery. He wasn’t totally embarrassed when facing straight maidens on the turf in his debut back in December. In addition to changing surfaces, he gets a new jock, and adds blinks for trainer “Sudden” Sam Scolamieri, who just might have something up his sleeve today. Erratic work pattern is a concern. Lord Let It Be (4) debuts for Brian Kornier. While not known for his first timers, Kornier is a solid trainer, and this one has shown some zip in the AM. Several others have a chance to hit the board. Mr Excessive (1) will be gunning from the poor rail, and it is certainly possible that no one will be out there on the lead with him. Should take them a long way, and have his number land somewhere up on the board. Bear Mountain (2) shortens up, had problems in his last, and if you look at his prior attempts, he merits a look with these. Finally, Der Van (8) could plod around the track again, and get a piece. Did I miss anyone?

Race 2

The rail is a nice place to be at this trip, and that is what first time for a tag Self Insured (1) draws. I’m expecting a pace meltdown late, and this one, with enough tactical speed to stay close, should be motoring down the passing lane. Dawn’s Early Sky (7) is a proven closer and finished just behind Self Insured two back. Although he does not appear to be at the top of his game, and a step slower than most of these on his best day, the expected pace duel helps his case. Most nine furlong races at Santa Anita are won on or near the lead, which is exactly where four time winner, Mt Orient (2) figures to be. Orient is only a half length away from being a perfect 3/3 over the turf here, and although he loses Gomez, this Mike Mitchell trainee looks like he will take some beating. Invader Kris Silver (6) is a want the lead type, and he’ll pay the price late.

Race 3

In a rerun of the opener, another group of cheapos line up for a $32K maiden claiming sprint. Tripped the Light (5) looks like she might do that at both the start and finish of this race. She woke up in her last, drops another notch, and might take them all the way. That’s a big if, however. If you don’t want to take a short price, you might want to consider taking a Short Line (1). She should improve second time out, but has several major obstacles to overcome, including the rail, the jock and the barn. At least you should get decent odds. Here Is Dj’s Buddy (2) was sent out for an afternoon gallop on Valentine’s Day, and I expect her to do better today. Ditto for Steel the Honour (4), who was off slow in her debut and deserves another chance as well as a mention on your exotic tickets.

SRK
03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Judge Gallivan (6) is a good bet here. He certainly fits class-wise, his on or near the lead style plays well at this distance, and he appears to like both Santa Anita and the AW. We’ll rule in his favor. Old-timer Spriggzee (2) ran well in his last, and is reunited with Nakatani. Trainer Ral Ayers has made the most of his limited chances. Would be no surprise. Sir Chimi (4) should be included underneath in your exotics. He does his best running at this class level. Owned and trained by Mark Glatt, he is not going to get the soft pace he saw last time, but none the less, should get up late for a piece.

SRK
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Race 5

With a little luck, a contested early pace, and a patient ride by Corey Nakatani, Seeking Answers (3) could pull a minor upset here. Corey has won with this veteran, and is two noses short of having three winners. Both the first two morning line favorites are vulnerable here, and I’ll take a stand against them in the win position. Like a Tiger (7) looks to come up short on speed, and doesn’t appear to have the pace to stay close to the leaders or the late kick to prevail down the lane. Soupy (5) is a front runner who will be pressured early, and appears to prefer longer. He’s 0/3 at the flat mile. Other than the fact that Orbits World (1) got the unlucky rail, and is running for low percentage connections, I think he has a shot to circle most, if not all of them. He ran decently first off a long layoff, and if he can avoid the bounce, or better yet move forward off that, he’ll be a contender. Can you believe he ran against Lava Man two back??

SRK
03-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Race 6

None of the firsters jump off the page, so I am going to look for one of those with racing experience to break their maiden in this dash. Risk Addiction (8) is a speedy and deserving favorite. Unless someone pops, he looks to go gate to wire. Wearehaving Funyet (10) could complete the exacta, and at a price. His last, a turf route, should prove to be useful prep, and he finished just behind the top choice two back. Bondi Babe (2) figures to sit just off the pace, and make a move late. Include on your tickets. Suziqcutie (11) also has a chance for a piece of the pie.

SRK
03-08-2008, 06:28 PM
NekoBay (6) looks primed for a top effort second off the bench for John Sheriffs. There is not a lot of early pace entered, and I expect this one to sit just off the leaders and fire a big shot turning for home. I’m concerned that Monsanto (3) will have too much to do late. He appears the class of the field, but he’ll have to keep in touch with the leaders to have a chance. Hello Sunday (4) might get overlooked here, and like Monsanto will be a late threat. I like Turf Paradise shipper Billy Allen (2) to outrun his odds. He’s in good form and could last a long time near the front end.

SRK
03-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Race 8

Outside posts have done well sprinting down the hill, and so has Tyler Baze. Not only does Eva Beaver (11) have that going for her, but she has been facing better, is working well, and I’ll take my chances here. Whimsical Miss (10) is drawn just inside the top choice. She has been freshened, and has run well here in the past. Canani and Talamo add to the attraction. Athena of Troy (6) will be mowing ‘em down late, and needs to be included on your tickets. Ransom Captive (3) makes her stateside debut for Hollendorfer, and is also working well. No standouts here, so you’ll get a square price if you can solve the puzzle.

SRK
03-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Race 9

I’m not getting off Golden Doc A (7) until she lets me down. Something she hasn’t done lately. She’s blossomed nicely since last fall when she flopped in the G1 Oak Leaf, and I think this race has been her target ever since. Frankel sends out two in the G1 Santa Anita Oaks, and both of them have a chance. Lovely Isle (1) finished a length behind the Doc last month in the Las Virgenes, and I think Frankel also likes his chances with Ariege (8) who goes turf to AW and just missed going down the hill in the La Habra. Divine Legacy (3) is improving with every start, and might sneak into the tri or super at a price.

SRK
03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Race 10

I actually have a harder time with these downhill sprints than the cheap maidens that usually close the card. Here we have horses converging from several points on the class ladder as well as switching surfaces and distances. Makes it tough. OK - enough whining. Gray Black N White (8) is drawn nicely outside his main rivals, and has run well over this course. Canani drops him a notch for this claimer, a move he excels at. Exceeding (3) is a legitimate threat, and looks good from every angle. Would be no surprise. Bitter Bill (2) is on a half price sale today. He just missed in the G3 Baldwin here a year ago, and I like Tyler going down the hill. Include on your High 5’s. My Friend Luis (10) is the favorite, but I think he’s vulnerable. He appears to be both outclassed and unproven over this layout.