PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with Computers in Handicapping (Long)

jhilden
03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
From what I read on this board, the general consensus for many is that computer software programs cannot pick constant winners, but point the handicapper to contenders worth further study. Also, there have been discussions on the merits of database regressions for finding plays. Even though the debate on computers and handicapping will continue forever, I still would like to open a discussion on computer experiences in handicapping

First ,more about me. I grew up in Philadelphia and had family in Queens. My parents traveled a lot so I would spend days with my great uncle who loved horseracing. When I was six, he started taking me to the Big A and Belmont. These trips continued until his death when I was ten. Since that time and until my 20’s, I never visited the track; I had more interest in girls, cars, and other sports. I was in the Marines until age 26 when I was medically discharged. This is when I started my interest in horseracing (Again) and became a frequent visitor of Philadelphia Park. The PP’s were foreign to me so I read as much as possible. My first books were Free’s “ Handicapping 101” and “ The Handicapper’s Condition Book” by Quinn. I then bought the “Best of Thoroughbred Handicapping”. I soon had an idea on how to handicap using a pencil and paper.

Once comfortable in dissecting the PP’s in a basic way, my thirst for knowledge expanded. I then read “Modern Pace handicapping”, soon my eyes opened and I crunched many numbers. This is when I first started keeping records documenting my plays and keeping track profiles and the losses diminished to the point of being acceptable for a fun day out at the track. But the work became tedious, so I started handicapping using MS Excel. With Excel, I set up a workbook that allowed me to punch in PP lines and output pace figs, a separate workbook for play documentation, and another for profiles. It was fun until the data entry became tedious also.

During this time, I still continued my pursuit of collecting handicapping books and systems (Most bought off ebay). I grabbed the Quirin and Scott trilogies, all books by Quinn and Cramer, and the DRF elements of handicapping series. I also got some of the Mitchell books and “Pace Makes the Race” by Schmidt and Hambleton. With this information overload, I needed to find a methodology, no matter how comprehensive, and get organized.

I soon discovered Brisnet and downloaded the manual for Allways. I read through the manual and found that many of the output screens had what I was looking for; it crunched the numbers for me and presented them in an organized format. I kind of balked at the price of the data files but I only planned to concentrate on one or two tracks, so I went for Allways. The results were not that bad, I was winning close enough to pay for the data files in no time. One day I turned $32 into $2k by winning a great trifecta; one of the few times that Allways had a high priced horse as a top pick. I was not necessarily using Allways for picks, but I paid attention to the horses it did pick. Without the big score, I was still performing mediocre with the program. After a year, minus the big score, I was at a slight loss. If I left out the money spent on data files, I would have been in the black. Plus at the time I was an engineering student and very computer savvy, so I wanted to go further in database analysis (Influenced by Quirin).

I discovered HTR and after looking over the trial and reading some of the documentation, I decided to take the jump into HDW land and pay for a monthly subscription. I justified the expense compared to Allways in that I could get data for every track in the country. The program was amazing to me. The screens were like PP’s on steroids and the trainer, jockey, and pedigree info was amazing. Exporting data into MS Access and studying took my game to the next level. With my training in statistics and risk assessment, I had a comfortable grasp on what to look for and what to caution. The one major problem I had was wagering. At this time in my life, for the horse playing equation, I had the handicapping down but not the wagering side. I grasped value, but somehow, was still making bad wagering decisions. I soon searched for a program that could help me in wagering. Plus, I wanted to play at a professional level and my wagering decisions kept me back

Then HSH came into play. Since David Schwartz has a disabled veteran’s discount, I had nothing to lose in trying the program except for the cost of data. I used both HTR and HSH together for awhile. But with two HDW accounts (I wish there was a discount for using multiple HDW data programs), I knew I had to drop one. It was a very tough decision, but I stayed with HSH. HSH did what I hoped it would, I improved on my wagering. I spent over 100 hours setting up and tweaking a method to use within the program. It is the closest thing to a black box I discovered – that is for picking contenders. I said close to a black box and this is after hours of research and set up. But, I still handicap further to justify picks. The program is not a black box out of the box; you need to do the work to get it close. For wagering, the method points to the value horses such as, the fourth pick may be the choice to bet, not the first ranked horse.

All in all, my experience with handicapping software has been a positive one. The most important point I learned was that out of the box, you cannot expect the program to be an automated system. You need to do the work and handicapping further should be conducted, especially when a high priced horse is your top pick.

As an example, HSH had an 8-1 horse as the top pick for the race. The favorite, who was 4/5 (Second pick), was a Scott Lake horse with Frankie Pennington riding and was second last out and dropping class, but, the horse did not meet the profile for the track. What to do? I set up my system to find the best three factors for a similar race level for claiming males on fast dirt for 8 furlong races. The factors it picked for the profile (In my database) were Early pace, Average Competitive Level, and Factor X. These factors were weighted so early pace got more weight and so on. Since the 8/1 had the top early pace figures and third for ACL and FX, it was top rated. After seeing this I knew I had to handicap further. I checked the 4/5 and noticed it had the best projected speed rating, sustained pace and class level. But again, it did not meet the profile. I then looked at the pace match up. The 8/1 had an ES of 8 but another horse had a 7 and looked to be in contention for the lead –it was 10/1. The 4/5 had an ES of 5 and looked to be near the front.

So the pace analysis looked to be a speed duel for the 8/1 and the other horse with the 4/5 staying back pressing. What the HSH system set up missed is that even though the 4/5 was not the best EP horse (Which the profile was set up for), it still had enough early speed to be near the front and win. I decide to skip the race as the 4/5 showed no value and ended up going off at 3/5. When the race was ran. The 8/1 shot to the front with the 10/1 horse staying back. By the second call the 8/1 was leading by three lengths with the 3/5 next. In the stretch the 8/1 hung on but was taken over by the 3/5 - the 8/1 lost by a length; a great effort, but not enough to win.

I have plenty more real life examples were a mid priced horse looked favorable and the favorite vulnerable and I won big. This is what I like about computer handicapping; in an instant the program sets up the race for the conditions I have set pointing to the contenders. The program has other screens to check these results and allows me to view this in an organized format making the handicapping decisions a bit easier.

What is your experience in computer handicapping?

njcurveball
03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Great post Mr. Hilden! And here I thought you were a 25 year veteran and you cut your teeth on the Brad Free stuff which cannot be more than 5 years old.

Maybe you had some great training when you were little and it stayed with you? The tool is not the key to winning, using the tool is. You seem to have mastered that. Thanks for posting and congrats on your success! :ThmbUp:

Jim

DanG
03-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Great reading your thoughts as always Jhilden!

I’m only sorry I can’t contribute to your thread at the moment. Ironically; I’m in the middle of a…software upgrade!!!

Stay well and best of luck this year. :ThmbUp:

completebill
03-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I read, on these forums, over and over, that there is, and can be, no "Black Box" computer handicapping program. My use of Netcapper is real close to automatic, and is CONSISTENTLY profitable. I pay taxes every year on gambling income. My positive R.O.I year-to-date, is 1.17.
I'm betting, with brief review (yes--a little personal decision-making), from two sources in the program. Admittedly, it took me a long time, a lot of work, and trial and error to find all the right settings for the program's parameters.
I also have to watch closely, since many tracks, handicapping factors, and spot-plays are cyclical in nature.
I bet using win bets on the program's top choices when the track is showing flat-bet profits. When results tail off, I keep up the data base and wait for a later date, when the top pick again becomes profitable Sometimes it's a long wait, some tracks are NEVER profitable, but I handicap a lot of tracks, and usually have quite a few showing "automatic" flat-bet profitability.
I also use the program's Spot Plays. I've built up good, large databases on them, and do watch the spot play charts, to see current profitability patterns for the individual spot plays and their subcategories.
I will occasionaly play a couple of exactas, and sometimes a pick 3 or pick 4, but I'm selective about it.
Again, it's taken a lot of work and a long time to tweak everything to this point, but it is now damn close to a profit-making "Black Box".
Please know that this long post was difficult for me. I suffered a traumatic amputation of the fingers of my left hand many years ago, and never learned to type in the first place. This is a slow, hunt-and-peck one-fingered operation for me.
If anyone wants to talk to me about this post, let me know, and I'll make myself available by phone.

Donnie
03-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Completebill--
investigate a voice recognition software program. in this day and age they are very reliable and very affordable. you will be surprised what your computer can do with voice commands!

Topcat
03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Congratulations Complete Bill on your success. That is a very nice roi.

Wiseguy
03-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Completebill--
investigate a voice recognition software program. in this day and age they are very reliable and very affordable. you will be surprised what your computer can do with voice commands!

Windows Vista has free voice recognition. Last week I was trying to capture some select passages from Modern Pace Handicapping but didn't want to scan/copy or re-type the material. Instead, I turned on Vista's built-in voice recognition feature and dictated the material into Word. At first it gets a lot of the words wrong but after "training" it awhile the results will improve. It "learns" your voice when you train it. It may be worth investigating for anyone who has difficulties with typing, or, is just lazy like me.

DanG
03-08-2008, 06:10 AM
I read, on these forums, over and over, that there is, and can be, no "Black Box" computer handicapping program. My use of Netcapper is real close to automatic, and is CONSISTENTLY profitable. I pay taxes every year on gambling income. My positive R.O.I year-to-date, is 1.17.

I'm betting, with brief review (yes--a little personal decision-making), from two sources in the program. Admittedly, it took me a long time, a lot of work, and trial and error to find all the right settings for the program's parameters.

I also have to watch closely, since many tracks, handicapping factors, and spot-plays are cyclical in nature.

I bet using win bets on the program's top choices when the track is showing flat-bet profits. When results tail off, I keep up the data base and wait for a later date, when the top pick again becomes profitable Sometimes it's a long wait, some tracks are NEVER profitable, but I handicap a lot of tracks, and usually have quite a few showing "automatic" flat-bet profitability.

I also use the program's Spot Plays. I've built up good, large databases on them, and do watch the spot play charts, to see current profitability patterns for the individual spot plays and their subcategories.
I will occasionaly play a couple of exactas, and sometimes a pick 3 or pick 4, but I'm selective about it.

Again, it's taken a lot of work and a long time to tweak everything to this point, but it is now damn close to a profit-making "Black Box".

Great post and thanks for sharing Bill. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

jhilden
03-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Completebill; congrats on your success. DanG, thanks and good luck to you also, I learned a lot from you. NJ- same, good luck and I also learned a lot from you in regards to database mining.

Yes, I have been in this game seriously for over five years. I never looked at a past performance as a kid because my uncle never used them; he inspected the horses in the paddock and post parade/warm ups. I can remember him running to the windows with me in tow trying to make the bell because he wanted to see the horses finish their warm-ups. He was very good at this and maybe some of it did stick with me.

Back to computers and black box systems, or even systems in general, I still believe in further handicapping just for the fact that establishing a legitimate favorite is key to profit. A race may have a spot play, but can that horses live to the projection?

When I handicapped with a hard copy of the DRF :sleeping: , I used to like when the M/L was omitted from some tracks. I would handicap and rank the horses projecting what their odds will be – who is the projected fav, who has no chance and so on. It was always fun to see how my choices checked out against the public. It also helped me get a good foundation on if the fav is legit or not. This really was powerful when I was using the method in MPH, If I handicapped a race and ranked a horse as the best and it ended up being a mid-priced horse, I was very happy – especially if it won:) .

DanG
03-09-2008, 09:22 AM
When I handicapped with a hard copy of the DRF :sleeping: , I used to like when the M/L was omitted from some tracks. I would handicap and rank the horses projecting what their odds will be – who is the projected fav, who has no chance and so on. It was always fun to see how my choices checked out against the public. It also helped me get a good foundation on if the fav is legit or not. This really was powerful when I was using the method in MPH, If I handicapped a race and ranked a horse as the best and it ended up being a mid-priced horse, I was very happy – especially if it won:) .
Jhilden;

One recommendation if I may be so forward…

Keep changing your location at Philly when you’re playing on track. Remember what happened when you were touting that group who wanted your picks? You were as hot as a pistol and they practically carried you out and pronounced you Mayor of Philadelphia. :jump:

Keep them guessing or your going to have a longer line behind you than Geno’s & Pat’s on a weekend! ;)

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/4a/275px-PatsSteaks.jpg

jhilden
03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
” Yeah Dan, but with the slots at PHA, it is easier to hide :jump: . I used to go to the local OTB at night and one time I was still dressed up from work, had my laptop computer, and calculator. This brought attention to myself and low and behold, a group was asking me for picks. I was hot that night and they called me the “Professor”. Later in the week, I was cold as ice; my new name became the “Asshole":lol:

DanG
03-09-2008, 10:11 AM
” Yeah Dan, but with the slots at PHA, it is easier to hide :jump: . I used to go to the local OTB at night and one time I was still dressed up from work, had my laptop computer, and calculator. This brought attention to myself and low and behold, a group was asking me for picks. I was hot that night and they called me the “Professor”. Later in the week, I was cold as ice; my new name became the “Asshole":lol:
LOL! :lol:

Perfect!...A horseplayers life in a nutshell.

completebill
03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Completebill--

THANKS to you and to Wiseguy for your kind suggestions!

dutchboy
03-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Have you ever used the speech in Excel?

Completebill--

Light
03-10-2008, 11:52 PM
What is your experience in computer handicapping?

Been capping since the mid 80's.Went with the fads. From the hand held class calculators,to the racing times,to pops and tips,to supershorse,to making my own variants,to reading every author who wrote horseracing,to tote board reading,to pace capping, to whatever.

Now I'm in the computer fad. But there is a difference. This time I'm using MY OWN PRODUCT. No one can convince me anything else is better. I took everything I learned from all those fads and put them all together in one simple computer program. In a stretch of 1 week recently at AQU it picked a $150k and a $250k Pk6 using its top 2 ranked picks that nobody had. Who says there's no black box? But did I bet them? Noooo. Did I believe it? Noooo.

I am now convinced that computer capping is the only way I am going to nail my goal as a handicapper. Blind faith may be the only way for me.Give me five contenders and tell me to throw out just one and I will probably throw out the winner in crucial times,just like the experts in the breeders cup group. The computer is not as smart as you are but its also not as dumb as you can be.Human condition. Like Spock,the computer is logical and not victimized by emotions. I keep hearing Obiewon when I'm studying the PP's too hard saying "let go,Light, use the program". DOH! None of the fads I used ever came close to this potential. Computer power in handicapping is the new plateau.

PaceAdvantage
03-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Here here Light! Excellent post.

And use the force!

Kelso
03-11-2008, 11:22 PM
In a stretch of 1 week recently at AQU it picked a $150k and a $250k Pk6 using its top 2 ranked picks that nobody had. Who says there's no black box? But did I bet them? Noooo. Did I believe it? Noooo.

Did you get at least a P3 out of it? (How long have you been testing this method?)

Light
03-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Kelso

I never take the output of my program that seriously that I would play its top ranked horses automatically. I didnt even know it picked the pk6's on either occassion until I recapped the results at night. Started my program in 2001,but its been an evolutionary work and still in progress. I saw it hit a $250k Pk6 (that nobody had) at SA a few years ago with its top 2 ranked horses,but to hit 2 large pk6's in one week is unprecedented. In the SA case,I was following along and after a 15-1 horse who was 2nd ranked won the 3rd leg of the pk6, I noticed the pattern and did play the last pk3 using its top 2 picks on blind faith for a modest return. But too little too late.

chickenhead
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
if I can make a (probably poor) analogy..

Handicapping by hand, using data printed out on a sheet of paper, is a lot like using a map. Some maps are very basic, showing only lines and names, some maps are very detailed and show more information. The greater the level of information the longer it takes to absorb the information, and make decisions about it.

To me, what you can do with a computer now, or what I'm trying to do, is more akin to using a GPS unit in your car...where you have a very detailed model underlying what you see, but you have the unit set up to only tell you what you need to know at that time. You can absorb and make decisions about the model in the off-time, not while you're driving. While you're driving, the computer knows what you've found to be relevant, and gives you only what you need to take the right exits.