PDA

View Full Version : Dubai World Cup 2008

ny0707ny
03-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Does anyone know if any plans to show this race live on any national network? What a missed opportunity last year in 2007 with Invasor vs Premium Tap. This was one of the most exciting races I have seen since I have been following horse racing.

It would be nice if a major network can cover this race in 2008. It only last 2 minutes. I will even be happy with a PIP in the corner of screen.

If anyone saw this race live last year on TV they would have become a horse racing fan.

I think this year we will have Curlin vs Premium Tap. I don't know others in it yet.

The Bit
03-06-2008, 11:44 PM
I doubt it. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

For those of you who live in NJ you can access Live Dubai streaming video through the NJ Wagering platform. You have to be a member but it is great, I can see the whole racing Carnival live.

facorsig
03-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know if any plans to show this race live on any national network?

All of the races will be shown on two networks here in the UAE.
:jump:
Fred

robert99
03-07-2008, 10:52 AM
http://www.attheraces.com/home/?ref=main+nav&nav=home

for live video and video library.

BeatTheChalk
03-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Yah know how to hurt us ..over here in the Colonies :lol: ARe you moving
into one of those new super high rise condos .. on an island .. made in the
sea ? :bang:

robert99
03-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Yah know how to hurt us ..over here in the Colonies :lol: ARe you moving
into one of those new super high rise condos .. on an island .. made in the
sea ? :bang:

Well I must say I was tempted. Hobson spotted the Ras Al Khaimah condos whilst ironing my Times one morning. His eyes really lit up when he read they were offering a "free" Bentley with each apartment. Who then would drive me?
To be honest, Gasparilla Island, or the stilt houses off West Pasco are more me, but Des Little does advise that hurricanes can cause the tea cups to rattle a little from time to time.

firstofftheclaim
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Once the oil dries up the place is gunna look like Tatooine.

robert99
03-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Luke Skywalker should feel at home there then.

njcurveball
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Yoda maybe 900 years old, but I hear he can really pick up a horse and get him to the finish line. I bet he can still make weight! Who is he riding? :lol:

facorsig
03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
No man made islands in Abu Dhabi, yet, but the building I live in is quite nice.

RAK, Ajman and UAQ would be difficult places to live and are not good investments unless you have some other linkage to the region.

There will be oil here for another 200 years that I know of and probably a lot longer than that.

46zilzal
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I have a good English friend who is traveling there representing The Sporting Life (an English racing publication). He has send me several programs over the years as he is normally an on course bookie in Northern England. He is amazed at the "opulence" as he calls it. "Think Ascot, but add millions."

Oddzilla
03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
The Dubai World Cup was on ABC last year, and I thought it was going to air there this year too, but ABC doesn't have anything scheduled for that day yet. ESPN2 has the Florida Derby later that day.

CyberBet
03-25-2008, 09:53 AM
HRTV will cover Dubai http://www.hrtv.com/events.asp

HOY
03-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Can't verify the source as its not directly from ABC but got this:

The Dubai World Cup will once again air on ABC in 2008. Coverage will begin broadcasting at about 2:30 PM Eastern.

from http://gohorsepower.com/Thoroughbred/2008-Dubai-World-Cup-nominees.html

And the same info is listed here http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/triple-crown/television-schedule.aspx

FlyinLate
03-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Can't verify the source as its not directly from ABC but got this:

The Dubai World Cup will once again air on ABC in 2008. Coverage will begin broadcasting at about 2:30 PM Eastern.

from http://gohorsepower.com/Thoroughbred/2008-Dubai-World-Cup-nominees.html

And the same info is listed here http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/triple-crown/television-schedule.aspx

American Turf Monthly also stated that it will be on ABC at 2:30 EST

ny0707ny
03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I checked Yahoo TV schedule for it. It is not listed on there as of now. They have other shows on.

ny0707ny
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
If I figured the times out right here, NY time the first race that day goes off at 9am our time. Curlin race will go off at 1:30pm.

If I am wrong someone correct me. I can see the race probably on YouTube when someone puts it on.

Pace Cap'n
03-25-2008, 07:11 PM
ABC will be showing the races on tape-delay.

Dubai time is eight hours ahead of New York.

To find the time anywhere in the world, go to Google and type in "what time is it in xxxxxx" without the quotes.

HOY
03-25-2008, 07:13 PM
If I figured the times out right here, NY time the first race that day goes off at 9am our time. Curlin race will go off at 1:30pm.

You are correct on all points, ABC is the replay. Most OTB joints should have the live coverage at least for the last 4 races, depending on when they open, mine confirmed they have it. Here is more on the wagering options.

The wagering menu consists of win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, and superfecta betting on each of the four live races with a Pick 3 on the last three contests (Races 5-7) beginning with the Dubai Golden Shaheen. There will be a daily double offered on races 6-7, the Dubai Duty Free and Dubai World Cup. The program kicks off with the Dubai Sheema Classic (UAE-I) for 4-year-olds and upward at 1 1/2 miles on turf, will kick off the card as Race 4 in the program at 10 a.m. EST (7 p.m. Dubai time). Race 5, the six-furlong Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-III) for 3-year-olds and up on the dirt will go to post at 11:10 a.m. EST. The Dubai Duty Free (UAE-I) for 4-year-olds and up will be contested at 1 1/8-miles on the turft at 11:50 a.m. EST as Race 6. The final live simulcast, Race 7, at 12:40 a.m. EST will be the Dubai World Cup for 3-year-olds and up at 1 1/4-miles on dirt.

samyn on the green
03-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Every year it is a wild goose chase locating Dubai PP's for the World Cup. Where the heck are they? I can not find them on the DRF site or formulator.

robert99
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Every year it is a wild goose chase locating Dubai PP's for the World Cup. Where the heck are they? I can not find them on the DRF site or formulator.

Samyn,

Free register at Racing Post site and closer to the day the PPs should be available.
There is already some build up data.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/guides.sd?psection=racingpost.co.uk&page=DubaiCarnival&category=The%20Key%20Formlines&story_id=965298&pill=3

Niko
03-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Samyn,

Free register at Racing Post site and closer to the day the PPs should be available.
There is already some build up data.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/guides.sd?psection=racingpost.co.uk&page=DubaiCarnival&category=The%20Key%20Formlines&story_id=965298&pill=3

Will the PP's be free? Will it have timeform ratings? I love the Dubai day but won't bet without a form and ratings. I've gotten it from DRF in the past.
I even think they were free for some races in the past

bobphilo
03-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Will the PP's be free? Will it have timeform ratings? I love the Dubai day but won't bet without a form and ratings. I've gotten it from DRF in the past.
I even think they were free for some races in the past

They have their own Racing Post Ratings. I personally prefer Timeform but these are free. The PP's for the whole Dubai card are up now at the Racing Post site.

Bob

bobphilo
03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
You are correct on all points, ABC is the replay. Most OTB joints should have the live coverage at least for the last 4 races, depending on when they open, mine confirmed they have it. Here is more on the wagering options.

The wagering menu consists of win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, and superfecta betting on each of the four live races with a Pick 3 on the last three contests (Races 5-7) beginning with the Dubai Golden Shaheen. There will be a daily double offered on races 6-7, the Dubai Duty Free and Dubai World Cup. The program kicks off with the Dubai Sheema Classic (UAE-I) for 4-year-olds and upward at 1 1/2 miles on turf, will kick off the card as Race 4 in the program at 10 a.m. EST (7 p.m. Dubai time). Race 5, the six-furlong Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-III) for 3-year-olds and up on the dirt will go to post at 11:10 a.m. EST. The Dubai Duty Free (UAE-I) for 4-year-olds and up will be contested at 1 1/8-miles on the turft at 11:50 a.m. EST as Race 6. The final live simulcast, Race 7, at 12:40 a.m. EST will be the Dubai World Cup for 3-year-olds and up at 1 1/4-miles on dirt.

The NYC OTB channel on cable usually covers the whole Dubai card on World Cup day so you can watch them live at home.

Bob

rastajenk
03-27-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm boycotting Dubai again this year, as in every year. It's just a giant advertisement for the tastelessness of excessive wealth in the midst of material need and spiritual poverty. And the horses that go over there from here are lost to us for months at a time. I can't support that. :ThmbDown:

facorsig
03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
It's just a giant advertisement for the tastelessness of excessive wealth in the midst of material need and spiritual poverty.

Come spend 1-1/2 years here and you will change your view. Horse racing is part of the local culture. If this area was truly spiritually poor and in material need, one might assume parimutuel wagering would be available in Dubai.

ny0707ny
03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I have a different view on that day. Someone with some insight should try getting these races shown on a national TV channel here so the sport of horse racing would finally start growing.

These are top quality horses from around the world. I would bet most horse racing fans do not even know these races since they don't show them on TV. When I first started following horse racing, I never knew they even raced there in Dubai.

No national coverage for these 6 races is beyond dumb. :bang:

joanied
03-27-2008, 05:58 PM
HRTV will broadcast the entire card...starting at 7am EST. I have it set to record.
If you can't get HRTV, ESPN2.com will brandband the race, but I'm not sure what time...check out their site for listing.

Hope that helps you...and they should braodcast the big race on one of the networks.... at least ESPN should televise an hour show on it...ggggrrrr!!

joanied
03-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't see anyone's picks for the Dubia card... I'm not sure I care about all the races, but since no one else has posted their picks, here are mine for a few of the races... oh, I let my heart rule my head in big races, so my picks are 90% who I want to see win. I think Premium Tap may give Curlin a fight...but don't see any other's that can beat him if he runs his race, including that Japanese horse...
I was surprised to see Cobalt Blue over there for the Sprint...I didn't know he was there...old Merv Griffin would have really enjoyed this.

Sprint:
Idiot Proof
Diabolical
Benny the Bull
Cobalt Blue

Mile:
Elusive Warning
Bar Cola

Sheema:
Better Talk Now (I hope, I hope, I hope)
Spring House
Yellowstone (a hunch, I live near Yellowstone Park!!!)

World Cup:
Curlin (I hope, I hope, I hope)
Premium Tap
AP Arrow
Well Armed
Vermillion

Tah-Dah!!
:) :)

Charlie D
03-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Click on race title and you should find Timeform ratings for every runner at DWC meet

http://www.godolphin.com/Entries.aspx

Niko
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
DRF finally has the PP's up

http://www.drf.com/internat/pps_international.html

samyn on the green
03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
The Dubai racing club assembled a real hum-dinger for the Saturday evening Dubai World Cup card (http://www.drf.com/internat/08dubwc.pdf). (http://www.drf.com/internat/08dubwc.pdf) Rarely will a card have over 10 Group/Grade winners and this card has 59 grade/group stakes winners. The class is being dealt out often and in spades.

The late pick 3 has a cumultive purse of $16 million dollars. Going to try to nail this pick 3.

Race 5 Dubai Duty Free- This is where I am going to single. #10 Literato (http://www.godolphin.com/HorseDetail.aspx?cid=1_2_1&id=459) is an absolute machine and has won 9 of 11 mostly in group competition. The win in the Group I Champion stakes confirms his class and the cutback to 9 furlongs should have him running powerfully in the lane. Class turf runners that win race after race are the most reliable horses to wager on and this is where I will hang my hat. The Godolphin home teams claims the the Duty Free for themselves. If Literato scores the game will get very interesting for my interests.

Race 6 Dubai Sheema Classic- This 12 furlong turf classic features a field with 9 Group or Grade 1 placed horses, one of the best races held anywhere in the world in 2008. This is the race where I feel value may be found. Going to spread out in this leg of the sequence, including as many as possible. Latency, Quijano, Sun Classique, Youmzain, Better Talk Now, Oracle West, Viva Pataca, Mourilyan, Doctor Dino and Gower Song have all proven that they belong and a deep spread might find a big price and the keys to a score. The vital form factors in a race like this are class and distance ability.

Race 7 Dubai World Cup- This looks like a possible walkover for Curlin and I agree that he is a formidable favorite in a race that has been dominated by American shippers at a short price. In this sequence the vast majority of pick 3 players will have Curlin singled. I too will be one that singles Curlin on my main ticket but the unexpected happens in horse races, so I will try to make the unexpected my friend. With the unexpected in mind, I will play an alternate contingency ticket that uses Premium Tap, Jalil and Vermilion just in case racing luck shines a bad light on Curlin.

Dubai Pick 3 Ticket A 10 / 1,2,3,5,6,10,12,13,15,16 / 12

Dubai Pick 3 Ticket B 10 / 2,3,5,12,15 / 6,7,8,12

CyberBet
03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=44273

TVG to carry Dubai as well.

netbet
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Thank goodness TVG is going to carry the races. Here in my corner of the world, HRTV does not start until 12 noon EST everyday. We are lucky to be part of the Meadows Racing Network and they only broadcast from 12P-12A...then we have the jewelry network!

I subscribed to the Sports package in order to get TVG. I will probably be going to Dish or Directv soon (although DTV does not offer HRTV).

Netbet

ny0707ny
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Never count out Premium Tap. I had him last year for this race and he almost got Invasor. Probably not as tough as last year, but this horse can run.

joanied
03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
ny0707ny...
I agree...and mentioned it in my picks post...he'll be coming, and I beleive he's Curlin's biggest threat.
May tbe best horse win....Curlin:)