PDA

View Full Version : Daaher retired

ny0707ny
03-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I knew something had to be wrong with him. Two terrible last races he ran. I thought my handicapping was going south fast.

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43968

46zilzal
03-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Noticed it as well. Reminded me a bit of how fast Shug's filly, Storm Flag Flying fell to pieces as well.

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
You mean other trainers besides Lukas have horses go bad on them? Who woulda thunk it?

rgustafson
03-07-2008, 08:47 PM
You mean other trainers besides Lukas have horses go bad on them? Who woulda thunk it?
That's a good one PA, short and sweet.

classhandicapper
03-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Yea, but if Lukas trained the horse he'd get 2-3 more starts in cheaper company. ;)

46zilzal
03-08-2008, 10:51 AM
There is a big difference in knowing when a horse's condition hints to the trainer to back off than from having everyone in the grandstand's noticing it before the trainer makes the same move: Lady's Secret among several others.

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
There is a big difference in knowing when a horse's condition hints to the trainer to back off than from having everyone in the grandstand's noticing it before the trainer makes the same move: Lady's Secret among several others.I suppose the big, rich, successful owner is blind as well?

Or doesn't he/she count in the equation?

the little guy
03-09-2008, 11:28 PM
It is worth noting that had they retired Daaher at the end of last year he would have stood for $60K, or more, and received a lot of quality mares. By taking the " sporting " route he will now most likely service a handful of much lower quality mares at half that rate giving him little chance to succeed as a stallion.

I'm certainly not advocating these crazy retirements ( the Sheik already bought Grade 2 winning Pyro for stud duty next year apparently ) but it is important sometimes to note what can happen if someone doesn't take the money and run so to speak. Now, surely Shadwell could well afford to take that risk, and this will not be a severe monetary blow to them, but at the very least all of us ( and I have been as critical as anyone ) maybe should take a good look at this situation as a " what could happen " and maybe gain a little perspective on why many people retire early. Most aren't nearly as wealthy as Sheik Hamden.

What's fair is fair.

classhandicapper
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
TLG,

I don't know much about how the stud fees are calculated, but I have to think that if the price went from 60K to 30K and the quality of fillies changed that much, the existing system is extremely inefficient.

I don't see how a couple of superior races justifies an increase in value so dramatically and/or how a couple of sub par efforts that could easily be related to injury reduces the value so much. Either the 60K is wrong, the 30K is wrong, or they are both a little wrong.

I have a lot of experience investing (in other things). I think the values should be much more tied to a longer term record and a somewhat subjective analysis of what actually happened to the horse (among other things). Mediocre horses sometimes get very sharp for a few races or catch a few favorable trips and very good horses sometimes go bad or get injured.

If the economics of the sport weren't such a disaster, I suspect there would be a ton of money to be made in a game where the prices are so volatile and based on such short term and possibily insignificant performances.

All that said, your point is very well taken.

the little guy
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Inefficient is probably the right word. However, I think if you asked people in the business they wouldn't greatly disagree with the numbers. Three months ago Daaher looked as sexy as you could get. Now he's flopped with an injury. It's a huge swing.

I guess it's probably fair to say all the numbers are too high. It would be interesting to see where they went if the Sheik announced tomorrow he was no longer purchasing at horse auctions.

Bruddah
03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Inefficient is probably the right word. However, I think if you asked people in the business they wouldn't greatly disagree with the numbers. Three months ago Daaher looked as sexy as you could get. Now he's flopped with an injury. It's a huge swing.

I guess it's probably fair to say all the numbers are too high. It would be interesting to see where they went if the Sheik announced tomorrow he was no longer purchasing at horse auctions.

Can we say, they would fall in the realm of being more REALISTIC! :confused:

toetoe
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
He had his 180 seconds of fame, I guess.

alysheba88
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Too bad. Has been a fabulous bet against last few starts

firstofftheclaim
03-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Maybe he was just never that good. Mike Fox beat him.

MickJ26
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Looks like Daaher followed the same career path as Discreet Cat.

Same races last year concluding with a dominant win in The Cigar only to flop the year after, then an early retirement.