PDA

View Full Version : Computer group

imanatm
03-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I hear alot of noise about a computer group.. what ever that is ... that bets all the overlays in each pool so that it corrects just before post. I hear thay make 20 mill a year. IM not really interested in who they are and where they bet. I am interested in the fact that the overlays in the place and show pools are eliminated every single time in the last minute. Does anyone see that happen in the exacta pools??

Dave Schwartz
03-08-2008, 12:00 PM
First, "they" only wager on perceived overlays.

Second, since "they" wager so much money and some of it is based on incorrect assumptions (as are everyone's assumptions to one degree or another), they actually create or enhance some other perceived overlays.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Cangamble
03-08-2008, 01:56 PM
First, "they" only wager on perceived overlays.

Second, since "they" wager so much money and some of it is based on incorrect assumptions (as are everyone's assumptions to one degree or another), they actually create or enhance some other perceived overlays.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
If the computer group wins at a ROI that is less than the takeout rate, then they hurt overlays more than they help them in the long run.

And again, I'm pro Whales and pro computer programmed betting, but I'm also stating fact.

toetoe
03-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't forget that "they" can lose several percent and still profit nicely post-rebate. We little guys demand MORE. :jump:

Dave Schwartz
03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
CG,

Absolutely true.

It would seem that, as the years progress and the public gets smarter, the overlays become less profitable and more difficult to find. Such is the result of "progress."

Such progress would be exagerrated with "the whales."

Would the individual bettor be better off without whales? Certainly. But racing might not be.

Either way, we have them and I would strive to become one.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Cangamble
03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Don't forget that "they" can lose several percent and still profit nicely post-rebate. We little guys demand MORE. :jump:
If a big bettor gets back 25% I could care less if they also lost at a rate that was greater than the takeout or even at the takeout rate. Those type of bettors are great for the game in every way.

Cangamble
03-08-2008, 04:19 PM
What has really made the difficult is that the dumb money/sucker money has mostly been removed because of slots and other forms of internet betting which provide the addict (and dart pickers) with a bigger bang for the buck.
Every other game on this planet lets a gambler last longer.

Internet Poker has an average rake of less than 5% per hand. They also give back a good rebate at the end of the month to those who play a lot.

Blackjack has a house advantage of around 1.5% if memory serves correctly.

Slots have an average take of less than 10%. But slots are for completely mindless fools anyways. My question is why don't they have takeouts ranging as high as Woodbine tris (28.2%) ?

Betting on sports too has an average take of 5%.

Nowadays you can play 10 races an hour or more, sure it isn't 30 hold em hands or 30 blackjack hands, but the take is quite higher than 3 times the rates for the other two games.

Bruddah
03-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Who in the hell is dumb enough to play Woodbine tri's anyway? :confused: :D

Rico8812
03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
The original "Computer Group" was led by Billy Walters, widely known as the most successful sports bettor in America. They don't be the ponies though.

lamboguy
03-08-2008, 08:49 PM
mr walters entered that endevor along with the english people, i beleive he owned about 10% of the place. but the first hundred people in line every morning was his guys making horse bets that never made it into the parimutual pools back in those days. i think he won something liek $10 million in 2 weeks betting horses.

he also beat a roulete wheel in atlantic city vs. steve wynn. i think he beat mr. wynn out of $3 million in a weekend.

dutchboy
03-09-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.brianmac.com/walters.htm

HUSKER55
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
From that link I have to say I like his style

:)

46zilzal
03-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Who in the hell is dumb enough to play Woodbine tri's anyway?
Lot's of people.

Cangamble
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Lot's of people.
WEG counts on stupid people to remain stupid.