PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre retires

stuball
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Announced this morning...will miss watching him
have enjoyed his performances and his fun reactions...

Stuball

Marshall Bennett
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Likewise . I'm glad he's leaving before he gets hurt .

DanG
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
This is when you wish that cliché’s in sports weren’t overused. Here all the positive ones apply because he was / is the real deal.

For those who love sports; He sure seemed to keep the reason we all started playing games…

http://spmedia.canada.com/gallery/00posted/0930favre.jpg

JustRalph
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
about half of the reason I watch football just went away................sucks!

after the year they had I thought for sure he would be back

John Madden is probably crying his eyes out right now :lol:

Dan Montilion
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
And Corey Webster becomes an answer to a trivia question...

Hosshead
03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
The kid (Rogers) who's been sitting on the bench for a long time waiting for his chance, is really good. I think he'll be fun to watch.

Overlay
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
It's great when someone can go out on their own terms, at the top of their game, and healthy.

OTM Al
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm going to be devil's advocate here, but Brett Favre is a bit overrated. I'm not denying he was a very good player, but he wasn't remotely as good as he is being made out to be. The reason? Interceptions. He would revert to a risk taker too often and his team would pay the price. His one super bowl win is the same as Trent Dilfer and Eli Manning. Would we say they are all time greats? His claim to fame is his athleticism and his longevity, but he was a bad decision maker and his best years were far behind him. He succeeded this year because the Packers had a very good team around him. Hall of Famer, of course and should be as soon as he is eligible, top 10 ever, I really doubt it.

Pace Cap'n
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
What Al said...

JustMissed
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
What Al said...

What's with all that crying he was doing......he was practically hysterical.

Not very manly IMO.

JM

DanG
03-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm going to be devil's advocate here, but Brett Favre is a bit overrated. I'm not denying he was a very good player, but he wasn't remotely as good as he is being made out to be. The reason? Interceptions.
I respectfully disagree Al on these grounds…

Prior to this year the Pack had a good 5-7 year stretch where I thought there talent was suspect on both sides of the ball. Many chances he took were the only shot that team had to compete. Combine that with some really suspect receivers and sub-zero deflections and many of his picks where explainable.

The longer I watch football the more it becomes evident that a good “X%” of picks should be put into a different categories.

Team picks: receiver runs the wrong route (See Jeremy Shockey!) :eek:
Deflections.
Situational picks: I.e…Hail Mary, 3rd and a mile and Westbrook isn’t there to take a screen 60 yards, any pick over 30 yards when success would have meant a scoring chance. Way behind in score and NOT protecting your numbers.
Average yard per attempt must be factored in somewhere. Men like this were taking 40+ yard risks, when Brad Johnson would check down to his mother if given the option.

Favre was the Nolan Ryan / John Wayne of his sport. He showed up every down and played with ZERO fear.

BTW: I have to tell this one story…We used to have season tickets to the Bucs. We were very close to the field one year and Brett rolled out to our side and planted to throw…he was blind sided square in the back with such force you could hear the concussion all over the stadium. He jumps up screaming at the top of his lungs congratulating the Buc who just killed him. The man was pure hickory as Kentucky horsemen like to say.

OTM Al
03-06-2008, 04:39 PM
But Dan, you just exactly reinforced what I was saying about him. Nolan Ryan is a great comparison. Long career, durable and when he was good he was very good but Favre also has the record for picks just like the big Texan has the record for walks. They are both hall of famers but they were too wild too often to be among the very best. That overtime pick in this year's playoffs was right in character with his play.

DanG
03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
But Dan, you just exactly reinforced what I was saying about him. Nolan Ryan is a great comparison. Long career, durable and when he was good he was very good but Favre also has the record for picks just like the big Texan has the record for walks. They are both hall of famers but they were too wild too often to be among the very best. That overtime pick in this year's playoffs was right in character with his play.
Not buying my alibis for the picks are you Al. :)

Fair enough…we just agree to disagree here.

taxseason
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
It was the lore and mystique of Green Bay that made Favre. If he had played in Seattle or Tennesee he'd been long ago retired and just another has-been.

In the age of Joe Montana and Tom Brady , Favre was nowhere close to that real talent. He's a scrub, him and Doug Flutie are in the same league. Scrubs is all.

ddog
03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
It was the lore and mystique of Green Bay that made Favre. If he had played in Seattle or Tennesee he'd been long ago retired and just another has-been.

In the age of Joe Montana and Tom Brady , Favre was nowhere close to that real talent. He's a scrub, him and Doug Flutie are in the same league. Scrubs is all.

FLUTIE...now THAT'S a low blow!

flutie couldn't carry his jock and yeah, Favre (imo) blew about as many as he won, but that's the "kind"
he was.

I thought it looked like he threw a "hard" ball to catch, contributed to lots of deflections.

I think the normal fan gets more fun out of following a guy like this , than some of the other robo-types the coaching staffs try to turn QBs into these days.

JustRalph
03-07-2008, 03:21 AM
I couldn't help but watch Brett Favre today in front of the microphones and think about Roger Clemens in front of the Microphones a few weeks back. What total opposites these guys are in my eyes.

Pace Cap'n
03-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Since Bret Favre started his first game for Green Bay, the Bears have started 21 different quarterbacks.