PDA

View Full Version : Is this ethical Police Work?

JustRalph
03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
http://www.avpress.com/n/05/0305_s4.hts

This story kind of gets to me. I wonder if there isn't something else the cops could be doing.................... ???

Four arrested in dropped-wallet sting
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press
Wednesday, March 5, 2008.
By VERONICA ROCHA
Valley Press Staff Writer

PALMDALE Ca - Four women were arrested Friday on grand theft charges in a sting operation set up to determine whether individuals would turn in a bag or wallet containing $400 to Antelope Valley Mall personnel or law enforcement officials.
However, some of the women believe they were wrongly arrested and never given the chance to hand over the bag or wallet to authorities.

"They were given the opportunity to turn in the property," said Deputy Charles Lemke of the Palmdale Sheriff's Station. "There is no particular prescribed method in how we do it."

Individuals were arrested if they picked up the property and tried to conceal it or didn't immediately turn it over to authorities, who Lemke said were walking around the mall during Friday's sting operation.

An armed uniformed deputy or security guard, he said, walked up and stood next to the individuals who picked up the wallet.

"They made themselves very known," Lemke said.

Martha Valadez , 39, is one of those who believes she wasn't given a chance to turn in the wallet.

"It was like entrapment," she said. "I feel like it is an injustice to all of us."

The mother of four, ages 2½, 7, 10 and 12, said she was sitting in the mall's food courtyard, feeding her three daughters and watching her son, who was inside a game store adjacent to the courtyard.

Valadez said a woman, to whom she said she didn't pay much attention, was sitting across from her. She said she glanced back in the woman's direction, but all she saw was a brown checked wallet.

Valadez said she didn't see the woman leave the table, but Lemke maintained, "She (Valadez) watched the individual actually stand up and walk away."

Valadez said when she saw the wallet, she instantly thought of turning it into authorities. She told one of her daughters to pick up the wallet, but the girl said she was embarrassed to do so.

"We have always turned in things we find," she said. "I have always taught my children to return something they found."

After the daughter finally grabbed the wallet, Valadez said her youngest child, who is being potty trained, asked to use the restroom.

Valadez said she took the wallet from her daughter, then asked her son to hold onto it as she balanced the youngest on her hip.

She and her children headed to a restroom in the hopes of getting into a stall before her daughter soiled herself, she said.

When she walked out of the restroom, two men in plain clothes displayed badges and told her to follow them into a office, where they questioned her.

She told them she intended to turn in to wallet to the proper authorities, but her daughter had to use the restroom.

"It's not an excuse, it's the truth," Valadez said. "They didn't even give me a chance to turn it in.

"I didn't even open it and I don't even know what kind of information was inside."

~more stories of "not turning it in" at the link~

chickenhead
03-06-2008, 01:43 AM
I've never been a big fan of entrapment. Especially for something as stupid as this.

098poi
03-06-2008, 06:38 AM
This is beyond stupid. Is it against the law to keep something that someone else loses? It may be wrong (I have found and returned more than one wallet in my time) but what charges can be pressed? A staggering waste of resources and misdirected energy.

Murph
03-06-2008, 07:25 AM
http://www.avpress.com/n/05/0305_s4.hts

This story kind of gets to me. I wonder if there isn't something else the cops could be doing.................... ???Like what? You don't really expect our modern police force to actualy persue and apprehend dangerous criminals do you? They seem much more effective at keeping jaywalkers and housewives honest. I have wonder who they are planning on using all of those armored cars and tank rockets on.

Keep your rifles oiled and your powder dry, folks. This could be happening to your wife or husband any day the "authorities" so desire. All they have to do is stamp terrorist on your file and you can say bye bye to any constitutional rights you may try attempting to claim.

Murph

OTM Al
03-06-2008, 09:33 AM
They were pulling this crap in NYC subways as well. Like someone rushing to work is going to stop that second and take time to turn it in. Very ill concieved and expect the arrests made to be tossed right out. Complete waste of man power

JustRalph
03-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Just as a side note, this is in an area 50 miles northeast of LA. It is in LA county though. It is also an area that is struggling with Gangs taking over the entire area. What a crock................ a terrible waste of manpower.

GaryG
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Just as a side note, this is in an area 50 miles northeast of LA. It is in LA county though. It is also an area that is struggling with Gangs taking over the entire area. What a crock................ a terrible waste of manpower.That was a fine area until the city moved over the mountain. Lancaster and Palmdale have become South Central North. Same with Riverside County to the southeast.

46zilzal
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Isn't there enough REAL police work out there without creating "traps?" Fits right in with the old Police state philosophy giving these clowns MORE power. Soon they will be tasering these folks and finding ways to get away with it.

Real slugs at work.

GaryG
03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Soon they will be tasering these folks and finding ways to get away with it.Some of them could use a good tasering......:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I guess the default time out value is pretty low.

Times up! Your a crook!

kenwoodallpromos
03-06-2008, 01:11 PM
"CALIFORNIA CODES
PENAL CODE
SECTION 484-502.9

484. (a) Every person who shall feloniously steal, take, carry,
lead, or drive away the personal property of another... is guilty of theft."
They can never prove intent.

ddog
03-06-2008, 01:40 PM
i wouldn't turn it over to a mall security guard, you would have a better chance of getting it back to the person who "lost" it if you left it where it was when you found it.
for what the guards make , that is just a fringe benefit of the "job".

the normal cop would pull the 400 out and then say we found it but the money was gone and return it to the "owner".

They have too many cops there if this all they have to do.

BombsAway Bob
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
i wouldn't turn it over to a mall security guard, you would have a better chance of getting it back to the person who "lost" it if you left it where it was when you found it.
for what the guards make , that is just a fringe benefit of the "job".

the normal cop would pull the 400 out and then say we found it but the money was gone and return it to the "owner".

They have too many cops there if this all they have to do.
Maybe they were filming for "COPS"? For a follow up, California police are setting up a "Double" sting at Hollywood Park on a Friday night this summer. Plans call for a plant to drop a $400 voucher as they walk away from a SAM machine, & see if the finder returns it to a security gaurd or mutuel teller. After they bust the first hundred "crooks" at the SAM machine(in the Grandstand, not Clubhouse), plans call for them to set up another sting in the second race by the concert stage. A rube will drop an ounce of "medicinal maryjane" by the beer booths, & see if the finder returns it to security. That should make street safe again, & give FOX enough "COPS" footage to last until the NEXT Writer's Strike!

Tom
03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
484. (a) Every person who shall feloniously steal, take, carry,
lead, or drive away the personal property of another... is guilty of theft."
They can never prove intent.

Didn't "Felonious Monk" play jazz piano? :p

Pace Cap'n
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Twice in the last couple of years my wife has left her purse in a shopping cart and driven home. Both times, someone turned her purse in, and the store called and she got her purse back.

Having read of these over-zealous officers, would you even touch a purse or wallet you happened across?

wonatthewire1
03-06-2008, 06:28 PM
given those names, I would've run them through the INS system for matches...

just sayin'

:p

GameTheory
03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I would probably not give it to mall security -- I would see if there was ID inside and try to contact the person directly. I've done this before, never thought it was illegal to return something to someone and make sure they actually got it.

kenwoodallpromos
03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
He play "felonious" steal guitar!LOL!!

skate
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM

:lol:

Also, i've taken notice to the fact that we seem to hire (not all) "lots of Fat Falonious Cops" lately.

What's up wid dat?